Foid...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Foid...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Foid...

Ok, fellow Illinoisians; its taking the Illinois State Police forever to send me my FOID card! How long is the average wait now for a renewal? Should I cancel my turkey hunting plans this year?

The thing that scares me is the clause on the FOID application is $10 non refundable. I know I can legally have a FOID, I have a clean record. If for whatever reason would they explain why if I was denied?

The ISP cashed my check 21days ago, lol I know it hasnt been that long it just seems like i've gotten it back quicker in the past. I feel like the ISP is resticting my 2nd ammendment right.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
Ok, fellow Illinoisians; its taking the Illinois State Police forever to send me my FOID card! How long is the average wait now for a renewal? Should I cancel my turkey hunting plans this year?

The thing that scares me is the clause on the FOID application is $10 non refundable. I know I can legally have a FOID, I have a clean record. If for whatever reason would they explain why if I was denied?

The ISP cashed my check 21days ago, lol I know it hasnt been that long it just seems like i've gotten it back quicker in the past. I feel like the ISP is resticting my 2nd ammendment right.
I dont remember how long they are supposed to have (I know there is a timeframe ie 30 days or 90 days or something, that they are not supposed to go past) but I also know there is a backlog of something like 70, 000 applications right now. I would just keep waiting. It to my friends girlfriend 3 months to get her FOID

Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

You could also try giving the state police a call and see if they can give you an answer. Website says please allow 30 days, here is the # 2177827980

Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7140 Times on 4297 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

I believe there has been a rush to get FOID cards, just like guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. I got my FOID about 3 years ago and it took maybe 3 weeks. I would not cancel your turkey hunt. If you get denied (which I'm pretty sure you won't if what you say is true) they will send a notice you were denied and what you need to do to find out why you were denied.

I'm betting it will come soon.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I believe there has been a rush to get FOID cards, just like guns and ammo are flying off the shelves.

I'm betting it will come soon.
I know, I just need to be patient. Im just nervious because without a current FOID I am in possession of my fireams illegally.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I remember correctly the FOID is supposed to by law get your your foid card within 30 or maybe 60 days of application. I am sure this can be verified. I have spoken with numerous people who have called and cited this fact and in turn their foid got expedited because the ISP is in violation of LAW if they don't get you your FOID in time. DON'T BE PATIENT. It is their responsibility to get you your FOID in a timely manner or they are infringing on your right to bear arms. The FOID in and of its' self is an infringement but that aside if they don't issue it that's a big problem. Call them.

Budget cuts and record number of applicants has the ISP way way behind.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Liked 235 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The turn around time is 30 days. 30 days....
According to ISRA, 70,000 FOID apps were submitted in February. There is one small office manned by a handful of ISP just south of Springfield. Don't count on your phone call being answered; they consider the ringing background noise. Now, if they were to take some of that FOID money and open a few satellite offices around the state, you might get a quicker processing time, but that would go against everything our politicians hold dear. So yes, they don't follow the law and they don't complete your app within the legal time frame, not much is going to change as long as the FOIS system is intact.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7140 Times on 4297 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
I know, I just need to be patient. Im just nervious because without a current FOID I am in possession of my fireams illegally.
How did you get to own a firearm before you got the FOID card? I know the laws are not always constitutional but if you get caught breaking those laws, you might just well find yourself in a position to never be able to own a gun again. You are taking a big risk I would not take.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

How did you get to own a firearm before you got the FOID card? I know the laws are not always constitutional but if you get caught breaking those laws, you might just well find yourself in a position to never be able to own a gun again. You are taking a big risk I would not take.
I've had a FOID since I was 16. Never has it taken this long to get my card renewed. I'm not going to give up my guns I already own waiting on my FOID. My arms stay at the house I havent traveled or shot them without some with me that has their FOID.

The thing that is driving me nuts is with all these ppl hoarding ammunition; when I see the rounds I need sitting on the shelf I have to cry a little side bc I cant buy them. I know when I do get my FOID I wont be able to find my ammuntion lol

-------------

Last edited by SmokyMtnHiker; 03-11-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 860 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 385

What in the world is a FOID card?

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.