Quinn signs bill requiring schools to hold shooting safety drills - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Quinn signs bill requiring schools to hold shooting safety drills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
CGS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Yea, right. Have you ever been to school?.... I remember teachers that were too unstable to handle guns, and others that wouldn't touch a gun on a dare. I never had a lot of teachers that were like Bruce Willis. Maybe we should have gun racks in the classroom and on alarm all the kids could draw their weapons, hide behind the desks and wait to ambush the bad guy Bonnie and Clyde style.
Yeah I have been to school and I had teachers talk about hunting and camping and target shooting, and even some who told me they used to bring their gun to school and hunt on their walk home. Not all teachers are too inept to handle a gun, and yes some teachers are. Nobody should be forced to handle a gun if they don't want to. But those who choose to, should be given that right to defend themselves and the children in their care.

But for God's sake, how about some locks on those doors!

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

towboater Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I agree with locks on the doors but that would open a whole other can of worms with teachers diddling their students or opening themselves to accusations of said diddling.

They should do drills, but in the end what good they do? You hide in a corner and become one big group of targets.

At least give teachers the option of being armed. I know a lot of them wouldn't take advantage of the ability to carry, but it only takes one to save a lot of people.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
CGS

I know what you are saying about locks on the doors, not to mention fire issues.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #14

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Yea, right. Have you ever been to school?.... I remember teachers that were too unstable to handle guns, and others that wouldn't touch a gun on a dare. I never had a lot of teachers that were like Bruce Willis. Maybe we should have gun racks in the classroom and on alarm all the kids could draw their weapons, hide behind the desks and wait to ambush the bad guy Bonnie and Clyde style.
You mean to tell me you're against allowing teachers, facility and students (in the instances where students are old enough) being able to concealed carry in schools? That's the absolute stupidest thing I've ever heard!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
You mean to tell me you're against allowing teachers, facility and students (in the instances where students are old enough) being able to concealed carry in schools? That's the absolute stupidest thing I've ever heard!
I was thinking the same, but trying to be nice about it

-Thomas

Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy
I agree with locks on the doors but that would open a whole other can of worms with teachers diddling their students or opening themselves to accusations of said diddling.

They should do drills, but in the end what good they do? You hide in a corner and become one big group of targets.

At least give teachers the option of being armed. I know a lot of them wouldn't take advantage of the ability to carry, but it only takes one to save a lot of people.
My boss at work gave us a tour through their new church. They had a pretty great idea for these types of scenarios (factoring out the gun of course...the best scenario however, would be having armed teachers, faculty, and students). They had 15-20 "class rooms" set up downstairs and each room had 1-way bullet proof glass in the wall, and the doors all had electronic locks on them that could all be activated from a single classroom and various locations around the building. If the "intruder alarm" was set off, all the door are electronically locked, and since the BG can't see inside, he doesn't know if the room is worth trying to break into. But in case the fire alarm or something were to go off, all doors can be opened from inside the room. And as for "diddling", the only way the classrooms can be locked is by the "intruder alarm". Their logic was, that's the only scenario they could imagine the doors needed to be locked.

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 07-09-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS

I was thinking the same, but trying to be nice about it
Shoot, I'm a college student who has a CWP and still has to sit in a classroom each and every day and wonder, if a shooting broke out, what in earth could I do other than A)run, or B) cower down and take it. Screw being nice, I want my safety and security, and most of all, my rights back!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

Better yet, I'd like to hear a good explanation as to why I have gone through all the unconstitutional steps that South Carolina requires me to go through to prove to them that I am competent, sane, and responsible enough to take advantage of a right that should have been afforded to me in the first place, yet when I cross the imaginary boundary of a public school campus, all of that competency, sanity, and responsibility no longer counts for anything? If you can explain that to me, then I'll be glad to listen to anything else you have to say.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #19

I would also like for anyone to explain to me why a good friend of my family's went to prison many many years ago for 6 months simply because he made a few bad decisions, yet since then is an active member in church and just an all around awesome friend, yet because he is a "felon", he cannot legally purchase a firearm for his own self defense. You could put a gun in his hand, aim it at someone's head and offer him countless dollars to pull the trigger and he wouldn't do it. But at the same time, someone in his same position who perhaps intends to do harm to others is going to have no problem finding a gun off the streets.

It is this type of "common sense" gun control that we fall hook-line-and-sinker for, allowing our government to slowly chip away at our rights and the next thing you know we're having to fight for the rights of even law abiding citizens being able to purchase and carry guns. The 2nd amendment is as liberal and conservative as it needs to be. States should not have the right to go diddling into its wording to change it to their liking. As a matter of fact, they DO NOT have the right to do that, yet somehow they are getting away with it. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I see nothing in there that mentions permits, schools, felons, or anything else. I do, however, see that it is the ONLY amendment in the entire Constitution that happened to include the words "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 07-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.