Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Moving to Illinois from Tennessee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Moving to Illinois from Tennessee

My wife and I will be moving to O'Fallon this summer. We are in our 70’s and want to live near our family.

I have read up on the FOID card, but where I am confused is what is allowed in Illinois as far as firearms. I will be thinning out the herd before the move.

What I am concerned about are my 10/22’s with the folding stocks and the 25 round magazines. As far as pistols, a 22/45 Ruger and a .380 pistol. I know my present carry permit will be void. I have some air guns, a couple of air pistols both .177. In the air rifles I have a .177 and a .22.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ray

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

Liked 104 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's some info for you. As one who spent 10 years in Tennessee and now lives in Ohio. Don't do it!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1013 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I will pray for you. The support of your loved ones will ease the pain. But you are in for some serious culture shock.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I will pray for you. The support of your loved ones will ease the pain. But you are in for some serious culture shock.
Stay well south of I-80 and culture will not be the problem, but the gun laws created by the Northern IL dominated legislature are a PITA.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1443 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Your current permit will allow you to carry in your vehicle. But you will need to spend a bit of money to get the Illinois permit. As I recall, there are 16 hours of training and a shooting qualification required. License can be purchased after that for 5 or 10 year period. Renewal requires a few hours refresher training and requalification.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The guns you listed won't be a problem. Why not slide a little west and move to Missouri and visit in IL?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
The guns you listed won't be a problem. Why not slide a little west and move to Missouri and visit in IL?
I couldn't agree more. Tennessee is ranked as one of the most free states in the union, and Illinois ranks at the very bottom. Illinois taxes are horrible compared to much of the rest of the country, and they are certain to get worse considering their enormous debt.

Do yourself a big favor and move to Missouri.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #8

Although I understand the advice to move to MO. We will be moving to IL. I appreciate the info concerning my guns. Since we will be living with my daughter and son in law, I am adjusting my interests.

I will be doing air and Rimfire. As long as I can shoot something I will be happy. I was afraid that the guns would have to be registered when moving to IL. Better be careful, I might give them an idea.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 55

We have everything in Il up to NFA items. There are some around but I believe they are grandfathered in. I have never had the budget to seriously persue those types of toys. If you can find them you can have 100 round mags for ARs and your 10/22. We don't have mag limits.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have something like 60-120 day grace period from the time you move into Illinois until you need your foid card. I believe the law reds you have 30-60 days to get your new drivers license, and you have another 30-60 days from the time you get your DL to get your FOID.

With your out of state license you may carry in your vehicle I THINK. I only say I THINK because if you are moving to IL, you are no longer a resident of TN, so then is your TN carry license valid anymore? I don't know. I would suggest against carrying the moment you get your Illinois driver's license or sooner, until you get your IL carry conceal license.

As for the guns you listed they should not be a problem. The bans are typically done on a municipal level and not on the state level. the only state ban I am aware of is the melting point ban for cheap zinc firearms.

I would encourage your daughter to move to you rather than you moving to her. It sucks here in Chiraq, Madiganistan (Chicago, Illinois). You'll learn those references real quick!

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com