How do you know if you can legally shoot on your land???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > How do you know if you can legally shoot on your land???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default How do you know if you can legally shoot on your land???

I did some research on illinois gun laws and I didnt find anything about shooting on your own land. So can someone tell me how you can legally shoot on your land or what do i need to do to be able to shoot on my land?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I did some research on illinois gun laws and I didnt find anything about shooting on your own land. So can someone tell me how you can legally shoot on your land or what do i need to do to be able to shoot on my land?
I cannot say for certain how this applies in Illinois, but in Ohio if you are outside city limits your free to let the lead fly.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not sure about in IL, but down here most of it has to do with whether you are on a 10 acre+ spot and whether you are within the limits of any town with a noise ordnance.

Personally, i would start by asking the guys who will be answering any complaints, the local PD or SD.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Where I am in Wash. there are designated shooting and non-shooting areas.This generally has to do with population density, or if there have been complaints about unsafe shooting practices or some other problem with shooters(littering,trespassing,destruction of property ,etc.).There is a civilian advisory board that investigate the complaints and then decide if an area's status should be changed.

Call your local law enforcement and ask to be sure if you can legally shoot where you are.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 164 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Start shooting, if no one shoots back and po po don't show, you are good to go....

Disclaimer...taking this advise may be hazardous to your health and or freedom

People Like This 
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

call the local PD and ask. here as long as you are out side city limit, and have a good backstop we are good. , also i believe you may have to be at least 500ft from another occupied dwelling. unless you have permission from the owner.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
call the local PD and ask. here as long as you are out side city limit, and have a good backstop we are good. , also i believe you may have to be at least 500ft from another occupied dwelling. unless you have permission from the owner.
BAD BAD BAD suggestion

Call a local 2A attorney and ask someone who knows the law.

LEO are not known for knowing the laws.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #8

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You're supposed to ask before shooting!! We goto our cousins farm in Illinois and shoot. It's always them damn city folk that have problems with people shooting on the property.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

Use a suppressor and no neighbors will know! Your realtor really should have covered this when you moved in.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8723 Times on 5045 Posts
Likes Given: 11338

Ask at the Sheriff's office. If the Deputy does not have a very confident and very clear answer then ask them to clarify by showing you the specific laws pertaining to shooting in your county.

If they start their answer by saying "Well, I think....." then stop them right there and tell them that you did not ask what they think, you asked what the law says. Be polite and all though.

It would not hurt to have it in writing exactly what the law says when you do shoot if there is any question, because if the cops show up and they don't know if you are legal or not it can get real bad for you real fast.

Around here in CA it is legal to shoot outside of city limits, but there are exceptions that are spelled out in County laws. When I shoot on my property I call in beforehand to the non-emergency dispatch number with the Sheriff's Office to notify them that I will be shooting. When I do that they have never shown up.