Cook County AWB and C&R FFL
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Cook County AWB and C&R FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cook County AWB and C&R FFL

I have run across a question that I wasn't able to get answer from the Cook County Sheriff's Police. I live in Cook County, not Chicago, and am the holder of a C&R FFL. My question focuses on the acquisition of a SEMI-AUTO Thompson which is old enough to qualify for C&R but, is on the Cook County list.

My issue is this...if one reads the State of Illinois statute, it appears that for purposes of possession and transfer a firearm which qualifies as a C&R item on the BATF list, the procedures and obligations for transfer are the same as those for a regular FFL holder. As such, the question becomes is a C&R FFL holder exempt from the Cook County AWB with respect to C&R firearms..much in the same way that a regular Title 1 FFL is exempt with respect to Title 1 firearms?

Beecher Tool
NRA Ring of Freedom Heritage Ambassador Member, Member ISRA,NYSPRA, NFATCA, GOA, NSSF, 2nd Amend. Fdn. and FFL
General Curtis Lemay "My solution to the problem would be to tell the North Vietnamese Communists frankly that they've got to drawn in their horns and stop their aggression or we're going to bomb them into the Stone Age
SUPPORT OUR RIGHTS.......JOIN NRA RING OF FREEDOM WWW.NRAGIVE.COM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9158 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

I would not even ATTEMPT to offer an answer on this- total lack of familiarity with Cook county ordinances- but would suggest- skip the Sheriff- go to the County Attorney/ and or the County District Attorney (those are the nize pibble that would be prosecuting you if you are wrong)

Inquire from them- IN WRITING- regarding your status as a holder of a Federal Firearms License, issued by the BATFE, and how the Cook County Ordinance would or would not apply to you. When you get a response, makes copies, put original in a safe place.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Cook County AWB has never been enforced due to many legal challenges. The way it is written would not exempt a C&R firearm. You can inquire with the States Attorney but will most likely get the same answer.

Last edited by mag318; 03-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with Mag 318, it's on the books but never enforced from what I can gather. I personally wouldn't risk it until the ban gets struck down. It should be coming up in court some time soon as a few months back was sent back to appeal court. No doubt at some point it'll end up in supreme court.