Gun show rules?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Indiana Gun Forum > Gun show rules?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default Gun show rules?

So I just tried to go to my first gun show at Vigo county fair grounds and they had a sign that said no loaded firearms. I assumed it was like every gun shop in town where that doesn't apply to permit holders. I was stopped at the door asked if my sidearm was loaded, i said of course and was asked to disarm and return. Said nothing, walked off, and never went back. No guns=no money from me. I was just amazed I couldn't carry somewhere that you could so readily purchase a firearm and ammo at the same place. This standard at gun shows?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It has been the standard of most big city gun shows I've been to. Sometimes I leave the gun in the car, sometimes I just don't tell 'em I have one. I've never really though I needed one in a gun show.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Concealed means concealed. They don't need to know you have it on you.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's the way it is here. Weapon has to be cleared before entering the building. There have been instances of negligent discharges prior to this policy being put in place and the people running the shows are paying an arm and a leg for liability as it is. As someone else said, I'm not worried inside a gun show. Getting there and getting home, that's different. If you choose to CC anyway, something untoward happens and you could wind up in the back seat of a police cruiser. After that, CC might not be an issue. Your CPL could be suspended or revoked. I'm not rolling those dice.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring
Concealed means concealed. They don't need to know you have it on you.
I only open carry though

Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Every gun show I've attended has a similar rule Austin...
But, I usually carry openly, with 2 magazines on my left hip and the zip ties thru the action of the Colt... BUT, I install a set of my 'fancy' grip panels... just to 'show off'!

I've had a few comments on the grips and it has started a few conversations... Then I give them my business card and talk training.
I figure it's just another way to drum up some business for my 'TriggerTineTraining' company.

Plus I carry 2 knives, so if push cones to shove, the zip tie is history and one of the mags goes in and I'm ready in under 5-6 seconds...
I just don't worry about it anymore...

Austin, don't let it get you down... Have some fun with it!

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
"Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?"
"No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I only open carry though
There's a time for everything. There's a time to open carry and a time to carry concealed. If your principles get in the way of you going to a gun show. It's time to re-evaluate those principles.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Yeah gun shows here are the same way about no loaded guns. I always thought it was funny though because I could buy a gun, ammo, and a knife to get the zip tie off.

Carrying concealed I wouldn't offer that I had one. Open they see it they will tell you to take it to the car or drop the mag and put in a zip tie here.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #9

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

All of the gun shows I have attended in the last few years have a uniformed deputy asking every person if the have guns or ammo. Empty guns are zip tied. With as many doofus people who carry, I could see ugly things happening in a show with shoppers showing off their gun for sale or trade.

You may be surprised about how damn many people who will clear a 1911 by showing the chamber clear, dropping the slide, the dropping the loaded magazine. The Miami cop, in the famous video, that shot himself in the leg while demonstrating his competence with a pistol to a room full of children, did the same thing.

I see many people at gun shows that I would prefer never touched a weapon, loaded or unloaded. I have no problem leaving my firearm in the car while at the show. With a couple of hundred armed vendors and thousands of other people gunfire, accidental or intentional, could get out of hand in a hurry.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring

There's a time for everything. There's a time to open carry and a time to carry concealed. If your principles get in the way of you going to a gun show. It's time to re-evaluate those principles.
Would you give business to a place that told you to leave your cell phone outside if it's visible on your hip? What if they saw the clip for your pocket knife and asked you to leave? I'm not breaking any laws and I don't see a firearm unconcealed any different than a phone or knife n a belt holster. Its my constitutional rights to carry and Indiana allows me to do it openly. If a place of business doesn't agree with that I don't believe they're entitled to a dollar of mine.