open carry in KY - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Kentucky Gun Forum > open carry in KY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

im buying the fam to live on im moving their

Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Back to the open carry question: you can expect more attention than you want, some places. Law enforcement type, for one, with questions spoken or unspoken about why the hell you are doing it. Nervous civilians afraid of guns for another. Curious children (mostly but not exclusively little boys) wanting to see the weapon. And last but definitely not least, the "Oh, so you're tough, eh?" kind.

That doesn't even take into account retention issues or the well-known "Who's an armed bad guy going to take out first?" argument.

I don't see the point of open carry by a civilian except when hunting or fishing, working on his own land, etc. The only non-LEOs I see doing it except for business (like the gun shop employee above) are people wanting to make an impression and/or a point. That's immature judgment in my book.

I carry concealed whenever I'm outside my apartment. Nobody needs to know that, and I don't receive undesired attention from strangers.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #13

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i see alot of folks carry openly i see nothing wrong with it i can for one get to my gun faster if its open on my belt then in my sock. but i really only asked the question to see if my pistol licsens from indiana was honord their and it is and i really only plan to open carry when im horseback riding in national forsest and on my farm

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
Back to the open carry question: you can expect more attention than you want, some places. Law enforcement type, for one, with questions spoken or unspoken about why the hell you are doing it. Nervous civilians afraid of guns for another. Curious children (mostly but not exclusively little boys) wanting to see the weapon. And last but definitely not least, the "Oh, so you're tough, eh?" kind.

That doesn't even take into account retention issues or the well-known "Who's an armed bad guy going to take out first?" argument.

I don't see the point of open carry by a civilian except when hunting or fishing, working on his own land, etc. The only non-LEOs I see doing it except for business (like the gun shop employee above) are people wanting to make an impression and/or a point. That's immature judgment in my book.

I carry concealed whenever I'm outside my apartment. Nobody needs to know that, and I don't receive undesired attention from strangers.
Good post...I wa sat a resturant a couple day's ago and a gentleman came in wearing a cowboy hat and had some kind of large pistol on his hip. Legal but a little odd looking, to me conceiled carry would have been better, but I'm not against open carry. Like the old saying the army uses, "Smoke'em if you got 'em"

Last edited by sarg1c; 03-11-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #15

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ill open carry every now and then, just to do so.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #16

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg1c View Post
Good post...I wa sat a resturant a couple day's ago and a gentleman came in wearing a cowboy hat and had some kind of large pistol on his hip. Legal but a little odd looking, to me conceiled carry would have been better, but I'm not against open carry. Like the old saying the army uses, "Smoke'em if you got 'em"
May I ask what restaurant? I open carry a lot of the times and I always have my cowboy hat on...maybe we crossed paths and didn't even know it...

And if it was me it was either a 1911 or a Springfield xd...I live in Trimble/Carroll county but I travel all over the state during the week with my second job.

And I'm deffinately a little odd looking.

Last edited by CaseyChadwell; 03-12-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=CaseyChadwell;1173889]May I ask what restaurant? I open carry a lot of the times and I always have my cowboy hat on...maybe we crossed paths and didn't even know it...

And if it was me it was either a 1911 or a Springfield xd...I live in Trimble/Carroll county but I travel all over the state during the week with my second job.

And I'm deffinately a little odd looking. [/QUOTE
Were you in ashland, Bob Evans? I not against open carry, I just thout to myself ,concield would not bring as much attention, but again I have carried open in town when I was younger. We are talking KENTUCKY, right...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post

I carry open fairly often. Because I like the holster choices better. 'm not a bad ass or making a statement. No bad guy is going after armed people. That is the most stupid thing I have ever hears. Show me shootings where this happens. From my research bad people seem to gravitate to where people are not armed.
I have never had a kid ask me about my pistol. and I've yet to hear the tough guy thing.
Now I have had officers ask me about it. They have been called about a man with a gun. I really don't have a problem with it. Being I stay pretty close to home all the police around here know me so if a call comes in now and it's my description they usually will drive by to mask sure it's me then wave or ask if I have bought/traded for anything new and cool. Mind you this is in a three county area (Rockcastle, Pulaski, Licoln Co.).

I don't live in a crowded area. I don't like crowds, it's why I live where I do. Thast'sa what the internet is for. Keeping me away form lots of people with handy internet shopping. I was in Louisville last year to check out Waverly Hills and did carry there. I didn't have any problems.

The making a statement people are doing just that. Making a statement. They like to make videos and act like jackasses for YouTube. If law enforcement asks me for my info I don'thave a problem witr hit. If it become a harassing tactic that might be different. But this has not bewen my experience in the 20+ years I have lived in Kentucky.

Oh...and Buy a good belt holster and retention is not an issue. When carrying around a tool that can kill people if called upon to do so is the wrong time to be a tightwad.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

[quote=sarg1c;1174997]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
May I ask what restaurant? I open carry a lot of the times and I always have my cowboy hat on...maybe we crossed paths and didn't even know it...

And I'm deffinately a little odd looking. [/QUOTE
Were you in ashland, Bob Evans? I not against open carry, I just thout to myself ,concield would not bring as much attention, but again I have carried open in town when I was younger. We are talking KENTUCKY, right...
I don't think so...maysville bob Evans a few weeks ago. Haven't been to ashaland in a while.