Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   FOID Card Requirement (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/foid-card-requirement-67625/)

Armadiloroadkil 07-04-2012 09:45 PM

FOID Card Requirement

Is a FOID card a requirement or can an out of state resident (IN) buy Ammo in IL?

One place here rejected me while another (A major national outdoor chain) sold to me. Just curious what the law is.

c3shooter 07-04-2012 10:48 PM

FOID cards are only issued to residents of Illinois- no non-resident card. If you are not a resident of Illinois, you may possess a firearm and buy ammo without one. Be prepared to show you are a resident of elsewhere, and expect to encounter folks that do not know the law.

Armadiloroadkil 07-06-2012 07:33 PM

We went to an indoor range in Peoria yesterday. When I asked if I could shoot on my Indiana DL without a FOID card, the guy behind the counter said, "Yes. We trust out of state people. It's our own we don't trust."

Loved it. Never been more glad I moved to Indiana.

Fathead00 07-06-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadiloroadkil
We went to an indoor range in Peoria yesterday. When I asked if I could shoot on my Indiana DL without a FOID card, the guy behind the counter said, "Yes. We trust out of state people. It's our own we don't trust."

Loved it. Never been more glad I moved to Indiana.

Where at in Indiana do you live? I'm in Northwest. When Blythes opens back up you will have to try there range. They closed the store to remodel the range for the whole month of July.

Wi_Hunter556 07-06-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Is a FOID card a requirement or can an out of state resident (IN) buy Ammo in IL?

One place here rejected me while another (A major national outdoor chain) sold to me. Just curious what the law is.

I was born up in WI but both of my parents were cops in chicago....I've been in wi since 4th grade and did find out about the foid card until last year. I don't have any experience buying ammo or shooting in I'LL in the past few years but I was at bass pro just outside of the city and the only way you can buy a gun or ammo at that joint is to have a current season non resident hunting license...they wouldn't even let me touch a gun behind the counter.

Armadiloroadkil 07-07-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00

Where at in Indiana do you live? I'm in Northwest. When Blythes opens back up you will have to try there range. They closed the store to remodel the range for the whole month of July.

I live in Greenfield, east of Indy.

Gert999 07-07-2012 09:53 AM

Take my advise just stay outta this crooked ass state, Ranges usally won't give you a problem because they know the law, stores on the other hand it all depends on the clerk you get. Either way this state sucks for gun owners :(

Fathead00 07-07-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

I live in Greenfield, east of Indy.

Have you been to Dons in Indy? Me and my wife almost went there to shoot machine guns, but went to Elkhart instead. Better selection in Elkhart.

Armadiloroadkil 07-07-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gert999
Take my advise just stay outta this crooked ass state, Ranges usally won't give you a problem because they know the law, stores on the other hand it all depends on the clerk you get. Either way this state sucks for gun owners :(

Yes it does, but I can't. My wife and I are both originally from the Peoria area so we've OT a lot of family to visit.

Gert999 07-08-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadiloroadkil (Post 862581)
Yes it does, but I can't. My wife and I are both originally from the Peoria area so we've OT a lot of family to visit.

Yep the things we do for family :rolleyes: If you use Highway 74 you can take the bloomington/mitsubishi exit and be at darnells gun range in bout 5 10mins its a decent range closest one to me so its what i got:cool: