Indy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Indiana Gun Forum > Indy

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
steve666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 627
Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
College campus violence is becoming a serious problem. And to disarm the potential victims is stupid beyond belief. Several states have recently enacted legislation to allow permit holders to carry on campus. Indiana is pretty much favorable to gun rights, so I expect in the near future there'll be some legislation to that effect.
I certainly hope for an attempt, but expect that the furor raised by the various groups of idiots will prevent passage.
__________________
An armed society is a polite society.
steve666 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truggles View Post
This really concerns me. I am originally from Decatur county but go to iupui downtown. There is a law that says that I cannot carry on campus... So I am extremely limited on when and where I am able to carry. And with other folks putting comments such as this one makes me want to demolish the no weapons on campus law.
Check our state law!!

As of July 1 2011 you can carry ANYWHERE so long as you have your permit.

Only exceptions are federal buildings or a building housing a court room.

I am a college student as well and you can bet your ass my PF-9 is along for the ride....discretely!!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
steve666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 627
Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You might want to check a little closer; I know that the state fair and certain areas of airports are still prohibited, and I'll put dollars to donuts that schools are still on the list.

__________________
An armed society is a polite society.
steve666 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
You might want to check a little closer; I know that the state fair and certain areas of airports are still prohibited, and I'll put dollars to donuts that schools are still on the list.
Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
IC 35-47-9
Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
Application of chapter
Sec. 0.1. The addition of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 applies to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.624.

IC 35-47-9-1
Exemptions from chapter
Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
(1) A:
(A) federal;
(B) state; or
(C) local;
law enforcement officer.
(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
(A) a school; or
(B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
(3) A person who:
(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
(1) in or on school property;
(2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
(3) on a school bus;
commits a Class D felony.
As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

I'm no lawyer, but the way i read that...if you have your CCW your good to go.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
truggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Idk. It looks kinda touchy there. It says below that that if you posses a firearm on school property that you commit a class d felony..... You can bet your ass I ain't gonna try it if I have a chance of getting charged with a class D felony. Thats some serious prison time. I will definitely look into it though.

Where do you go to school FMJ?

__________________
truggles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truggles View Post
Idk. It looks kinda touchy there. It says below that that if you posses a firearm on school property that you commit a class d felony..... You can bet your ass I ain't gonna try it if I have a chance of getting charged with a class D felony. Thats some serious prison time. I will definitely look into it though.

Where do you go to school FMJ?
Notice it says "Exemptions from chapter"...Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:...(3) a person who: (A) may legally posses a firearm.

I my way of thinking (reading) i carry a legal lifetime ccw, therefore i am exempt from the chapter, as i may legally posses a firearm. This wording was all part of the new laws that went into effect 7/1/11.

You can err on the side of caution if you so choose. Its your choice to make and i wont argue with your choice.

I, on the other hand, choose to err on the side of caution and discretely carry my PF-9 and make damn sure i make it home to my family from class every day. Concealed is just that, what they dont know wont (unless you have a gun/other weapon and threatening harm to myself) hurt you/them.

Where i go to school is a matter of national security

(not gonna advertise that on an open, public forum. When i advertised i am packing on a campus filled with uber liberal 'tards! 1 rent a cop on duty per each campus (pretty substantial square footage) does NOT leave me feeling very well protected!)
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
truggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
IC 35-47-9
Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
Application of chapter
Sec. 0.1. The addition of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 applies to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.624.

IC 35-47-9-1
Exemptions from chapter
Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
(1) A:
(A) federal;
(B) state; or
(C) local;
law enforcement officer.
(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
(A) a school; or
(B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
(3) A person who:
(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
(1) in or on school property;
(2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
(3) on a school bus;
commits a Class D felony.
As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

I'm no lawyer, but the way i read that...if you have your CCW your good to go.
Ok so I looked into this.....

If you notice right after it's says may legally posses a firearm it says "and" this means that you must also apply the line immediately following it. Possess the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

I'd suggest you reconsider your choice of carrying on a campus.
__________________
truggles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truggles View Post
Ok so I looked into this.....

If you notice right after it's says may legally posses a firearm it says "and" this means that you must also apply the line immediately following it. Possess the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

I'd suggest you reconsider your choice of carrying on a campus.
again, i am no lawyer and it looks like you could be correct...


But i shall reference the cliche judged by 12 as carried by 6...with all the killings that happen on campuses...i think i just may err on the side of caution.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Indy 1500 gun show Punisher56 Gun Shows 2 10-27-2011 08:46 AM
Indy 1500? Thomas Carey The Club House 7 03-16-2011 10:09 PM