Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > How do you know if you can legally shoot on your land???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

OP, what county are you going to be shooting in? I shoot in Will county and we have had zero issues. The land we shoot on is about 6 acres, we have a backstop and all the neighbors (there are only two) are cool. The neighbors only have one request, and that is to shoot any coyotes we might see, we have a stand for that. Make triple sure you have a good backstop (dirt berm) and it really might be a good idea to ask the neighbors, if there are any before hand.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
BAD BAD BAD suggestion

Call a local 2A attorney and ask someone who knows the law.

LEO are not known for knowing the laws.
It would be good to know what the guys who will be getting the complaints think the answer is though. It will let you know whether to expect them to respond and if you should have a printed copy of the relevant laws in your range bag.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
call the local PD and ask. here as long as you are out side city limit, and have a good backstop we are good. , also i believe you may have to be at least 500ft from another occupied dwelling. unless you have permission from the owner.
Do not call the cops. Cops are really bad about knowing the letter of the law. If you are going to call anyone, either call an attorney or the DAs office.

In every state I lived, even if you are on your own property, you must be at least one hundred yards away from any fixed structure or dwelling unless said fixed structure was specifically designed to be shot in or from, and that includes your own home.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1067 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Do not call the cops. Cops are really bad about knowing the letter of the law. If you are going to call anyone, either call an attorney or the DAs office.

In every state I lived, even if you are on your own property, you must be at least one hundred yards away from any fixed structure or dwelling unless said fixed structure was specifically designed to be shot in or from, and that includes your own home.
Discharge of Firearms and Bows
It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
You may hunt waterfowl, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet in the direction you are shooting.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #15

For which state is that?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1067 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
For which state is that?
New York.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #17

Wow, a well written proper law about guns in NY? Amazing.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7654 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Ask at the Sheriff's office. If the Deputy does not have a very confident and very clear answer then ask them to clarify by showing you the specific laws pertaining to shooting in your county.

If they start their answer by saying "Well, I think....." then stop them right there and tell them that you did not ask what they think, you asked what the law says. Be polite and all though.

It would not hurt to have it in writing exactly what the law says when you do shoot if there is any question, because if the cops show up and they don't know if you are legal or not it can get real bad for you real fast.

Around here in CA it is legal to shoot outside of city limits, but there are exceptions that are spelled out in County laws. When I shoot on my property I call in beforehand to the non-emergency dispatch number with the Sheriff's Office to notify them that I will be shooting. When I do that they have never shown up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
It would be good to know what the guys who will be getting the complaints think the answer is though. It will let you know whether to expect them to respond and if you should have a printed copy of the relevant laws in your range bag.
Is there an echo in here???

Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Yup.
up.
p.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #20

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Well when I first went shooting I went to my dad's friend's friend's house and he let me shoot his guns. he only has one acre but his neighbor has 40. He says he can legally shoot on his land because he's in a unincorporated part of illinois.