Sks mag rules il
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Sks mag rules il

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sks mag rules il

I have a all original sks that I inherited from my dad. The sks has a 5 round fixed mag and I was looking at putting a 10 or 20 round fixed mag in it. What are illinois laws on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 223 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jew1028 View Post
I have a all original sks that I inherited from my dad. The sks has a 5 round fixed mag and I was looking at putting a 10 or 20 round fixed mag in it. What are illinois laws on this?
Question on age ( C/R?), other smithing modifications? I'm also curious as to these rules by Fed. standard as well.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9203 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Will depend on where you are in Illinois. Some local governments have magazine capacity limits for both pistols and long guns, including Chicago (15 rounds), Oak Park (10 rounds), Aurora (15 rounds), and Cook County (10 rounds).

BTW- the "original" SKS has a 10 rd fixed magazine. It works quite well. It can be quickly reloaded with a stripper clip. On the other hand, change to an after market magazine (20 round, removable, etc etc) and you ARE going to have feeding problems. If you don't, go buy a lottery ticket- yer full of luck.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 563 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 2844

Quite a few years ago I was using 30 round removable mags in my SKS Norinco, and I never had a feeding problem with it. Not even when I quik fired it so that it sounded like it was fully automatic. Maybe that is because I had good quality mags, and not plastic.

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #5

I live in lee county which is about 40 minutes south of Rockford. I don't want a detachable magazine I'm looking to use a 10 or 20 round fixed magazine.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Liked 356 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
Question on age ( C/R?), other smithing modifications? I'm also curious as to these rules by Fed. standard as well.
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/content/state-laws-and-published-ordinances-%E2%80%94-firearms-2010-%E2%80%93-2011-%E2%80%94-31st-edition

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/index.html

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/publications-firearms-national-firearms-act-handbook

You are on your own to find your local ordinances....

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
Quite a few years ago I was using 30 round removable mags in my SKS Norinco, and I never had a feeding problem with it. Not even when I quik fired it so that it sounded like it was fully automatic. Maybe that is because I had good quality mags, and not plastic.
Yea I have had the Tapco mags and they suck. I have heard that the metal Chinese mags in 20 or 30 rds work well though.
I had a Tapco stock on mine. I just put it back to normal with the original furniture because I was not happy with the Tapco products. I have had other Tapco products that work well, just not the SKS products.
I also like the SKS the way it is. I have a few AR's to play with if I want to add gear.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 563 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 2844

The Norinco SKS came stock with a 10 round fixed magazine. I am using the one that came with mine still today with stripper clips.

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #9

I have the 5,10, and 20 round fixed mags I have the 5 round one on now I didn't want to put the 10 or 20 on if I would get in trouble. He also has 3 ak mags with it. I haven't tried those yet. I'm not sure of the year of this rifle I know my father got it back in the 70's while he was in the military.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3317 Times on 2249 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Sks mag rules il

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jew1028 View Post
I have the 5,10, and 20 round fixed mags I have the 5 round one on now I didn't want to put the 10 or 20 on if I would get in trouble. He also has 3 ak mags with it. I haven't tried those yet. I'm not sure of the year of this rifle I know my father got it back in the 70's while he was in the military.

Any particular reason for the Screen name ??? Some folks who managed to avoid the ovens have numbers tattooed on their arm. You may want to request a name change...

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...