Quinn signs bill requiring schools to hold shooting safety drills
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Quinn signs bill requiring schools to hold shooting safety drills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Quinn signs bill requiring schools to hold shooting safety drills

In follow up to "The Idiot Speaks" post from yesterday (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/idiot-speaks-93175/):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-quinn-signs-bill-requiring-schools-to-hold-shooting-safety-drills-20130701,0,7327689.story

Two key highlights:

- Colleges and universities would not be required to conduct the drills. Nice. Need to find the genius' that decided that wasn't important considering the NIU shooting. But I guess those students are no longer considered children, so fall outside the Democrats party line of "save the children."

- Quinn said his action on a measure that would allow citizens to carry guns in public is "imminent." Several lawmakers and public officials have said they expect the governor to rewrite the concealed carry bill to make it tougher in an effort to appeal to voters as he prepares to launch a re-election bid. Quinn is a strong supporter of stricter gun control laws.

But you knew the CCW bill wasn't going to pass anyways. We'll see what Her Majesty Ms. Madigan has up her sleeve. I think everyone's supposed to be back in Springfield on July 8th for a special session. <sigh>

More info:
http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=2&RecNum=11317

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm pretty sure I read last week a few politicians stating the CC is scheduled for over-ride vote on the 9th, tomorrow. Although it can be called any time they are in session.

I'm all for school shooting drills. I just know I wouldn't agree with the processes of said drills. Step #1 lock classroom door and barricade. Step #2 teacher huddles children into the safest corner and draws own weapon and takes aim on fatal funnel (door).

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
I'm pretty sure I read last week a few politicians stating the CC is scheduled for over-ride vote on the 9th, tomorrow. Although it can be called any time they are in session.

I'm all for school shooting drills. I just know I wouldn't agree with the processes of said drills. Step #1 lock classroom door and barricade. Step #2 teacher huddles children into the safest corner and draws own weapon and takes aim on fatal funnel (door).
My wife is a school teacher , Nobody ever expects this to happen in their own home town but things happen and they should be prepared . Its no different than a tornado or fire drill , it should be done .
There are places out there that teach this stuff , They teach the teachers , teachers assistants and janitors how to prepare , put the kids in the safest spot and if the assailant does breach the entry way how to distract and manipulate to stop the threat even if armed . If I remember right they do those classes right here in IL , near Lincoln if my mind serves me right .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

Liked 1564 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post

Yea, right. Have you ever been to school?.... I remember teachers that were too unstable to handle guns, and others that wouldn't touch a gun on a dare. I never had a lot of teachers that were like Bruce Willis. Maybe we should have gun racks in the classroom and on alarm all the kids could draw their weapons, hide behind the desks and wait to ambush the bad guy Bonnie and Clyde style.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I think it's great if it's a practical guide. Anything to avoid or reduce the loss of life, and buy LEOs additional response time to enter and clear the building.
If it's one of those that teach - defend yourself from the gunman with scissors - well, that's just great. I just found it odd that he exempted State funded colleges.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Maybe we should have gun racks in the classroom and on alarm all the kids could draw their weapons, hide behind the desks and wait to ambush the bad guy Bonnie and Clyde style.

Dont be silly. THey can draw their own CC weapons.

I had great teachers in school. Most of em likes shooting guns. Its nice to be in a small country town.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Yea, right. Have you ever been to school?.... I remember teachers that were too unstable to handle guns, and others that wouldn't touch a gun on a dare.

Maybe thats why you truned out the way ya did. Ya had liberal teachers.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 716 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
[B]
…...I had great teachers in school. Most of em likes shooting guns. Its nice to be in a small country town.

For sure! I remember my Ag. teacher organizing dove hunts after school for seniors. They would bring their shotguns to school on the school bus, along with a coat pocket full of shells. After school they would walk out to the corn field behind the football field for the shoot. Afterwards he would haul them home in his ’49 Chevy sedan in time for them to help with the feeding and milking.

But that was a different time in a different world. Long, long ago!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36

For sure! I remember my Ag. teacher organizing dove hunts after school for seniors. They would bring their shotguns to school on the school bus, along with a coat pocket full of shells. After school they would walk out to the corn field behind the football field for the shoot. Afterwards he would haul them home in his ’49 Chevy sedan in time for them to help with the feeding and milking.

But that was a different time in a different world. Long, long ago!
Wow I can't imagine bringing a shotgun and shells to my school I gaurantee you'd be locked up

Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Quinn signs bill requiring schools to hold shooting safety drills
Is that drill akin to what I remember in grade school during the sputnik-commie era that prompted kids to hide under their desks?
desks.jpg