If I have anxiety disorder can I still buy a gun? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum >

If I have anxiety disorder can I still buy a gun?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4664 Times on 3142 Posts
Likes Given: 2353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Just read your link. The whole thing sounds like a scam to me.

IMO, the only ones with real "anxiety disorder" in our countries are those of us who harder and harder to pay more and more in taxes to give it all to people who either don't deserve it or think they have some duty to run our lives. Makes me pretty anxious, anyway.
Anxiety, like autism, is increasingly used as an umbrella term to cover things more serious that have unpleasant names.
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #12

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The question on the 4473 asks have you ever been adjudicated. It doesn't ask if you were anxious because you went through a nerve racking process (SS disability application...over 70% of applications denied the first time.). No where does the 4473 ask if you are anxious because you are living on a fixed income. The form 4473 asks has a judge ever found you to be mentally incompetent.

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-14-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #13

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Am I going to be the only one here to comment on the obvious? If someone has "Anxiety Disorder" to the point of not being able to work, needing meds, and needs to go on SS Disability, (that IS what we're talking here? I'm guessing, OP didn't specify), they seriously have NO business thinking about buying a gun. For so many reasons. Now, if they are not that bad off, can work, and want a gun, well, that just goes to a different spot. They have NO business going on SS Disability. That's being lazy, and going on the Dole. (Don't ask my specific opinion on that issue.)

Now, if there is an in-between, like a SS program that will simply help them afford medication, well, I don't know.

That's my opinion, and I do not apologize for it.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 03-14-2014 at 12:54 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Am I going to be the only one here to comment on the obvious? If someone has "Anxiety Disorder" to the point of not being able to work, needing meds, and needs to go on SS Disability, (that IS what we're talking here? I'm guessing, OP didn't specify), they seriously have NO business thinking about buying a gun. For so many reasons. Now, if they are not that bad off, can work, and want a gun, well, that just goes to a different spot. They have NO business going on SS Disability. That's being lazy, and going on the Dole. (Don't ask my specific opinion on that issue.)

Now, if there is an in-between, like a SS program that will simply help them afford medication, well, I don't know.

That's my opinion, and I do not apologize for it.
I dont want to risk being rejected when I go to buy a gun. I think i have severe social anxiety, its very hard for me to interact with people, i have no freinds. I think i could qualified. Im perfectly capable of owning and using a gun, its not like im crazy or something. All I am is very shy and nervous around people, thats all.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The question on the 4473 asks have you ever been adjudicated. It doesn't ask if you were anxious because you went through a nerve racking process (SS disability application...over 70% of applications denied the first time.). No where does the 4473 ask if you are anxious because you are living on a fixed income. The form 4473 asks has a judge ever found you to be mentally incompetent.
Damit it says something about a judge.

"Applications for Social Security Disability (SSD) and SSI disability are evaluated on the basis of both physical impairments and mental impairments. Because disability claims examiners (who work on disability applications and disability reconsideration appeals) and disability judges (who render decisions at the hearing level) base their decision to approve or deny a claim on how disability applicants' conditions limit them, it is in an applicant's best interests to point out everything that is wrong with them. Disability claims examiners and judges are required to consider all impairments listed on the disability application, and they are more likely to make decisions that are favorable to applicants when they have access to more information regarding applicants' conditions and their history of treatment for these conditions."

Lets suppose its true, that a judge has to approve me, Ill be labeled as mentally impaired or something with the word "mental". This may prohibit me from buying a gun or maybe even owning one for the rest of my life! I need and want a gun,

I'm thinking if I should first buy a gun and then apply. Im, sure if i do this ill have no problem in buying the gun.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I basically have most of the stuff on here http://www.helpguide.org/mental/social_anxiety_support_symptom_causes_treatment.ht m

Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Define mentally incompetent..................

LoL............All the peoples with the intent to kill with all the means at thier disposal..... Be it car, knives, machetes, poison, GUNS COME TO MIND, forget the rest...........LOL.............Why is it guns bring more attention................HOW MANY PEOPLE DIE ON THE HIGHWAYS EVERY DAY............................................... .......In China, gun restiction, a bunch of nut cases hating the Gov. Go on a killing spree in a train station. The first words I heard was, JUST THINK IF THEY HAD GUNS INSTEAD OF KNIVES. And that was from the American peoples.................If the poor chinaman was carrying an AK 47 he would have killed the perps.........................Damned if you do and Damned if you don't...........................

Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Here's what I always suggest: NEVER try to beat the system. If you know, or are pretty sure, you're about to go on anxiety meds and get ssd, then WAIT until you do that. THEN try to purchase a gun legally. Fill out the form honestly, and if you get denied, sorry. But if you get "proceed", then you did everything the right way.

Last thing anyone needs to do is screw themselves legally by trying to work around the system or being dishonest. It causes a bunch of hardship. I would know, a friend and I are doing a lot of "come to jesus" type of talking with some very nice gentlemen *gag* whilst trying to keeb my buns out of the fire right now. And all I did was trade a menial service for some wild game meat.
I cant risk getting denied. First i buy a gun, it may ask me if i am mentally incompetent or something along those lines, i will say no, nothing illegal there. Then i go apply for ssd, lets say it asks me that i cant own a gun or something, then im pretty screwed, do i lie so i get ssd or do i say the truth and get denied, ahhhhh. I think i will have to risk getting denied ssd, i would rather have a gun and not have ssd then have ssd and not have a gun.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #19

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
I need and want a gun,
You NEED one, huh? Why?

Quote:
its very hard for me to interact with people, i have no freinds. I think i could qualified.
This could have described me when I was in HS, and my early 20's. I got over it, and fail to see why it would involve SS Disability. Do you have a job? If you get SSD, do you plan to have a job?

Maybe you should take a look at Form 4473 on line. It's a standardized form that doesn't change. The wording is confusing, but specific. Read the questions several times, it will become clear. It's a yes or no answer, nothing more.

BTW, if you have anxiety issues, how do you plan on going shooting? At the range will be people, lots of noise, rules to follow, etc. Probably not the best place for somebody with anxiety issues.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 03-14-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #20

Liked 79 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by death01 View Post
I cant risk getting denied. First i buy a gun, it may ask me if i am mentally incompetent or something along those lines, i will say no, nothing illegal there. Then i go apply for ssd, lets say it asks me that i cant own a gun or something, then im pretty screwed, do i lie so i get ssd or do i say the truth and get denied, ahhhhh. I think i will have to risk getting denied ssd, i would rather have a gun and not have ssd then have ssd and not have a gun.
I'm sorry but this seems like an irrational decision. "You would rather have a gun and not have ssd then have ssd and not have a gun." If you are incapacitated to the point of needing ssd to survive in this world, then having a gun is the last thing you need. It makes me wonder what you want the gun for?
People Like This 
Closed Thread