Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Are You Going To Carry Concealed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Are You Going To Carry Concealed?

The question would be better as a poll, but that is really not why I am starting this thread. Maybe the better question ought to be, ""If you are going to carry concealed, what are you doing to prepare for doing so"?

In another forum, a newbie is asking if he should first learn to shoot like Deadeye Dick or spend his money learning tactics. Of course, the answers he is getting range from "buy this video" to "sign up with these guys' to even, "don't even think of carrying a gun until you can hit a Necco wafer at 100 yards". The trouble is, the guys giving the advice are not admitting to having ever been in a gun fight themselves, and most likely haven't been.

As someone who has been in several gunfights, here are my thoughts. Learning to think properly is the most important issue, and for everyone that does mean training of the right kind, and it also means weekly, if not daily, practice with gun handling and constant thinking about what you are doing and where you are.

The Truth is, provided people are doing what they should be doing, 90% of the people who opt for concealed carry will never draw their gun with an intent to use it. Of the 10% who do, less than 2% will ever draw it to use more than once. These numbers are based on LEOs and how often they draw and fire in the line of duty. Most LEOs put in 30 years without ever firing a gun except for practice or recreation. It is also true they do not practice nearly enough, but that is another story.

Sure, people who carry guns should be able to shoot and hit what they are aiming at, but that is the easy part. Handling the gun safely is also very important, but if you are going to carry, handling the gun correctly and creating instinctive handling is also important. ABC is circulating and broadcasting a video to "prove" that concealed carry in a classroom is worthless in protecting the person who is carrying and the rest of the class. It is powerful propaganda unless the viewer realizes that none of the concealed carry shooters have a clue what they are doing except for some lackluster marksmanship. They were not thinking but rather reacting, and it was clear there were no thought out tactics involved.

One of the problems that is going to face us in Illinois is that many people will do whatever training the law requires, get their permit, and maybe go to an indoor range and pop off a box of shells once in a while. Others will sign up with unproven trainers who know the law and know how to shoot and have no actual gunfight experience. A much smaller percentage will shell out big bucks for a Gunsite type of experience, or a Lethal Force Institue experience. While I have done the Gunsite experience many years ago and I admire Massad Ayoob, their training is based from different experience bases than the normal concealed carry permit owner needs.

The guy changing a tire at Midnight in the wrong part of town needs totally different thinking that a Kevlar coated LEO with a radio to summon backup.

The primary criticism I have with almost all of the training I have encountered is that it isn't realistic either mentally or physically. The person who has trained for years for IPSC competitions should try running a mile at full speed, then dropping for as many pushups as they can do, then jumping up to draw and fire while encircled by strings of firecrackers going off at all points of their compass and then decide how good they are. That come closer to simulating what the body and mind is actually going through in a gunfight than standing in an indoor range in a booth with hearing protectors and admiring the pattern on the target.

Now it is your turn. What do you think people ought to be doing to get ready?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Now it is your turn. What do you think people ought to be doing to get ready?
First they should be trained on safety. Because if they don't they are more likely to shoot themselves or someone else than than someone shooting at them. As for further training being proficient with the firearm they are using unless they are going to Afghanistan or somewhere. If they want to narrow the odds of being injured or killed take a advanced driving course as their drive to work is much more likely to get them killed than someone shooting them. PS For carrying a personal protection weapon hare no training is required.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

Liked 129 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I might....if necessary, but not before I relearn and learn more aikido and hapkido as well as the most definitive defensive small blade tactics known to mankind.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Liked 1763 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I do carry everyday. Have been for the last 5 years. I train a lot. Anyone that carries should be proficient with their weapon. I think that there should be a requirement to learn basic firearm safety before carrrying. But that is it. But we should put the responsibility on ourselves to be good shooters. If someone goes to the range once a year to shoot their carry gun, I think they are probably incompitant.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will be carrying and I would be ambitions to say I will be one of the first to apply but I certainly will apply within the first week of eing allowed to do so.

I am currently scouting for a carry pistol right now and have one in mind. Once Ipurchase the pistol I want I will then purchase a few holsters, ankle, hip, shoulder. Then practice practice practice. I will dry fire practice, I will holster draw practice, and I will shoot as much as I can.

I feel everyone should seek out firearm use and safety training but I am against any mandate or legislation which would force anyone to do so.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 725 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 218

I am from IL, however, I am going to wait quite a while or never apply. This corrupt state has enough info already. I have FL concealed, and carry in most states, for many years now. I doubt that IL will have a reciprocal clause. I do expect the carry laws to be very restrictive and not what you all dream about. I hope I am wrong on this. Wait and see.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

We are a little over 3 months from having a concealed carry law. Depending on what gets done or doesn't get done we could have "constitutional carry" like a few states, or we will have a permit system like most states.

I cannot see, given the current voting members, anything but a "shall issue" if we end up with a permit that eliminates Home Rule. If the legislators in favor of concealed carry block a too restrictive law, we end up with "constitutional carry" so they have a pretty big tool to use on those who want to heavily restrict concealed carry. It is always easier to block a bill than pass one, so there is real power available to those who profess to be pro gun.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I carry everyday and focus on training muscle memory. Whether one trains with an elevated heart rate or funky body positions is one thing, but the human body can and will run on auto-pilot if a specific series of moves are repeated over and over and over and over again.

Adrenaline works by placing intense focus different areas of the senses and movement: For vision, moving objects are prioritized over resolution/detail. There is greater focus on direction of sound over detail and more reliance on muscle memory than unique movement. Any weapon used during an adrenaline rush simply needs to be practiced repeatedly because when the rush hits, the body throws movement on auto and boosts the other senses.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
I feel everyone should seek out firearm use and safety training but I am against any mandate or legislation which would force anyone to do so.
I agree that even experienced firearm owners could benefit from renewed training, however, I'm sorry but the only reason the state of illinois would want to make it mandatory is financial. Any program they institute would be a hurdle not a help. The best thing they could do is to spend our FOID card money on PSAs for new gun owners.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Always remember that to train until you get it right is to put yourself in a position in which you will fail. To train until you cannot get it wrong is to ensure that your body AND mind will perform to the level of training you prefect and understand.

A little here and there will help. But to be able to actually rely on your training you must understand it and have the proper mindset.