Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/what-gun-should-i-get-i-have-no-gun-experience-gun-knowledge-87959/)

death01 04-01-2013 05:02 PM

What gun should I get? (I have no gun experience or gun knowledge)

I have no gun experience and know nothing about guns. I dont know anything so now i have to learn perhaps not everything about guns, but certainly alot. Id like to hear if anyone has any recommendations of a specific gunshop(s) in Illinois mainly in or around Joliet,Illinois. Im 21 and have a FOID card. I heard glocks are beginner friendly so glock is certainly a top option for me. Ill use the gun for range shooting and maybe home defense. I want a cheap gun but not too cheap that it may malfunction and whatnot. I just want a reliable non expensive easytouse handgun.

Thank you.

Sniper03 04-01-2013 05:07 PM

If you are going to a good gun shop I would recommend Mega Sports in Plainfield IL. I use to call on them and they use to have a pretty impressive selection. And yes a Glock would be a good first semi auto pistol for you. Probably 9mm would be best to start with.

death01 04-01-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1199342)
If you are going to a good gun shop I would recommend Mega Sports in Plainfield IL. I use to call on them and they use to have a pretty impressive selection. And yes a Glock would be a good first semi auto pistol for you. Probably 9mm would be best to start with.

Thanks.
Right now Mega is my first option since its the shop closest to me.

nitestalker 04-01-2013 05:22 PM

The first thing you should do is attend an NRA Shooting clinic. Buying a firearm without understanding their function and use is not a wise decision.:)

Ken_inWA 04-01-2013 06:35 PM

We just did the same thing....
I agree that taking the Fire Arms Class is the best choice..

I by choice started with a Sig Sauer Mosquito.. its gets bashed alot. IT can be fussy.. and I bought it knowing that...

But one of the reasons I got it was to learn.. I like the controls and the safety features. I like that it's need for high Velocitry Ammo etc. made me read more about Ammo.. I like that in an effort to avoid issues others had I took the time to learn about cleaning and etc. I like that unlike many .22LR it looks and feels like a full gun. And I expect we will add a Sig 226 or 229 to what we have in the future.

Before you buy anything.. if you can find the class take it.
Also there is a lot go good info on the Internet (and bad info) read, read, read.. it does give you a chance to learn what people think and what problems they have had with certain guns..

Before you buy anything.. KNOW THE LAW.
In WA state if the gun were loaded but in my own car. if I didn't have a conceiled carry permit.. I am committing a crime.

BUDGET for a good Gun SAFE or Vault.. Lots of info about which ones are easily bypassed...

We have a kid in the house so the gun never enters the house or is loaded in the house.. But you want to make sure YOU are the only one that has access.. vs vistors invited or otherwise.

When you get one.. I found buying some metal dummy rounds (just metal.. not blanks etc) and snap caps were good for getting familar with the gun at home without ever loading it there. (currently only loaded at the range)

The dummy rounds let you practic loading.. unjaming / ejecting the round and the snap caps let you get used to the trigger and firing without damaging the gun.. (if you start with at .22 LR etc most can't be "dry fired" whith out possibly damaging the gun.

I have always supported gun ownership but never had one.. so take your time.. guns are not safe or unsafe.. people are.. if you screw up.. it can have permanent consequenes..

KJG67 04-01-2013 07:46 PM

As everyone stated above - take a class first and foremost. Safety, safety, safety, safety.

There's a lot of variables - what do you want to do with it? Then there's caliber selection. Then hammer vs striker fired. Then DAO, DA/SA, SA, striker, safety switch, trigger or grip safety, DA/SA. Overwhelmed? Don't be - we can guide you but can't decide for you.

Once you've taken a class which should include live fire, find a range where you can rent various manufacturers and a couple different calibers if you haven't already decided on one. Note - ammo is scarce right now and usually when you rent you need to buy ammo from that shop and hope they have that caliber in stock.

There is no 'best' gun. Don't buy a Glock because it's common and popular. Buy the one that feels best in your hand and has controls that are comfortable. The 'best' gun is the one that feels most confortable and that you shoot most accurate with, and no one can tell you what that is. They are not all the same. And as mentioned above, you need to consider how you're going to store it. Even if there are no kids in the house, you need to keep it away from stupid friends, curious guests, deranged family members, and of course bad guys.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are more than happy to help you get started. There are no stupid questions, so just ask.

orangello 04-01-2013 07:51 PM

If you are looking for simplicity in a Glock, you may also wish to look at a revolver. You can see how the revolver functions (mostly) from the outside.

rickster 04-01-2013 07:56 PM

As others have mentioned, please, do take a class. I also recommend you find a range that rents handguns and try out different ones, semi-auto

rickster 04-01-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickster
As others have mentioned, please, do take a class. I also recommend you find a range that rents handguns and try out different ones, semi-auto

Sorry, hit the send before I was done. Try out some revolvers. If your new to guns in general, I would buy something with a safety. You also have to decide wether you want something lite with more recoil or an all steel gun which is heavier but has less recoil. Don't rush into it. Taurus makes several reliable and very affordable handguns. Enjoy and be safe.

death01 04-01-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1199342)

If you ask them if they could teach how to use a gun will they do it? So I dont have to take a class..

I think I can learn just about everything online. I think I just need first hand gun experience