How can I carry/transport a handgun in Illinois? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > How can I carry/transport a handgun in Illinois?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 41

It has been ruled in the courts of Illinois that a case can be defined as a center console or the glove compartment.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #12

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
It has been ruled in the courts of Illinois that a case can be defined as a center console or the glove compartment.
Got a friend that did this . Yes its legal but most LEO don't know that . Anyway because it was a sunday and no judge he spent the night in the pokey until the judge threw this out the following morning . Maybe not the ssmartest thing to do but it is legal

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6766 Times on 3697 Posts
Likes Given: 13343

Quote:
Originally Posted by death01
Hi, correct me if im wrong, we can only carry it unloaded and in the case it came in?

How do i carry a gun if im walking/or on a bicycle? everyone always talks about when your in a vehicle, but what about when your walking
Unloaded and in "A" case is how I read it. It doesn't have to be the original packaging.
As far as non-auto transport, I would argue the same regulations. Unloaded and in a case.

For those who don't know, Illinois is the only state in the country that prohibits both concealed and open carry of handguns.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #14

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Unloaded and in "A" case is how I read it. It doesn't have to be the original packaging.
As far as non-auto transport, I would argue the same regulations. Unloaded and in a case.

For those who don't know, Illinois is the only state in the country that prohibits both concealed and open carry of handguns.

Yup until June 8th anyway You can open carry so long as its not in the city limits , not in a vehicle and on your own property which pretty means you cant carry any where

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 03-29-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Yup until June 8th anyway You can open carry so long as its not in the city limits , not in a vehicle and on your own property which pretty means you cant carry any where
"Illinois will technically become an "unrestricted" carry state on June 8, 2013 if the Illinois General Assembly fails to adopt legislation establishing a permitting system for firearms carry by that date."

So we can open and conceal carry after June 8th? Theres a "if" in that statement so its not 100% certain?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #16

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Carrying and transporting are two completely separate issues. If the gun is "ready to go" you will be carrying regardless of where or how the gun is stored. To legally transport a gun it must be unloaded and in a case, separate from any ammo. If you cannot place it in a separate compartment of a vehicle the case must be locked. A gun in a backpack will earn you a trip to jail in IL.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:

Ill have it in my bookbag, noone will see the im carrying a gun.
Not sure how you don't see that as concealed carry. The advice provided here is sound. Welcome to Illinois.

Google "illinois transporting firearms" and the first three links should tell give you the answer from the ISP (two are PDFs).

Get caught and you lose everything and get charged with a felony, which will ruin the rest of your life. Keep an eye out for when CCW gets passed soon.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:

Ill have it in my bookbag, noone will see the im carrying a gun.
One other thing. You said it'll be in a book bag. Are you bringing it to school or University?

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Last edited by KJG67; 03-29-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

The center console of a vehicle has been deemed a suitable carrying case. The firearm may not have a loaded magazine in it, right next to it is ok though.

Last edited by mybigguns; 03-29-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2089 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Check out this guide produced by the Illinois State Police. I keep a copy of it on my phone just in case.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA