Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   If I have anxiety disorder can I still buy a gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/if-i-have-anxiety-disorder-can-i-still-buy-gun-105056/)

death01 03-14-2014 01:46 AM

If I have anxiety disorder can I still buy a gun?

Long story short, I may apply for Social Security disability benefits(http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/medicine-medication-prescription-drugs-anxiety-disorder.html). I think I will go in the "system" as a guy who as a disability, Its kind of like if someone commits a crime, it is with them for the rest of their life? I think if I do, it will be on my record for the rest of my life, and it will prohibit me from buying a gun? I dont know if it will also prohibit me from owning a gun. Should I buy a gun now, and then apply?

trip286 03-14-2014 02:18 AM

Here's what I always suggest: NEVER try to beat the system. If you know, or are pretty sure, you're about to go on anxiety meds and get ssd, then WAIT until you do that. THEN try to purchase a gun legally. Fill out the form honestly, and if you get denied, sorry. But if you get "proceed", then you did everything the right way.

Last thing anyone needs to do is screw themselves legally by trying to work around the system or being dishonest. It causes a bunch of hardship. I would know, a friend and I are doing a lot of "come to jesus" type of talking with some very nice gentlemen *gag* whilst trying to keeb my buns out of the fire right now. And all I did was trade a menial service for some wild game meat.

c3shooter 03-14-2014 02:21 AM

Under Federal law a person is prohibited from acquiring or possessing a firearm if they have been "adjudged mentally incompetent". That means that a govt appointed authority has entered a formal legal ruling that this person is not responsible for their own actions.

Case- I am severely depressed, and decide on my own to seek help. I check myself into a treatment facility, or I seek outpatient counseling. That is NOT "adjudged mentally incompetent".

Case- A police officer finds me sitting nude in the middle of a golf course, crying. When asked what I am doing there, I tell them I am trying to keep the dandelions from blooming blue this spring, but the wheels fell off my balloon. A judge reviews my case, orders me to be committed for observation in accordance with state law. Doc finds that I am severely delusional, am not mentally competent, and unable to care for myself. Judge orders me committed for treatment. I am now prohibited from possessing any firearm. At some later time I may be able to have that right restored.

YOUR case- sorry, I don't know. I do not THINK you would be prohibited, but would urge you to discuss that with an attorney in YOUR state.

Now, having gotten the law as I understand it ( and I am NOT A LAWYER) out of the way, could we talk practicalities for a minute? I do not know your circumstances, and I do not know how severe your problem is- but do the terms anxiety disorder and gun go together?

Rocky7 03-14-2014 02:22 AM

Good luck, trip286.

Axxe55 03-14-2014 02:22 AM

i would sugggest discussing this with an attorney that understands gun laws.

the advice you get here is worth every bit of what you can get anywhere on the internet and just as valid.

and no, i didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night either!:p

therewolf 03-14-2014 03:38 AM

I wouldn't apply for benefits just yet,

OP.

FIRST, go to a few LGSs, and try to even

FIND a gun you can stand to consider

owning. Then, after putting up with about

8 of the snobbiest, snottiest sales clerks

you ever met in your life, and you recover

from the sticker shock, on your maybe soon

to be prize, you can pony up the dough,

and begin the process of firearm purchasing.

We'll keep this hellish story short, and not

delve into those details, at the moment.

Let's just say you purchase your fine

little pill-thrower, then locate the only

range within 300 miles of your neighborhood,

THEN you can go deal with a couple RSOs

who have had way too much coffee, and

were born with a giraffe up their a**.

You get home, and every person in a 17 mile

radius wants to ridicule you for being a

"gun nut", if you even bring up the subject

of firearms or shooting.

Maybe THAT will give you a new outlook on

"Anxiety Disorder"...

Steel_Talon 03-14-2014 04:12 AM

IMHO "If" your on anti anxiety pills as part of your disability treatment then it would probably be a deal breaker......With Obama care all of your records are now being computerized and entering into "the Cloud" and can be easily accessed.

Mercator 03-14-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death01 (Post 1529620)
Long story short, I may apply for Social Security disability benefits(http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/medicine-medication-prescription-drugs-anxiety-disorder.html). I think I will go in the "system" as a guy who as a disability, Its kind of like if someone commits a crime, it is with them for the rest of their life? I think if I do, it will be on my record for the rest of my life, and it will prohibit me from buying a gun? I dont know if it will also prohibit me from owning a gun. Should I buy a gun now, and then apply?

For anxiety to disable a person, it has to be severe. Saying "go for it" would be irresponsible, and I am not an expert to categorically say "no". I hope it works out in your best interest.

TekGreg 03-14-2014 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel_Talon (Post 1529744)
IMHO "If" your on anti anxiety pills as part of your disability treatment then it would probably be a deal breaker......With Obama care all of your records are now being computerized and entering into "the Cloud" and can be easily accessed.

The problem here is that many, many, many more people take minor doses of psychoactive or anxiolytics as prescribed by a doctor and lead perfectly normal lives. The doctor is treating them, they buy the drugs and manage them at home without problem. This does not make them "Adjudged mentally incompetent." Many people have high-pressure jobs and may have Xanax for minor anxiety attacks, yet ,are nowhere near he definition of firearm exclusion.

ObamaCare is another attempt of the government to practice human control under the auspices of controlling mental health. This is akin to the DEA practicing medicine by telling doctors the conditions under which the can issue pain killers and how much. Because of this intrusion into medical care, untreated pain is now one of the largest epidemics in America. When the government takes over mental health care, I'm sure we will all be found crazy because of our "unnatural" desire to possess "killing devices." We have all obviously had undiagnosed psychotic issues and need to be "monitored"...right after we remove everything more dangerous than a teaspoon from your home.

Rocky7 03-14-2014 05:25 AM

Just read your link. The whole thing sounds like a scam to me.

IMO, the only ones with real "anxiety disorder" in our countries are those of us who harder and harder to pay more and more in taxes to give it all to people who either don't deserve it or think they have some duty to run our lives. Makes me pretty anxious, anyway.