Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > FOID Card Requirement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default FOID Card Requirement

Is a FOID card a requirement or can an out of state resident (IN) buy Ammo in IL?

One place here rejected me while another (A major national outdoor chain) sold to me. Just curious what the law is.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8427 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

FOID cards are only issued to residents of Illinois- no non-resident card. If you are not a resident of Illinois, you may possess a firearm and buy ammo without one. Be prepared to show you are a resident of elsewhere, and expect to encounter folks that do not know the law.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We went to an indoor range in Peoria yesterday. When I asked if I could shoot on my Indiana DL without a FOID card, the guy behind the counter said, "Yes. We trust out of state people. It's our own we don't trust."

Loved it. Never been more glad I moved to Indiana.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadiloroadkil
We went to an indoor range in Peoria yesterday. When I asked if I could shoot on my Indiana DL without a FOID card, the guy behind the counter said, "Yes. We trust out of state people. It's our own we don't trust."

Loved it. Never been more glad I moved to Indiana.
Where at in Indiana do you live? I'm in Northwest. When Blythes opens back up you will have to try there range. They closed the store to remodel the range for the whole month of July.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Is a FOID card a requirement or can an out of state resident (IN) buy Ammo in IL?

One place here rejected me while another (A major national outdoor chain) sold to me. Just curious what the law is.
I was born up in WI but both of my parents were cops in chicago....I've been in wi since 4th grade and did find out about the foid card until last year. I don't have any experience buying ammo or shooting in I'LL in the past few years but I was at bass pro just outside of the city and the only way you can buy a gun or ammo at that joint is to have a current season non resident hunting license...they wouldn't even let me touch a gun behind the counter.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00

Where at in Indiana do you live? I'm in Northwest. When Blythes opens back up you will have to try there range. They closed the store to remodel the range for the whole month of July.
I live in Greenfield, east of Indy.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take my advise just stay outta this crooked ass state, Ranges usally won't give you a problem because they know the law, stores on the other hand it all depends on the clerk you get. Either way this state sucks for gun owners

Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:

I live in Greenfield, east of Indy.
Have you been to Dons in Indy? Me and my wife almost went there to shoot machine guns, but went to Elkhart instead. Better selection in Elkhart.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert999
Take my advise just stay outta this crooked ass state, Ranges usally won't give you a problem because they know the law, stores on the other hand it all depends on the clerk you get. Either way this state sucks for gun owners
Yes it does, but I can't. My wife and I are both originally from the Peoria area so we've OT a lot of family to visit.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadiloroadkil View Post
Yes it does, but I can't. My wife and I are both originally from the Peoria area so we've OT a lot of family to visit.
Yep the things we do for family If you use Highway 74 you can take the bloomington/mitsubishi exit and be at darnells gun range in bout 5 10mins its a decent range closest one to me so its what i got