Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Iowa Gun Forum > Great ranges in the state

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great ranges in the state

I think this would be a good thread for this section. Where can we find ranges in Iowa that AREN'T part of big brothers plans? I grew up near, and shot for MANY years as a boy at Banner just south of Des Moines. Now I won't even go there, as they take your name, dl, gun info, etc, then charge you more money per hour than you can use in .22 ammo. Same goes for Polk City.

So where can we shoot? Do you know of a range? Post it here, and thank you for the info!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

so far Green Castle Range south of Swisher is that way but a guy just killed himself there so it may not be that way for long but overall its a nice range with no "official" supervision.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #3

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I'm a member of the Isaac Walton league by Elkhart pretty nice range some good folks...

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

We have a couple good ranges close to Wloo and CF. One at Black Hawk Park In CF and the other In Washburn. There is another on Hwy 63 going to Hudson. But not sure what it is, As far as public or privit

Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

When I lived in Central Iowa I visited the Ikes ranges in Marshalltown & Ames, and was a member at the Boone Valley Ikes. I also frequently shot at the free public range in Steamboat Rock. There are plenty, you just have to look.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

There's a very small range northwest of Granger in the river bottoms. It's pretty much a berm on public land, but no ones looking over my shoulder.

I don't like that there's no place to shoot in the winter unless you want to drive an hour to Ames Ikes. And I'm not sure that's a public range.

Would anyone else like to see an indoor range in DSM? Would people pay to shoot indoors in the winter?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I would pay to shoot indoors during the winter depending on what I can shoot. I live in northern indiana and there is a indoor range by me but I can't shoot my rifles there.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. What would you want to see in an indoor rifle range?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by save_garrett View Post
There's a very small range northwest of Granger in the river bottoms. It's pretty much a berm on public land, but no ones looking over my shoulder.
I've not been to that one yet. Any directions?

BTW, Ankeny IKES has a good range. For a yearly fee you can shoot their rages any time you want. Beats the .gov ranges in Banner and Polk City.

Last edited by huntmaster; 02-25-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #10

3108–3198 130th Ct
Woodward, IA 50276

That should get you in the general area.