Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   NFA Weapons in IL? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/nfa-weapons-il-101618/)

PhonicsMonkey 12-15-2013 10:59 PM

NFA Weapons in IL?

I am considering acquiring a Serbu Super Shorty. I am new to IL, and am unsure as to the current state of IL laws as they apply to AOW firearms.

Can anyone let me know how much difficulty I may encounter if I seek a CLEO signature on the paperwork? The Champaign County Sheriff, right?

And the gist of the NFA is that the weapons are tracked and registered constantly, akin to cars?

THx

aandabooks 12-15-2013 11:12 PM

No NFA weapons in Illinois to my knowledge. I'm not sure if you can get an FFL and have them with the proper liscence.

purehavoc 12-15-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1459758)
No NFA weapons in Illinois to my knowledge. I'm not sure if you can get an FFL and have them with the proper liscence.

Yes , some NFA weapons can be had in IL. There are however hoops to jump through for specific ones like SBRs . SBSs are a no no here . I think the easiest way to make this happen is to buy a pistol grip shotgun , apply for a AOW , pay the $200 wait the 9 months and then have that ol girl hacked off and put a pistol grip on the front . A AOW is legal in IL but a SBS is not , figure that one out.
I would need to check a few other things like of there is a minimum length , etc but the easiest way to find out is call the BATFE and start asking questions . They are very helpful with that kind of stuff and I think the serbu SS is considered a AOW anyway

CGS 12-19-2013 12:48 AM

SBR's are now allowed, but no trusts. Get a C&R and file the paper work. There is more to it than that but woo hoo SBR's!

I know a couple guys who just got approved.

purehavoc 12-19-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGS (Post 1462119)
SBR's are now allowed, but no trusts. Get a C&R and file the paper work. There is more to it than that but woo hoo SBR's!

I know a couple guys who just got approved.

They passed it Aug of 2011 , I applied in sept of 11 . First 2 took 6 months almost to the day , they are backed up 9 mo. for IL right now . Now we need to get suppressors passed

c3shooter 12-19-2013 02:30 AM

You cannot make an AOW by cutting down a shotgun. That will be an SBS with a $200 tax stamp.

The Sebu Shorty was never a (stocked) shotgun. It was made from scratch as a smoothbore pistol- an AOW- which has a $5 Federal tax stamp. It began life as a virgin receiver.

purehavoc 12-19-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1462219)
You cannot make an AOW by cutting down a shotgun. That will be an SBS with a $200 tax stamp.

The Sebu Shorty was never a (stocked) shotgun. It was made from scratch as a smoothbore pistol- an AOW- which has a $5 Federal tax stamp. It began life as a virgin receiver.

Good to know , hows that fall with a factory built pistol grip shotgun ? Still can turn the barrel down ? I kmow SBSs arent legal in this sheister state so I have never really looked into it . AOW is a whole diffrrent deal here and allowed .
Hmmmm thats pretty interesting after doing some reading , . I cant belive its a $5 stamp . Pretty crazy stuff that you can have a AOW here but no SBS . Makes no sense to me but there isnt much that does in IL

CGS 12-19-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1462135)
They passed it Aug of 2011 , I applied in sept of 11 . First 2 took 6 months almost to the day , they are backed up 9 mo. for IL right now . Now we need to get suppressors passed

I'll put suppressors on my precision rifles and home defense firearms for sure.