New to IL, looking for a range
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > New to IL, looking for a range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to IL, looking for a range

Hello.

Just moved to St. Joe, IL. Wife now works at the Danville VA in the PTSD clinic.

Looking to get to a range soon.

I cannot get in contact with anyone from the St. Joseph Sportsmans' Club, which is all of 10min away. Anyone help here?

Any good ranges near Champaign?

Thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you looking for pistol, rifle, or shotgun ranges? As far as the Champaign area, there are currently NO indoor pistol ranges within about a 70-90 minute drive. My son and his wife have been searching for a pistol range near the Champaign area for years and can't find anything. The Sportsman's club near St. Joseph is their closest. However, I did find this 'blurb' about an upcoming indoor range in Urbana...but can't find any other info on it. http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2013-09-08/tom-kacich-good-timing-new-business.html

Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Chicago.Lots of shooting going on there.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

www.wheretoshoot.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
Chicago.Lots of shooting going on there.
LOL Danville and St Joe really aren't anywhere "near" Chicago.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 849 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 505

illinois l-winged administration will probably take the ranges away from the citizens, just give that another year or so and whatever elae they can figure out.

no Offense here But why do some gun lovers Move to that State? ummmm

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
illinois l-winged administration will probably take the ranges away from the citizens, just give that another year or so and whatever elae they can figure out.

no Offense here But why do some gun lovers Move to that State? ummmm
FWIW in the last 2 or 3 years we have gotten 2 or 3 new ranges in the greater Chicago area. I know of 2 or 3 ranges that are being planned and going through the process and I expect will be operational within the next 5 years. I also know of a few new ranges in the Central IL area. We have made ALOT of progress in IL in the last 18 months, alot!

As for moving here, good question. Those I have spoken with who have moved here is always 2 reasons. The wife has family here or their high paying job transferred them here.

I was born and raised here. I would move tomorrow on a few conditions, 1) my wife would come with me which she will not because she is addicted to her family. 2) I weren't underwater on my home residence and investment properties. It doesn't make sense to move somewhere and show up with absolutely nothing. At least here I have a house, that is worth less than what I owe, but at least it's a roof over my head.

Realistically I am stuck here for quite some time, at least a decade. I have told my wife I am moving with or without her when the kids finish high school, we are in a very good school district. 13 more years and counting.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com

Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #7

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
I was born and raised here. I would move tomorrow on a few conditions.
I lived in a suburb north of Chicago for over 50 years. As I got closer to retirement and started wondering how I could afford it, I moved to southern Missouri. In Illinois, I had a 3 bedroom home with a family room on two lots. My Gas and electric bills together were about $350 a month. My propety taxes were close to $4000 a year.

Here in Missouri, now live on 5 acres, in a fairly new 2800 sq. ft. home. I have an electric house, and my monthly bill averages about $110. My property taxes are $1100.

Every year I save about $5700 just on those items I mentioned.

Now, do you really need any other reason to move out of Illinois?

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6328 Times on 3352 Posts
Likes Given: 463

How far are you from the wisconsin border??

I meet a LOT of illinoise peeps at my fav range fleeing here to do some shooting away from the nazis.

Last range trip I had my suppressed scar17h out there and ran into some poor schmucks from chitcago who about peed themselves after cranking off some supptessed 308 through it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I lived in a suburb north of Chicago for over 50 years. As I got closer to retirement and started wondering how I could afford it, I moved to southern Missouri. In Illinois, I had a 3 bedroom home with a family room on two lots. My Gas and electric bills together were about $350 a month. My propety taxes were close to $4000 a year.

Here in Missouri, now live on 5 acres, in a fairly new 2800 sq. ft. home. I have an electric house, and my monthly bill averages about $110. My property taxes are $1100.

Every year I save about $5700 just on those items I mentioned.

Now, do you really need any other reason to move out of Illinois?
Missouri is definitely on my short list. I am really open to anything. All I want is a good size acreage where I can shoot on my own land, maybe 10 or 20 acres, and good access to potable water (which eliminates 99% of deserts unless it has aquafir rights.) Since my wife is all about family she has a cousin in NC and an uncle in FL.

-Thomas

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
How far are you from the wisconsin border??

I meet a LOT of illinoise peeps at my fav range fleeing here to do some shooting away from the nazis.

Last range trip I had my suppressed scar17h out there and ran into some poor schmucks from chitcago who about peed themselves after cranking off some supptessed 308 through it.
Which range are we talking about?

-Thomas