Howdy all from Georgia.. Considering a move to IL - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Howdy all from Georgia.. Considering a move to IL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Make sure you are south of the Kankakee River basin and not in a flood plain.
Why south?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget71 View Post
Why south?
North of it you have your choice of swamp or Gary... neither are good options.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #23

Quote:
North of it you have your choice of swamp or Gary... neither are good options.
Got ya don't want any part of Gary... I grew up in swamps

Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #24
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Itasca is easy to get to from the West. Just live outside Cook County.
Check your insurance rates; the closer to Chicago, the higher your car insurance. All 'burbs are not equal!
Out in Kane county, the taxes are better, there is a great indoor range (GAT gun), plenty of shopping and food places, and pretty good living (for IL).
You have to watch where the county lines are; Cook county extends out to Elgin along I90 and the area around O'Hare airport.
I would have to second this and what Shade said. I'm up near the WI border in Lake County. Property taxes are the killers around here in the collar counties. But the farther west you go the less expensive it is, and traffic isn't as much of a nightmare. Commutes can still be long though. There are some better outdoor and a few indoor ranges easier to access out west.

You're insane if you think driving from IN to Itasca is doable. I'd look at Kenosha, WI area if you want to make a long commute. It would be easier, friendlier gun laws, some good outdoor ranges not too far, and good hunting too. Since you're probably only going to see the IN family on weekends, traffic would be much lighter to get around in too.

On the positive side, Chicago itself is a fantastic city aside from the politics. And there's great things all around us.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #25

Liked 152 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 262

here is some insider info that may help your budgeting....budget71.

we have a fellow that drives to and from valpo, IN to our office in Bellwood, IL 5 days a week. Bellwood is about a half hour closer to IN border on I-290 then Itasca. i just happen to have our fleet vehicle fuel costs in front of me today.

his fuel costs (2003 chevy impala) for the last three years were roughly

2011: $4183
2012: $4375
2013: $3941

so until your commute is into the city to the office on Canal St., these are pretty likely minimum fuel costs for your commute to itasca from NW IN.

perhaps that can help put things in perspective, cant be a quick an easy decision, good luck!!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Got ya don't want any part of Gary... I grew up in swamps
Just remember we told you not too...

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 01-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
here is some insider info that may help your budgeting....budget71.

we have a fellow that drives to and from valpo, IN to our office in Bellwood, IL 5 days a week. Bellwood is about a half hour closer to IN border on I-290 then Itasca. i just happen to have our fleet vehicle fuel costs in front of me today.

his fuel costs (2003 chevy impala) for the last three years were roughly

2011: $4183
2012: $4375
2013: $3941

so until your commute is into the city to the office on Canal St., these are pretty likely minimum fuel costs for your commute to itasca from NW IN.

perhaps that can help put things in perspective, cant be a quick an easy decision, good luck!!
Mack,
Thanks for this info... this does help put things into perspective... I am still undecided and to be honest, waiver back and forth multiple times a day.
The fuel costs are being considered. Especially since at the moment I drive an F150 4X4 that gets about 16MPG average... so rough numbers at 70 miles a day is $153 a week or ~$4K a year.... .. but more importantly is that I think we would first rent closer in IL, but end up buying in IN. the buying won't happen before the office moves to N. Canal St.

The rent thing is an issue though because we have 3 larger dogs..1 mutt and 2 German Shepherds...

I really do want to thank everyone for their input. Considering this is a firearms forum, I;m getting a lot of what I expected in respects to not moving there due to the restraints.... those weigh heavy on me... I've concealed carried every day for the last 10 years. And just a year or so ago I managed to convince the wife to carry full time as well.. Since I currently refuse to be a full resident of IL, that goes out the window... shooting every weekend will become much more difficult as well... yet this is just one aspect..
There are true benefits for me saying yes to this job as well... with my current place in life, this would be a retirement job... with a retirement home eventually being purchased. The life style of Northern Indiana suits me and the wife as well. Most of our personal time is spent outdoors. With us buying a larger plot of land in IN, that would be a good thing. From gardening, to shooting and bushcraft.... plus the hunting, yet all of the seasons up there in IN., IL, WI suck compared to GA. However, I will still have places to hunt in GA. That will be easy since I wont be spending 95% of all my vacation every year driving to Northern Indiana.

Sorry for the ramblings, but I hope I'm making sense and expressig my conundrum..

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I've concealed carried every day for the last 10 years. And just a year or so ago I managed to convince the wife to carry full time as well.. Since I currently refuse to be a full resident of IL, that goes out the window...
Just clear up some confusion, you can CC in Illinois as a non-resident, you
have to get an IL non-resident license, that fee is $300 for five years plus
the training costs. But it is an expensive option.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #29
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Indiana to Itasca commute isn't really plausible. Simply mapquest the drive time. Now double it for rush hour traffic.

Dupage is a little better than Crook County but not by much. If you do move to IL, I wouldn't even bother with cook county.

I literally got off the phone with a guy about 30 minutes ago who said he moved here from Virginia about 6 months ago and had no idea the gun laws. He said it was a huge shocker to him and had he known he might not have moved.

I would leave Chicago tomorrow if I could. Actually I don't live in Chicago anymore but for me the entire metro area IS Chicago. Think about it like this. For $315k my house is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom ranch about 2,100 sq ft with attached garage. Small house on a small lot, actual property is like 4,997 sq ft. What could you get in your area for $315,000?

Let's talk taxes. For my little ranch house I pay about $7,000 a year in taxes. Yes I am in a good school district which is why I bought, but I know a guy who has a house about the same size on a larger lot in TN and pays $269.00 per year in property taxes and he only paid something like $70k for his house. I'm sure the schools aren't nearly as good but for those property taxes I could send my kids to private school.

Let's talk about red light and speeding cameras. In 2012, I spent well over $500 in red light camera tickets. That's like turning your average road into a toll road, and since I was a roofing contractor at the time I drove ALOT. They added the speeding cameras in 2013.

9.25% sales tax in cook county. And don't try to buy a car in Lake or Dupage counties, because when you register it in Cook you will get a tax bill for the difference. How is that even legal!? Most people I know will drive an hour out of cook for their big ticket purchases to save 2-3% on the sales tax.

Honestly, unless you are going to earn more than $100,000 or less than $20,000 it's not worth moving into Cook.

Now let's talk about the FOID. On paper sounds like a good idea, back ground checks, public safety, except the whole system is abused by our anti-freedom state government to inconvenience, suppress, and even criminalize gun owners.

And now they just made e-cigarettes the same classification as a real tobacco cigarette. Throw a cigarette butt out your car window, which is kind of scummy anyways, but it's not a jailable offense in my opinion. I do not smoke cigarettes, but I think those who want to should be able to. Oh and my brother does smoke and a pack of cigarettes costs well over $10 a pack, because of, you guessed it, taxes!

I look forward to the day I leave this state!

3 dogs in an apartment?! That's going to be tough. You may have to rent a house.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #30
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Just clear up some confusion, you can CC in Illinois as a non-resident, you
have to get an IL non-resident license, that fee is $300 for five years plus
the training costs. But it is an expensive option.
Or in your vehicle if you are eligible to carry in your state of residence.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com