Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Hey Illinois - New Gun Laws today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Hey Illinois - New Gun Laws today

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Quinn-Guns-Are-a-Plague-on-Too-Many-of-Our-Communities-220119231.html

Gov. Pat Quinn Sunday signed a new gun safety law that requires background check for all gun purchasers statewide as well as the reporting of all lost and stolen guns.

Prior to the law, the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act only applied to licensed firearms dealers and sales at gun shows between private parties or by federally licensed firearms dealers.

Private sellers were not required to check whether or not a purchaser had a valid FOID card, a loophole the new legislation closes.

The law also requires the Illinois State Police to develop an internet-based system for individuals to determine the validity of a FOID card prior to a sale or transfer of a firearm.

The reporting requirement for lost and stolen guns takes effect immediately. The new background check system will take effect Jan. 1.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I thought you guys just caught a break didn't you? Now they're trying to tighten things back up. might be time to come on over to Missouri. Are they actually giving people conceal carry or did they make it pretty much impossible to get?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
I thought you guys just caught a break didn't you? Now they're trying to tighten things back up. might be time to come on over to Missouri. Are they actually giving people conceal carry or did they make it pretty much impossible to get?
Jim , nothing yet its been in place for long enough but the state police have not done their job yet to get this in place, Who knows if it will ever take effect . Saddened to even live in IL

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Are they actually giving people conceal carry or did they make it pretty much impossible to get?
Don't know, it will be Jan 2014 before the rules and applications will be out, so who knows.

As to the FOID cards, that has been around for 30 years now and I have never had a problem with it, have had a card since it first came out and have purchased numerous guns. It is just stupid to sell a gun to someone that can not legally own one here in Illinois, or even purchase one from someone without a FOID card (could be stolen). It was a crime before this law was signed, so I really see no change. If people want to do stupid things, there is no cure for that. It just puts them on notice that there is now a price to pay for doing it.

Jim

Old 08-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Background check for all gun sales is not necessarily accurate. In actuality the law states that we must call the ISP to make sure that the FOID card is still valid and nto revoked or forged. Not really a back ground check per say. Law already required that private sales must show the FOID, now not only must we show but we must call to make sure it is valid.

Furthermore the law has no penalties for not calling the ISP. So while you must do it, literally nothing will happen if you don't. I highly expect this to change in the coming sessions as the anti gunners will most certainly push for penalties.

I am not against the FOID card on the surface of the law. However when you get into the meat and cheese of it, the law is severely broken and only serves to law abiding gun owners and does nothing to punish criminals really. It also makes accidental criminals out of the otherwise law abiding is someone forgets to renew their FOID card on time, or leaves their card at home, etc...

The ISP still has some time before they are required by law to release their training curriculum and begin approving trainers. The time tables were spelled out in the law. IN theory the longest they can push back CC would be something like I think off the top of my head June 2014. But again, no penalties were written into the law if the ISP fails to meet those time lines. However in speaking with Todd V, from the NRA, he has been working with the ISP and is confident that the ISP is truly trying to meet the time lines set out by the IL CC law.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yep to all above. This is just another law to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding FOID carriers. I'm sure Quinn thinks this will actually reduce crime and stop the bad guys. I'm also sure ISP will make a few bucks out of the internet-based system required for private sales to check on FOID status in addition to the tax dollars it will take to implement.

I did see: "Republican State Representative Bill Mitchell wants to ease some restrictions in the state's new concealed carry law. He's introducing legislation aimed at reducing the amount of training Illinois gun owners would have to get to carry a loaded weapon in public. It also would cut the cost of a concealed carry permit good for five years from 150-dollars to 100."
http://altondailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=17&id=89537

Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #7

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This is an attempt by the Cook Co. Democratic Machine to support a National back ground check on every citizen. This will not work. The Obama supporters will claim there law is an orphan. They will demand the passage of Obama's failed National Gun Law.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe this is what Quinn had in mind.

image-56624687.jpg  

Mack Bolan Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

We always seem to forget that the gun didn't act out these horrific crimes without a dance partner.
Chicago gas some of he most anti-gun laws in place so how is there are so many more murders there than most cities of similar population?
Could it be that the only people that have trouble obtaining a firearm are the people who obey the laws.
You stupid ass professional politicians can't understand that the criminal minded population don't give a rats ass about how many laws you pass, never have never will. Why? Anybody?
Because they are criminals, that's how they roll. The only thing you do manage is stripping away your law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves with equal opposition.
Thanks for nothing all of you POS politicians

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #10

Liked 195 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is the mindset from the "More laws equal less crime" crowd.