Hope this will help us keep up with new Iowa laws & etc - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Iowa Gun Forum > Hope this will help us keep up with new Iowa laws & etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

I hope that we get it just like Florida has !

Shooting one carp at a time !

Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

It doesn't look good for the changes in Iowa law this year. The following was posted on the Examiner.com on March 30, 2012

Iowa firearms legislation update

Sean McClanahan
Des Moines Gun Rights Examiner

The second half of Iowa's 84th General Assembly is beginning to wind down, and it appears that Iowa firearms owners are going to be left in the cold with nearly everything they had hoped to accomplish this year. A long list of bills was presented to the House of Representatives, but nearly all of them are going to die due to inaction.

Many of the bills died before they even saw the light of day. Once introduced in the Iowa House of Representatives, firearms related bills go to the House Public Safety Committee. The Chairman of that Committee is Rep. Clel Baudler (R-58). Rep. Baudler is also a member of the NRA Board of Directors, so one would think that he would be sympathetic to getting firearms bills pushed out to the full House for debate.

Not so.

Rep. Baudler was single-handedly able to kill the following bills by assigning them to subcommittees that never debated them, and he never pushed to have them brought before the full Public Safety Committee:

HF 208 – Disposal of firearms by law enforcement agencies
HF 209 – Firearms training for domestic violence victims
HF 320 – Emergency Powers Act
HF 2113 – Permitless carry of firearms
HF 2115 – Legislation “clean up”
HF 2116 – Repeal of the Iowa Permit to Acquire
HF 2160 – Allows carry at the Iowa State Fairgrounds
HF 2198 – Allows NFA weapons (this bill never got assigned to a subcommittee)

Two bills made it to the full House of Representatives, but never received a date for debate and vote. The fact that they died there falls at the feet of Rep. Kraig Paulsen (R-35). Those bills are:

HF 2147 – Allowed private security and private investigators to carry on school grounds with a professional permit to carry
HF 2361 – Strengthened Iowa's preemption law

Three bills did receive a full vote in the House, but never gained any traction in the Senate:

HF 2215 – Stand Your Ground
HJR 2001 – Reversed the DNR ban on using lead shot during dove season
HJR 2009 – Provide an amendment to the Iowa Constitution protecting the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

The failure of HF 2215 to get a vote in the Iowa Senate is the fault of Senator Gene Fraise (D-46). He does not plan to run for election in 2012, so his decision to not bring HF 2215 out of the Senate Judiciary Committee is of no importance to him.

HJR 2001 is still technically alive. According to the Iowa Legislative Website official schedule, joint resolutions that nullify Administrative Rules can be debated in the last part of the session.

HJR 2009 appears to be dead. Senator Mike Gronstal (D-50) has been very apprehensive about bringing up any debate that would change the Iowa Constitution, and it appears the right to keep and bear arms is just as unimportant to him as any other topic that has been discussed for a constitutional amendment.

In the end, what did Iowans gain this year? Nothing. Several legislators expressed an opinion that Iowans were given a huge victory when the state when to a “shall issue” form of permit issuance at the beginning of 2011, and based on that, they were not inclined to make any further changes to firearms laws. Rep. Baudler made a comment on WHO radio that Iowans are where they need to be with firearms laws right now. He went on to say that he would block any attempts to pass legislation that would loosen firearms rights in Iowa. It seems that the leaders of both the House and the Senate subscribe to his line of thinking.

The most disturbing part in the failure to move legislation is the failure of HJR 2001 to get a vote in the Senate. If the 84th Session adjourns and HJR 2001 dies due to the Senate's inaction, it will send a very strong signal to the DNR that they have the power to do as they please regardless of what Iowa's legislature says. The banning of lead shot during dove hunting season was discussed last year, and it was defeated. In spite of that, DNR produced an Administrative Rule to ban it anyway. That ban will take effect this year if HJR 2001 fails to receive a favorable vote in the Senate. If Senator Gronstal does not take up HJR 2001 for a vote, the DNR will get their way, and the will of the majority of the people in Iowa will lose.

The end of the session is currently scheduled for April 17, 2012. Many things can still happen in the next two weeks, but one thing is clear. The leadership in Iowa does not appear to be ready or willing to further expand or protect your right to keep and bear arms in the Hawkeye State.

-----

If you like this article, please share it on the social network of your choice.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Let's hope we can get at least the Stand your ground law passed, but I doubt it, I guess that's the joy of a part timers!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #14

any body have an idea of what the regulations and requirements are for an indoor range or where I mite look to find that info?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #15

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvwruger View Post
any body have an idea of what the regulations and requirements are for an indoor range or where I mite look to find that info?
You could look here to start but for state laws on range requirements I don't know. I will say you need A LOT of capital if you are looking at starting from scratch.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #16

Hi, everybody. I'm new here and also to Iowa. I'm a truck driver and keep up with state by state laws at handgunlaw.us which is a comprehensive site and kept up to date.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwash3rd View Post
Hi, everybody. I'm new here and also to Iowa. I'm a truck driver and keep up with state by state laws at handgunlaw.us which is a comprehensive site and kept up to date.
Welcome to Iowa and the forum!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #18

Did a little search on Rep. Baudler and not real sure he has our best intrest in mind!! As far as that goes not real sure about the NRA anymore.

Last edited by PatC; 06-10-2013 at 01:31 AM.