What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2141 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by death01 View Post
If you ask them if they could teach how to use a gun will they do it? So I dont have to take a class..

I think I can learn just about everything online. I think I just need first hand gun experience
I started without much training some 20 years ago. I would not recommend it. Get the training.

Here is a link to where you can find local NRA courses.
http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx

And don't get hung up on Glocks or any other specific manufacturer. Play with as many guns as you can get your hands on.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Well I started off with a full size 1911, chambered in .45 ACP of course. It was the first handgun I bought. My skill level with handguns was very low when I bought it (only shot them a few times and nothing of that caliber) but my skill level with firearms in general was a lower middle part of the spectrum (at least on my scale). Overall it worked out great for me and with the help of youtube I quickly learned how to fully disassemble and reassemble my pistol.

I will reemphasize what others have said, if you have no or little firearms experience, take a class. It will be worth the money and will keep you and anyone around you safe.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess I have no choice but to take a class

Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Whats the most easy to use not expensive and little or no recoil out of these brands: Browning, Beretta, Glock, Kimber, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory and Taurus.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Whats the most easy to use not expensive and little or no recoil out of these brands: Browning, Beretta, Glock, Kimber, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory and Taurus.

Anything to do with recoil or flip will be determined by the weight of the pistol and the caliber. Any one of those brands can have better or worse handling. Ease of use is also subjective and has more to do with the shape of your hand than anything else. Rental handguns at your local range are a good place to see what a good fit is.

Any classes you take may allow you to fire a couple different models as well. In fact, when choosing a class in your situation I would look for that.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #26

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Your first handgun should be a .22. This is so you can afford the hundreds of rounds it will take to become a marginally proficient pistol shot. It should aslo be a decent quality gun, or you won't like it. My recommendation would be a Ruger MK I, II, or III, or (even though it's not a favorite of mine) the 22/45; in a revolver I would suggest the Ruger Single Six. These can be found used at prices that won't break the bank, and 20 years from now you will still love these guns. At least I do.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Well now you've done it, stirred the hornets nest. You have covered such a wide spectrum of guns listed above.

Just some generals about recoil:

The bigger the caliber, the bigger the recoil.
The heavier the gun, the less the recoil.
The longer the gun, less recoil.

This is just something I have learned. So if you shot say a 9mm out of a full size gun that was all metal, it would have very little recoil. Of course even a .45 out of my full size 1911 has been manageable for everyone I have put behind it, even some dainty girls

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

KJG67 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #28

I would suggest a .22, they have pistols, rifles, semi auto AR's and pump rifles, it is certainly user friendly. .22's are relatively cheap, including the ammo, which you can buy around 500 for $5. They make almost every popular gun model in .22's. There is almost no recoil and you don't even have to wear ear muffs while shooting. Hope I helped!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Well now you've done it, stirred the hornets nest. You have covered such a wide spectrum of guns listed above.
should I ?... mmmm....yeah why not.

Glocks suck wet garbage!

*runs away laughing*

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
INCOMING!!!!

Back to renting - try them all . There are petite flowers that can handle a .45 and big guys that just don't know how to handle a 9mm. You'll learn proper grip, stance, and correct aiming in class, which will make a world of difference when you actually start to try different guns. fa35jsf mentioned some items above.

You can't go wrong with most manufacturers. From a popularity standpoint, Glock, Ruger, S&W, and Springfield. You would be missing out if you didn't check out CZ's. And of course, you didn't mention Sig, Colt, or Bersa... You'll learn about DAO, SA, DA/SA and Strikers - they function differently, safety differently, and all handle slightly differently.

A common mistake for new people is to just buy what their friends have or are popular. It's like trying on a baseball glove for comfort, or a car that handles comfortably. There's more options that really should be looked at and 'test drove' before you drop around $500 (or more).