Howdy all from Georgia.. Considering a move to IL - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Howdy all from Georgia.. Considering a move to IL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Being a lifelong resident of the wide circle called the 'Chicagoland area'.... may I suggest as others have...look WEST of Cook Cty... to KANE county, southern McHenry, or far eastern DeKalb counties. It'd be a MUCH faster commute to Itasca than from NW Indiana AND when your work moves into Canal ST. (Chi-town?) you can take a commuter train from Geneva IL right into the Ogilvie Transportation Center in heart of Chicago which sits right at Canal and Madison Ave. Kane County and areas in southern McHenry/eastern Dekalb County have several rural areas/smaller towns in which to settle. Keep in mind, though, this is flatlander CORN country and you won't find much remaining in wooded homestead areas and the cost of a patch of ground in these areas of IL is costly. Before moving up here...take a little vacation and try doing a commute during rush hour from NW Indiana (or wherever you think you'd like to move) to AND from Itasca during the heat of rush hour. It'd be a good reality check for you. Definitely check commuter train availability too.

Last edited by tinkersdam; 01-17-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget71 View Post
I have mapped the drive from each of these places to Itasca, Google Maps even gives a decent estimated travel time with traffic. That's still an estimate though. Times range there from 1hr15min to 2hr in rush hour.
(((Imagine in a Beavis and Butthead voice...)))

Ha hehe haa, yeah right...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
... she grew up in the weather and is debating the nasty summers here to the nasty winters there. The weather is really not that important to me. I grew up in the heat of the south and have spent many years in the cold/nasty north (plus other places).
Now a plus, if you are a deer hunter, we have bigger tastier deer...

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 01-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
If you do look at a home in IL, look West of I-39 or south of the Kankakee or
Illinois Rivers (the confluence of the Kankakee and DuPage Rivers are the
start of the Illinois) The wife and I bought a house near Herscher, IL and we
were able to make Downers Grove in just over an hour, Itasca is a bit north of
DG, downtown from here is 1.5-1.75 hours. Also we have a lot of commuter
train options around the city to get you down town. Do you know the address
on canal?
The address is 111 N. Canal St.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #45

Quote:
Okay, your wrong, nothing in the law eliminates or even mentions particular
states. I would like to see what you are referring to "in the law". I think you
misunderstand the training credit. Any non-resident to IL can get a CCL as
long as they can legally own guns in their state, and meet all the same
requirements as an IL resident: age, background check, training, qualification,
etc...

Now the Illinois State Police (ISP) and not the law accepts the following
courses for credit:

Illinois Hunter Safety Course
Chicago Firearms Safety Course
Florida Concealed Carry
Kentucky Concealed Carry
Michigan Concealed Carry
Missouri Concealed Carry
Nevada Concealed Carry
Utah Concealed Carry

That means is you have one of the above you get 4 hours credit toward the
16 hour training requirement. So if you are lets say a GA or IN resident and
have the FL CCW. You only need 12 hours training to meet the 16 hour
requirement.

and that you have a CCL/CCW/CWP from an other state.
I got this from the ISP website https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/Home.aspx
Under the Requirements Prior to Applyin for a Concealed Carry License section ..............

NON-RESIDENTS

In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.
•Hawaii

Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Now a plus, if you are a deer hunter, we have bigger tastier deer...
This I know.. but your seasons SUCK

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #47

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Howdy.... Just an old southern boy checking in...
As the title says.. I'm considering a job offer up in Itasca... I'm starting to wonder how silly this would be.... The offers good, but wow the differences between here and now there on gun laws makes a slow thinker like me take a pause..

One big reason I'm considering the move is the wife is from Northern Indiana... Would it be feasible to live over in Indiana and make the commute everyday?.. I live outside atlanta now so I know you traffic...
My wife and I both conceal carry daily.. And shoot weekly (rifle and handgun)... If I had property, say 10 acres, in IL, is shooting there a decent possibility? We're not fond of indoor ranges.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Nothing much good I can say about Illinois except my family lives there...other than that, nothing but corn fields and democrats

Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The address is 111 N. Canal St.
That is close to both Union and the Chicago Northwestern (Train) Stations.

Also is close to The Best Pizza Anywhere in the world!!!

Gino's East
500 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60654

312-988-4800

Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #49

Quote:
That is close to both Union and the Chicago Northwestern (Train) Stations.

Also is close to The Best Pizza Anywhere in the world!!!

Gino's East
500 N. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60654

312-988-4800
cool.. close as in walking distance?

Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
NON-RESIDENTS

In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.
•Hawaii
That came from IllinoisCarry. That is not on the state website.

Actual text of the law:

Quote:
(430 ILCS 66/40)
Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.
(a) For the purposes of this Section, "non-resident" means a person who has not resided within this State for more than 30 days and resides in another state or territory.
(b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident license applications from any state or territory of the United States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act.
(c) A resident of a state or territory approved by the Department under subsection (b) of this Section may apply for a non-resident license. The applicant shall apply to the Department and must meet all of the qualifications established in Section 25 of this Act, except for the Illinois residency requirement in item (xiv) of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Section 4 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The applicant shall submit:
(1) the application and documentation required under Section 30 of this Act and the applicable fee;
(2) a notarized document stating that the applicant:
(A) is eligible under federal law and the laws of his or her state or territory of residence to own or possess a firearm;
(B) if applicable, has a license or permit to carry a firearm or concealed firearm issued by his or her state or territory of residence and attach a copy of the license or permit to the application;
(C) understands Illinois laws pertaining to the possession and transport of firearms, and
(D) acknowledges that the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Department and Illinois courts for any violation of this Act; and
(3) a photocopy of any certificates or other evidence of compliance with the training requirements under Section 75 of this Act; and
(4) a head and shoulder color photograph in a size specified by the Department taken within the 30 days preceding the date of the application.
(d) In lieu of an Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card, a non-resident applicant shall provide similar documentation from his or her state or territory of residence. In lieu of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the applicant shall submit documentation and information required by the Department to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, including an affidavit that the non-resident meets the mental health standards to obtain a firearm under Illinois law, and the Department shall ensure that the applicant would meet the eligibility criteria to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification card if he or she was a resident of this State.
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
Non-resident Requirements from the ISP Website.

NON-RESIDENTS

Quote:
•I am at least 21 years old.
•I have not been convicted of any Felony.
•I have not been adjudicated as a mental defective by a court of law.
•I have not been involuntarily committed to a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment.
•I have not been admitted as a voluntary patient in a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment within the past 5 years.
•I have not been addicted to narcotics.
•I am not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
•I am not subject to any active Order of Protection.
•I have not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
•I have not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic battery or substantially similar offense.
•I have not been adjudicated a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony.
•I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
•I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
•I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
•I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
•You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement. (Section 15)
Quote:
Section 15. Objections by law enforcement agencies.
(a) Any law enforcement agency may submit an objection to a license applicant based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or herself or others, or a threat to public safety. The objection shall be made by the chief law enforcement officer of the law enforcement agency, or his or her designee, and must include any information relevant to the objection. If a law enforcement agency submits an objection within 30 days after the entry of an applicant into the database, the Department shall submit the objection and all information related to the application to the Board within 10 days of completing all necessary background checks.
(b) If an applicant has 5 or more arrests for any reason, that have been entered into the Criminal History Records Information (CHRI) System, within the 7 years preceding the date of application for a license, or has 3 or more arrests within the 7 years preceding the date of application for a license for any combination of gang-related offenses, the Department shall object and submit the applicant's arrest record, the application materials, and any additional information submitted by a law enforcement agency to the Board. For purposes of this subsection, "gang-related offense" is an offense described in Section 12-6.4, Section 24-1.8, Section 25-5, Section 33-4, or Section 33G-4, or in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Section 12-6.2, paragraph (2) of subsection (b) of Section 16-30, paragraph (2) of subsection (b) of Section 31-4, or item (iii) of paragraph (1.5) of subsection (i) of Section 48-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012.
(c) The referral of an objection under this Section to the Board shall toll the 90-day period for the Department to issue or deny the applicant a license under subsection (e) of Section 10 of this Act, during the period of review and until the Board issues its decision.
(d) If no objection is made by a law enforcement agency or the Department under this Section, the Department shall process the application in accordance with this Act.

Last edited by Shade; 01-17-2014 at 06:57 PM.