Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > I could inherit a few firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default I could inherit a few firearms

A friend resently was given a whole slew of firearms. He lives in Indiana. He is planning on giving some to family and friends. However, some his family and friends live in Illinois, myself included.

I was wondering what needs to be done on either end to make the transfers legal.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Firearms Talk mobile app

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20895 Times on 11878 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
A friend resently was given a whole slew of firearms. He lives in Indiana. He is planning on giving some to family and friends. However, some his family and friends live in Illinois, myself included.

I was wondering what needs to be done on either end to make the transfers legal.

Thanks in advance.

with you being in Illinois, you may have to go through an FFL even for long guns. transfer of handguns IIRC across state lines requires an FFL transfer to be legal.

i would check with an FFL in Illinois and ask this question or contact an attorney well versed with the gun laws in your state to be on the legal side of things.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #3

Liked 910 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 564

You lucky bastard. I'd just have your buddy's LGS contact your LGS, and have them do the shipping and transfers. They can work out what needs to be done, and let you guys know/charge you.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
You lucky bastard. I'd just have your buddy's LGS contact your LGS, and have them do the shipping and transfers. They can work out what needs to be done, and let you guys know/charge you.
Well I'm not holding my breath. You know what they say lol..if it sounds too good..

I was think about just doing a private sale from him to me. He is having Indiana (where they live) do the transfer between the current owner (Tim) to my buddy. So, once they are put into my buddies name we'll go from there. His is a resident of IN but is from IL. He currently has an 'up do date' FOID from when he still lived in IL.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 314 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Drive to your buddies house in Indiana, pick up the guns, have a beer and thank him. Drive back to Illinois with the guns.

When I got a few guns from an uncle in Nevada a few years ago I had him ship the guns to me in IL via the USPS. He broke them down and packaged them.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Drive to your buddies house in Indiana, pick up the guns, have a beer and thank him. Drive back to Illinois with the guns.
Lol Dude please, that fool is bringing them to me! He's planning on heading home in a week or two. I can wait a couple weeks for free guns.

I just want it to be legit so if I end up trading them/selling them later down the road I can with no ISP giving me grief.

-------------

Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Here is a link to the synopsis of gun laws in IL. http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/illinois.aspx

With the exception of inheriting a firearm, or purchase of a long gun from a dealer, transfer of a firearm between residents of two different states means the gun MUST be received by a Federal Firearms License holder in the receiving state. Federal law. IL also has a waiting period.

My advice to you would be to find a FFL holder (dealer) near you that they can be sent to, and have him process the transfer.

For those telling the OP to just drive over there and get them- do you plan to visit him in Federal prison? Because you are advising him to commit a Federal felony.

Not that the ATF ever arrests people......

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

Liked 910 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much they would give you for NOT doing the FFL transfer from one state to another?

I'd also like to add that if someone wanted to give me some guns, I would be MORE than happy to pay the shipping & transfers. (HintHint)

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 03-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Family in IL needs a FOID. Any firearms he transfers must accompany a bill of sale. IL law requires bill of sale to be kept for 10 years. Bill of sale should include make, model, serial, date of sale, buyer FOID #. Also don't forget the new person to person FOID check.

I will also include date and time of agreement. Time of sale. A pic of the firearm with both FOID cards visible.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 514

I would go the legal route. If you acquire the guns illegally, in the event the guns are lost or stolen your insurance will not pay. Moreover, if you use one of the illegally acquired guns to defend yourself you will be facing federal firearms charges, even if you had every right to use the gun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato