What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge)

I have no gun experience and know nothing about guns. I dont know anything so now i have to learn perhaps not everything about guns, but certainly alot. Id like to hear if anyone has any recommendations of a specific gunshop(s) in Illinois mainly in or around Joliet,Illinois. Im 21 and have a FOID card. I heard glocks are beginner friendly so glock is certainly a top option for me. Ill use the gun for range shooting and maybe home defense. I want a cheap gun but not too cheap that it may malfunction and whatnot. I just want a reliable non expensive easytouse handgun.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

If you are going to a good gun shop I would recommend Mega Sports in Plainfield IL. I use to call on them and they use to have a pretty impressive selection. And yes a Glock would be a good first semi auto pistol for you. Probably 9mm would be best to start with.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
If you are going to a good gun shop I would recommend Mega Sports in Plainfield IL. I use to call on them and they use to have a pretty impressive selection. And yes a Glock would be a good first semi auto pistol for you. Probably 9mm would be best to start with.

Thanks.
Right now Mega is my first option since its the shop closest to me.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The first thing you should do is attend an NRA Shooting clinic. Buying a firearm without understanding their function and use is not a wise decision.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

We just did the same thing....
I agree that taking the Fire Arms Class is the best choice..

I by choice started with a Sig Sauer Mosquito.. its gets bashed alot. IT can be fussy.. and I bought it knowing that...

But one of the reasons I got it was to learn.. I like the controls and the safety features. I like that it's need for high Velocitry Ammo etc. made me read more about Ammo.. I like that in an effort to avoid issues others had I took the time to learn about cleaning and etc. I like that unlike many .22LR it looks and feels like a full gun. And I expect we will add a Sig 226 or 229 to what we have in the future.

Before you buy anything.. if you can find the class take it.
Also there is a lot go good info on the Internet (and bad info) read, read, read.. it does give you a chance to learn what people think and what problems they have had with certain guns..

Before you buy anything.. KNOW THE LAW.
In WA state if the gun were loaded but in my own car. if I didn't have a conceiled carry permit.. I am committing a crime.

BUDGET for a good Gun SAFE or Vault.. Lots of info about which ones are easily bypassed...

We have a kid in the house so the gun never enters the house or is loaded in the house.. But you want to make sure YOU are the only one that has access.. vs vistors invited or otherwise.

When you get one.. I found buying some metal dummy rounds (just metal.. not blanks etc) and snap caps were good for getting familar with the gun at home without ever loading it there. (currently only loaded at the range)

The dummy rounds let you practic loading.. unjaming / ejecting the round and the snap caps let you get used to the trigger and firing without damaging the gun.. (if you start with at .22 LR etc most can't be "dry fired" whith out possibly damaging the gun.

I have always supported gun ownership but never had one.. so take your time.. guns are not safe or unsafe.. people are.. if you screw up.. it can have permanent consequenes..

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

People Like This 
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

As everyone stated above - take a class first and foremost. Safety, safety, safety, safety.

There's a lot of variables - what do you want to do with it? Then there's caliber selection. Then hammer vs striker fired. Then DAO, DA/SA, SA, striker, safety switch, trigger or grip safety, DA/SA. Overwhelmed? Don't be - we can guide you but can't decide for you.

Once you've taken a class which should include live fire, find a range where you can rent various manufacturers and a couple different calibers if you haven't already decided on one. Note - ammo is scarce right now and usually when you rent you need to buy ammo from that shop and hope they have that caliber in stock.

There is no 'best' gun. Don't buy a Glock because it's common and popular. Buy the one that feels best in your hand and has controls that are comfortable. The 'best' gun is the one that feels most confortable and that you shoot most accurate with, and no one can tell you what that is. They are not all the same. And as mentioned above, you need to consider how you're going to store it. Even if there are no kids in the house, you need to keep it away from stupid friends, curious guests, deranged family members, and of course bad guys.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are more than happy to help you get started. There are no stupid questions, so just ask.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you are looking for simplicity in a Glock, you may also wish to look at a revolver. You can see how the revolver functions (mostly) from the outside.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

vincent Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

As others have mentioned, please, do take a class. I also recommend you find a range that rents handguns and try out different ones, semi-auto

Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster
As others have mentioned, please, do take a class. I also recommend you find a range that rents handguns and try out different ones, semi-auto
Sorry, hit the send before I was done. Try out some revolvers. If your new to guns in general, I would buy something with a safety. You also have to decide wether you want something lite with more recoil or an all steel gun which is heavier but has less recoil. Don't rush into it. Taurus makes several reliable and very affordable handguns. Enjoy and be safe.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post

If you ask them if they could teach how to use a gun will they do it? So I dont have to take a class..

I think I can learn just about everything online. I think I just need first hand gun experience

Last edited by death01; 04-01-2013 at 08:11 PM.