New ban on coffee mugs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > New ban on coffee mugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default New ban on coffee mugs

Our Chief Law Enforcer, Princess Lisa - first she tries to keep law abiding citizens from concealed carry, now she's keeping law abiding citizens from evil coffee mugs. Let's see if Chicago follows up with a coffee ban now. Caffeine is a deadly drug you know. People might abuse coffee in a prescription cup.

http://www.illinoispolicy.org/blog/blog.asp?ArticleSource=6075

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has succeeded in taking down a serious threat to the fight against drug abuse – coffee mugs that look like prescription drug bottles.

Madigan, along with attorneys general from more than 20 other states, sent a joint letter on May 22 to Urban Outfitters CEO and Chairman Richard A. Hayne regarding the “controversial” product line his company was selling. The concerned party wrote:

On behalf of the undersigned Attorneys General, we request that Urban Outfitters immediately cease sales of your “Prescription Line” of glasses, coasters, mugs, drink holders and related products that mimic prescription pill bottles and prescription pads.

Why?

Because, as the attorneys general said:
There is a national health crisis related to the abuse and diversion of prescription drugs. As Attorneys General, we have prosecuted and engaged in outreach to stop this epidemic. We are actively engaged in a campaign of environmental change to educate the public that abuse of prescription drugs is not safe simply because the medication originated from a doctor. … By putting these highly recognizable labels on your products you are undermining our efforts.

The products in question include coffee mugs and shot glasses, meant to be humorous and satirical.

Ultimately, Urban Outfitters discontinued the prescription line products last month.

After receiving letters from several groups, including the attorneys general, Hayne released a statement that said:
In the 20,000 products that comprise our assortment, there are styles that represent humor, satire, and hyperbole. In this extensive range of product we recognize that from time to time there may be individual items that are misinterpreted by people who are not our customer. As a result of this misinterpretation we are electing to discontinue these few styles from our current product offering.

Drug abuse is a serious issue – but coffee mugs play no role in perpetuating a cycle of dependence.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

shadecorp Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Liked 307 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Because, as the attorneys general said:[INDENT] We are actively engaged in a campaign of environmental change to educate the public that abuse of prescription drugs is not safe simply because the medication originated from a doctor. … By putting these highly recognizable labels on your products you are undermining our efforts.

When did it become an AG's job to engage in mind control? Oh where would all of us poor witless slobs be without a Nanny and a teet to draw on?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Liked 307 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Just because I can, I just ordered one mug for my daughter and one for my wife from another site.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7771 Times on 4215 Posts
Likes Given: 16433

If this goes viral they won't be able to keep up with demand.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

KJG67 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is just ridiculous. Since we can't do anything about the actual problem we'll just throw some feel good legislation at it. The way of the politician who is clueless.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

KJG67 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

Liked 1209 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Drug abuse is a serious issue – but coffee mugs play no role in perpetuating a cycle of dependence.
I guess free speech only applies to approved subjects as well.

All she did was increase the sales of these products.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

KJG67 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 635 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 2653

Thank you for taking on such a serious matter.
Too many people are
enjoying coffee.
I am Not going to buy one of these .
Maybe buy two.
KJG67 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I thought this was a joke when I first read it. Then realized this was completely serious, so had to post the story.

All hail Princess Lisa, savior of our kingdom.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Liberals are very selective about executions. They will kill the evil profit makers and take their wealth. However government mandated drug use though illegal is acceptable.
Colorado is in clear violation of the Federal laws regarding controlled substance. Obama went to Colorado to condemn the clear Constitutional rights of the 2nd amendment. The Ant-Gun Left is supported by the drug cartels and their addicted clients. The Left is only concerned about votes.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Our Chief Law Enforcer, Princess Lisa ...
Is there something in the water up there?