My next gun, club, etc
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > My next gun, club, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My next gun, club, etc

Hey, gang. I'm in the Peoria/elmwood area and I'm not sure what clubs or galleries I could join outside of American firearms. I'm also torn on my next firearm; I'd like a nice, solid tactical rifle. I've become quite fond of Sig Sauer and New England Firearms.
My small collection consists of as follows:
-Sig Sauer P250 9mm
-Sig Sauer P250 .45ACP
-2 New England Firearms Pardner Pump 12 gauge shotguns

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it; I'm also looking into Conceal Carry Classes. American Furearms wants $275. I feel like they raised it? Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

There are plenty of other places that are having classes for a lesser amount and its slowing down for Instructors and prices are falling . I hosted a class of 52 people in Nov. Prices for the full 16 hrs was $225 then

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FWIW here in Chicago, I charge $295 for 16 hours which includes EVERYTHING. Breakfast, Lunch, Soft Drinks, range fees, ammo, targets and free firearm rental. My classes are generally between 15 and 25 people and I truly believe that when you look at everything being offered it's impossible to find a better value in my area.

Tactical rifle, we can talk for days upon end on that. What will the use of the rifle be? Tacticool range plinking? Home defense? SHTF? I don't know much about new england firearms, but Sig is a solid brand with good quality control and support. There are other companies as well which are on par with Sig.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

tinkersdam Likes This 
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'm a member of Chillicothe Sportsmens Club. They have quite a bit of organized shoots. USPSA, bowling pin, steel challenge, mauser matches, small bore. The have up to a 300 yard range, 100 yard rifle and pistol pits.

chillisportsmen.org

Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Classes up here in N. E. Lake County, IL are all in the $300-$350 range for the 16 hr classes and only include range fees. You provide your own food, drinks, a pistol, holster, and 100+ rounds of ammo. Lowest I've seen for the IL CCW class is at Gander Mountain in Kenosha, WI...priced at $260 incl. range fees.

Last edited by tinkersdam; 01-06-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkersdam View Post
Classes up here in N. E. Lake County, IL are all in the $300-$350 range for the 16 hr classes and only include range fees. You provide your own food, drinks, a pistol, holster, and 100+ rounds of ammo. Lowest I've seen for the IL CCW class is at Gander Mountain in Kenosha, WI...priced at $260 incl. range fees.
I do classes in Gurnee, just did a session December 21st and 22nd. I should be back in Gurnee early March.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com

Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #7

What I would do with my potential tac rifle is use it for shooting, of course. I'd use it for home defense, target shooting, add experience, etc. I live here in Elmwood and sometimes I can shoot in my back yard. I'd like to join any of the local gun clubs and get my conceal carry without driving for hours. I feel that AF is charging way more than what would be reasonable being that said fees will not include ammo and range time. I would like to get my cc before I turn 30, which is on the 18th of this month. Going back to the tactical rifle I'm leaning towards a Sig P556 swat pistol w/SB15 Pistol Stabilizing Brace. Maybe.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
CGS

The reason why I asked the use is because it would depend on the build. A rifle designed for home defense could be used for medium ranges, but optimally the two are not the same as a bench rest "tactical" rifle for example.

I am personally not a fan of the SB for ONE reason, I will be tempted to use it as a stock. I think most people who buy the SB buy it for the intention of using it as a stock and circumvent the SBR rules. I was thinking of a RRA PDS pistol for a truck console gun. Similiar to the Sig swat pistol in design. I am not sure which one is better because I haven't been able to tear down the two. Then I would go Euro with a tension/pistol sling. You can use a tension sling like a stock, pushing out rather than pulling in. Just my $0.02. I don't think the sig 556 swat pistol would be a bad choice overall.

I have seen some instructors charging $400 including nothing. Now that's high.

-Thomas