FOID application denied
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > FOID application denied

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default FOID application denied

Hello all -

My FOID application was recently denied. I had one many years ago, but it expired.

My application was denied because of mental health treatment I received more than 5 years ago. The letter I received states that even though my treatment was more than 5 years ago, I have to have a mental health professional sign off on a form in order to get approval.

My concern is that I no longer have an established relationship with a therapist or mental health professional of any kind. It seems to me unlikely that someone who doesn't know me would put themselves on the line and sign off on a stranger.

I have never been suicidal or homicidal. I sought help for depression after a divorce. The treatment I received was through a local hospital. I wasn't hospitalized, but attended a therapy group at the facility. I imagine that they must report all individuals who receive treatment there.

These days I'm doing very well. My depression was related to my divorce, and I haven't experienced it since. Many of my friends hunt and go to shooting ranges. I'm interested in taking a gun class and pursuing things legally.

I also have safety concerns.

I'm a female living alone. I live in a pretty safe area, but I live right on the edge of a very dangerous part of Chicago. I was mugged at gunpoint a few years ago. At my job, I deal with a lot of people who have criminal backgrounds. These individuals come to us to get an education, often after brushes with the a law. Some have committed minor offenses, but many are more serious. They often attend classes while on house arrest. Because of the nature of my position, I often need to give them my name as a contact person. These days a simple Google search could give them my address. I don't think I'm in any real danger, but I'd like to be able to have a gun to protect myself. It would give me peace of mind.

I'm frustrated because my treatment was over 5 years ago, and yet the burden of proof now rests on my shoulders. I can certainly try making an appointment with a psychologist and asking them to sign off, but I'm concerned about what would happen if they choose not to sign. I don't know if I could simply try someone else, or if my application would be further denied for the future.

Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all.

KG7IL Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Liked 495 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I would be interested in the outcome. I have kids and grand kids across the country that could benefit from the info given here

Old 06-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

Liked 250 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Interesting. A couple of years ago, I dated a woman from IL who was also treated for depression & takes drugs for it. She got a FOID card & bought a gun. Maybe things have changed.

Last edited by Balota; 06-22-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8656 Times on 5164 Posts
Likes Given: 11404

I would schedule an appt with a psychologist or psychiatrist and ask them if they would be willing to administer a psych evaluation for you and sign off that you are not a danger to yourself or others. Many people are treated for depression and take meds and counseling to recover. In no way does that constitute a threat to self and others. Depression is a mental illness but it is not on par with schizophrenia, sociopath, narcissist, attachment disorders, etc. You should be cleared to own a firearm.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

you have two options...

pay to start seeing another therapist or move to a state like wisconsin that honors your rights as a citizen....

thats about it.

your welcome here.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 06-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3020 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 2934

Consider contacting your previous physician who prescribed the meds. You may need to have a recent visit with him for an evaluation before he would sign off.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8983 Times on 4849 Posts
Likes Given: 18992

This will cause people to avoid seeking help for mental or emotional issues.
People Like This 
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8123 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 9329

Welcome maestra, sorry to hear, no doubt about it, it was a report that got you flagged and its gonna take another one or more from a "Professional" to get it removed. Its not fair or right but they just toss everyone with a diagnosis of Mental anything into the same poop can. As Mc pointed out, this will only kick back on everyone when people refuse to seek help fearing the loss of their freedom and rights when they do ask for assistance.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 981 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 281

It's a real shame. In light of recent events it is sure to become more difficult. Those with real murderous mental problems tend to slip through the cracks. Time after time.
As Balota suggested. I think your best bet is a visit to your previous doctor, or hospital. They have your record on file.