Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   Illinois to require Private Firearm Transaction Approvals as of Jan 1st (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/illinois-require-private-firearm-transaction-approvals-jan-1st-102156/)

CGS 12-30-2013 07:06 PM

Illinois to require Private Firearm Transaction Approvals as of Jan 1st
 
Don't forget guys as of January 1st 2014 if you sell a firearm in Illinois you are required to check that the Firearm Owner Identification card is still valid.

This is from their press release today:
Effective Jan. 1, all private firearm transactions in Illinois must be approved by the Illinois State Police. Any non-federally licensed firearm dealer who desires to transfer or sell a firearm will be required to contact the Illinois State Police and provide the purchaserís Firearm Owners Identification Card number. The Illinois State Police will determine the validity of the FOID Card and Issue an approval number which will be valid for 30 days from the date of issue. The seller is permitted to transfer the firearm to the purchaser after obtaining the approval number and waiting 24 hours for a rifle/shotgun or 72 hours for a pistol.

A private firearm transaction approval number can be requested 24/7 from the Illinois State Police preferably through the ISP website at http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidp2p.cfm, or by calling 217 524-3847 during normal business hours.

Eagle1803 12-30-2013 07:34 PM

Here we go again, Illinois messing with the citizens...

CGS 12-30-2013 08:12 PM

We've known this was coming for quite some time since it was passed months ago... but yep always messing with us.

chloeshooter 12-30-2013 08:28 PM

so much for armslist.com in the Land of Lincoln

scottmac 12-30-2013 08:37 PM

My recollection is that you don't have to make the check, but if you do, you are no longer liable (criminal or civil) if it is later used in a crime.
If you don't do the check, you become part of the investigative chain.

Gatoragn 12-30-2013 09:17 PM

I-39, 70, and many other major highways will get y'all out of IL. Heck, I'll sell my I pass to you, if you want to move to IN or WI, I don't need it anymore. ;)

wittmeba 12-30-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmac (Post 1470506)
My recollection is that you don't have to make the check, but if you do, you are no longer liable (criminal or civil) if it is later used in a crime.
If you don't do the check, you become part of the investigative chain.

Sounds like they will find someone to blame even if it isn't the right person.

CGS 12-30-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1470501)
so much for armslist.com in the Land of Lincoln

What's wrong with arms list? All this requires is one additional state in the process. Currently if I buy or sell a firearm in Illinois I have to check to see that the other party has a valid FOID card. All this requires is that I keep a record of it by contacting the ISP to make sure the FOID card is not revoked or suspended.

CGS 12-30-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmac (Post 1470506)
My recollection is that you don't have to make the check, but if you do, you are no longer liable (criminal or civil) if it is later used in a crime.
If you don't do the check, you become part of the investigative chain.

yeah my lay man interpretation of the law is while it is a requirement, there is no penalty for not doing so. Having said that there could be civil penalties if you sell a firearm to someone with a suspended or revoked foid. I for one will comply with the law for my own protection.

gatoragn, I'd be right there with you if my wife would let me move. If I weren't backwards on my house and investment property, etc... I'm stuck here. :(

Shade 01-02-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGS (Post 1470623)
yeah my lay man interpretation of the law is while it is a requirement, there is no penalty for not doing so. Having said that there could be civil penalties if you sell a firearm to someone with a suspended or revoked foid. I for one will comply with the law for my own protection.

I agree, now I have to update my CCL slides again... damn...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGS (Post 1470623)
gatoragn, I'd be right there with you if my wife would let me move. If I weren't backwards on my house and investment property, etc... I'm stuck here. :(

The youngest graduates HS in 2020 shortly there after; I will be on I-80, 90
or 94 heading west shortly there after. SWMBO is on board, I purchased my
house in '95 so I am good on the sale side of things hell I might have it paid
off by then!


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.