Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   Traveling through Illinois (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/traveling-through-illinois-92602/)

jtivat 06-20-2013 11:22 PM

Traveling through Illinois

Hi I will be traveling through Illinois and would like to take my Hand gun. I have a Michigan CPL and know that I must place the firearm in a locked container in the back of the vehicle separate from the ammo. I am also staying at a hotel in Lincoln over night can I take the firearm in the hotel and have it loaded there? Also anything else I might need to know?

Thanks

winds-of-change 06-21-2013 12:07 AM

Yes, you can bring your firearm into the hotel room, as that is your "residence" for that night. You are right to keep the firearm in a locked case and in the trunk, back of the vehicle while you travel through Illinois. I highly suggest obeying the speed limit and other traffic rules and not get stopped. LOL

And even though you have a Michigan CPL, you still can't carry in Illinois.

jtivat 06-21-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1281929)
Yes, you can bring your firearm into the hotel room, as that is your "residence" for that night. You are right to keep the firearm in a locked case and in the trunk, back of the vehicle while you travel through Illinois. I highly suggest obeying the speed limit and other traffic rules and not get stopped. LOL

And even though you have a Michigan CPL, you still can't carry in Illinois.

Thanks yes I know I can't carry. Based on your not getting pulled over comment, will I have an issue with the gun if I do?

aandabooks 06-21-2013 01:38 AM

Don't volunteer the information. Unless you are suspicious in some other way it is unlikely that your vehicle would be searched. I have been pulled over literally dozens of times (damn being born with a lead foot) and I have never been searched.

jtivat 06-21-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1282003)
Don't volunteer the information. Unless you are suspicious in some other way it is unlikely that your vehicle would be searched. I have been pulled over literally dozens of times (damn being born with a lead foot) and I have never been searched.

Cool thanks should not be a problem will be with the wife and two little kids.

winds-of-change 06-21-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtivat (Post 1281939)
Thanks yes I know I can't carry. Based on your not getting pulled over comment, will I have an issue with the gun if I do?

You will not have an issue with the gun if it is being transported properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1282003)

And I agree, don't volunteer the information.

mybigguns 06-21-2013 02:05 PM

It does not need to be locked in the trunk.
You can legally carry it in the console of a vehicle that can snap shut, as long as it is unloaded.

ScottA 06-21-2013 02:27 PM

Here is the link to the document the Illinois State Police produced to answer questions about transporting firearms in Illinois. As someone who lives 2 miles from the border and is in IL nearly as much as IA, I keep a copy with me at all times.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

KJG67 06-21-2013 02:43 PM

Scott's got the answer. If you want more in depth reading on Illinois FAQ,, try this.

www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

jtivat 11-22-2013 12:51 AM

Guys I am going through your state again tomorrow night and have heard I can now carry my gun (I have a MI CPL) as long as I am in the car? Is this true? Also I want to take extra handguns do they still need to be unloaded and in a case?

Thanks