Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > NFA Weapons in IL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NFA Weapons in IL?

I am considering acquiring a Serbu Super Shorty. I am new to IL, and am unsure as to the current state of IL laws as they apply to AOW firearms.

Can anyone let me know how much difficulty I may encounter if I seek a CLEO signature on the paperwork? The Champaign County Sheriff, right?

And the gist of the NFA is that the weapons are tracked and registered constantly, akin to cars?

THx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

No NFA weapons in Illinois to my knowledge. I'm not sure if you can get an FFL and have them with the proper liscence.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
No NFA weapons in Illinois to my knowledge. I'm not sure if you can get an FFL and have them with the proper liscence.
Yes , some NFA weapons can be had in IL. There are however hoops to jump through for specific ones like SBRs . SBSs are a no no here . I think the easiest way to make this happen is to buy a pistol grip shotgun , apply for a AOW , pay the $200 wait the 9 months and then have that ol girl hacked off and put a pistol grip on the front . A AOW is legal in IL but a SBS is not , figure that one out.
I would need to check a few other things like of there is a minimum length , etc but the easiest way to find out is call the BATFE and start asking questions . They are very helpful with that kind of stuff and I think the serbu SS is considered a AOW anyway

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-15-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

SBR's are now allowed, but no trusts. Get a C&R and file the paper work. There is more to it than that but woo hoo SBR's!

I know a couple guys who just got approved.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
SBR's are now allowed, but no trusts. Get a C&R and file the paper work. There is more to it than that but woo hoo SBR's!

I know a couple guys who just got approved.
They passed it Aug of 2011 , I applied in sept of 11 . First 2 took 6 months almost to the day , they are backed up 9 mo. for IL right now . Now we need to get suppressors passed

Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

You cannot make an AOW by cutting down a shotgun. That will be an SBS with a $200 tax stamp.

The Sebu Shorty was never a (stocked) shotgun. It was made from scratch as a smoothbore pistol- an AOW- which has a $5 Federal tax stamp. It began life as a virgin receiver.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You cannot make an AOW by cutting down a shotgun. That will be an SBS with a $200 tax stamp.

The Sebu Shorty was never a (stocked) shotgun. It was made from scratch as a smoothbore pistol- an AOW- which has a $5 Federal tax stamp. It began life as a virgin receiver.
Good to know , hows that fall with a factory built pistol grip shotgun ? Still can turn the barrel down ? I kmow SBSs arent legal in this sheister state so I have never really looked into it . AOW is a whole diffrrent deal here and allowed .
Hmmmm thats pretty interesting after doing some reading , . I cant belive its a $5 stamp . Pretty crazy stuff that you can have a AOW here but no SBS . Makes no sense to me but there isnt much that does in IL

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-19-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
They passed it Aug of 2011 , I applied in sept of 11 . First 2 took 6 months almost to the day , they are backed up 9 mo. for IL right now . Now we need to get suppressors passed
I'll put suppressors on my precision rifles and home defense firearms for sure.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com