Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Kentucky Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f130/)
-   -   just wondering? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f130/just-wondering-88008/)

unclebear 04-02-2013 11:59 AM

just wondering?

Where do you think this state is heading?

shouldazagged 04-02-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 1200330)
Where do you think this state is heading?

It's done okay as a state for 223 years, and before that as the country's western frontier. I'm a native Tennesseean, but have lived in Kentucky for a very long time. I think it'll be okay. I'm not the pessimistic or conspiracy theorist type, unlike a lot of folks on these forums. I've had seventy-five years of watching things level out in the long run; and while there's a hell of a lot going on in this country that I don't like, there always has been, and the Ship of State is still afloat.

bassho 04-03-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shouldazagged (Post 1200464)
It's done okay as a state for 223 years, and before that as the country's western frontier. I'm a native Tennesseean, but have lived in Kentucky for a very long time. I think it'll be okay. I'm not the pessimistic or conspiracy theorist type, unlike a lot of folks on these forums. I've had seventy-five years of watching things level out in the long run; and while there's a hell of a lot going on in this country that I don't like, there always has been, and the Ship of State is still afloat.

While I tend to agree with you for the most part I do have some concerns. Kentucky's governor is more interested in playing along to get along with the white house depending of course on federal money to keep the state operating. He will not take a stand on the current gun debate except to say the solution should result from a national debate with everyone keeping an "open mind." Although he is said to be in good standing with the NRA his position in my opinion is little more than keeping his finger in the air judging the proverbial political winds.

sdiver35 04-03-2013 01:00 AM

My honest opinion...I have only lived here for three years and am already planning on moving. The taxes are too high. What makes me mad about the taxes are the two things they are used for are in shambles. The schools here are sad and the roads are horrible. $400.00 a year to register one car - not me!

I don't think there are any concerns about gun rights though.

unclebear 04-03-2013 04:47 AM

They way I look at it is I'm glade I'm not in new york I was up there when they decided to make everyone redo they vehicle registration $50 a vehicle or $55 depending I had three vehicles yep was pissed!

I love this state it has it far share of issues but I have a lot of family here and it's real nice to go places and have people know who you are and talk to you like a friend.

shouldazagged 04-03-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassho (Post 1201024)
While I tend to agree with you for the most part I do have some concerns. Kentucky's governor is more interested in playing along to get along with the white house depending of course on federal money to keep the state operating. He will not take a stand on the current gun debate except to say the solution should result from a national debate with everyone keeping an "open mind." Although he is said to be in good standing with the NRA his position in my opinion is little more than keeping his finger in the air judging the proverbial political winds.

Show me a politician who doesn't gauge the winds and I'll show you a politician who hasn't a hope in hell of being elected, much less re-elected. It's how the game has always been played in a democracy.

Kentucky is a Shall-Issue, Castle-Doctrine, Stand-Your-Ground state, and I don't think that's going to change. That's not, of course, the only issue here, and federal money is needed to keep any state functioning. But the gun issues are the ones that most folks on these forums seem concerned about.

I think the Commonwealth will stay afloat. Far from perfect, with enormous challenges--schools, infrastructure, and so on--but a pretty good place to live and own guns.

Ishooter 12-08-2013 12:57 AM

I lived in Kentucky for about 20 years then moved to Indiana. I need to get back to Kentucky. For all the things I do, Kentucky is much friendlier to what I do. I think it is the best state around. I was born in Ohio and when I was old enough I move out on my own and I moved to Kentucky. Then because of cheap property I moved to Indiana. I wish I had paid a little more and stayed in Kentucky. I will be moving back.

indy36 12-08-2013 02:57 AM

Not knowing for sure I'd guess you're seeing lots of people of color on the government dole, poor rural people, and drug problems with both. Welcome to America.

gtcaesar 12-08-2013 03:46 AM

Being a life long Kentuckian my biggest grief with our government is the fact that we are not a right to work state. As long as Beshear is in office that will never change because he is a union man. A lot of industry has left this state in the past several years yet all of these other states that have become right to work states are gaining new jobs. For instance we are seeing gun manufactures moving out of their anti gun states to relocate in more gun friendly states. KY could have been a great place for them to move to because we are very gun friendly but those companies chose states that weren't unionized. This state is full of good hard working folks looking for work but there isn't much here. Just in my town of Danville we have lost four or five big factories and now people are leaving to find work elsewhere. Now don't get me wrong. This is the greatest state anywhere but we have our problems just like other states. One of my favorite quotes comes from Mark Twain and sometimes I feel like it is true, but in a good way. "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens twenty years after it happens anywhere else."

Squawk 12-16-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtcaesar
Being a life long Kentuckian my biggest grief with our government is the fact that we are not a right to work state. As long as Beshear is in office that will never change because he is a union man. A lot of industry has left this state in the past several years yet all of these other states that have become right to work states are gaining new jobs. For instance we are seeing gun manufactures moving out of their anti gun states to relocate in more gun friendly states. KY could have been a great place for them to move to because we are very gun friendly but those companies chose states that weren't unionized. This state is full of good hard working folks looking for work but there isn't much here. Just in my town of Danville we have lost four or five big factories and now people are leaving to find work elsewhere. Now don't get me wrong. This is the greatest state anywhere but we have our problems just like other states. One of my favorite quotes comes from Mark Twain and sometimes I feel like it is true, but in a good way. "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens twenty years after it happens anywhere else."

I live in Louisville. When I buy a house, I am moving out of Jefferson County. Bullitt County most likely. Possibly Spencer or Shelby.

Louisville sucks. People are not friendly.