Chicago Residents - give me the rundown - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Chicago Residents - give me the rundown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

We have a condo on Lake Shore about 4 blocks North of the Drake Hotel that we use when we want to go to Chicago. I have never had a problem North of the river in the downtown area, but that does not mean it couldn't happen. We have had problems down around Daily Plaza later at night, with one poor soul pulling a knife on us, and we have had problems in some of the neighborhoods while clubbing.

Once you get off Lake Shore the South becomes a war zone except immediately around the University of Chicago and our current POTUS's neighborhood. Poverty equals crime and few cops, money equals less crime and more cops.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I live in the suburbs south of the city. We go "downtown" for dinner etc a few times a year. Best advise is head on a swivel, eyes open, and anticipate what could happen! I always stay very aware in the city and it has served me well not only in Chicago but other major cities as well! Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

So I've actually gone and come back since I originally posted this thread.

I always keep my head on a swivel. Nothing special about Chicago there. I try to keep to well lit areas though I admit that I use the underground on occasion just because it has less foot traffic. On the plus side, it's easier to keep an eye on people down there and I'm always aware of my next exit if I'm down there after dark. It's mostly just bums anyway or my fellow anti-socials.

I definitely keep near the Magnificent Mile after dark, I may wander down a cross street but only to get to the bars. For the most part I'd say it's "safe" but no more so than any downtown area.

As much as I prefer night time in general, I'm looking forward to longer days for future trips as the city has a much different character in the daytime.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Glad you had a good trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
So I've actually gone and come back since I originally posted this thread.

I always keep my head on a swivel. Nothing special about Chicago there. I try to keep to well lit areas though I admit that I use the underground on occasion just because it has less foot traffic. On the plus side, it's easier to keep an eye on people down there and I'm always aware of my next exit if I'm down there after dark. It's mostly just bums anyway or my fellow anti-socials.

I definitely keep near the Magnificent Mile after dark, I may wander down a cross street but only to get to the bars. For the most part I'd say it's "safe" but no more so than any downtown area.

As much as I prefer night time in general, I'm looking forward to longer days for future trips as the city has a much different character in the daytime.
I am going tonight to a Bulls Game. That area has changed so much over the years. But alas you have to still be aware of your surroundings in the City day or night. Last year when my wife walked by a beggar without responding as many others were doing, he decided to pick on her for ignoring him. He began by yelling then approaching her. I was only a few steps behind and managed to get me between them. He went away when he realized I was serious but it was afterward I though about the fact that if he had a knife I was close enough that he could do serious damage and walk away. I know better! Just be safe!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
PGM

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I work in chicago all the time and have never had a problem.But during the summer side streets are avoided in some areas.If theres cameras with blue lights on top of poles keep moving.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGM
I work in chicago all the time and have never had a problem.But during the summer side streets are avoided in some areas.If theres cameras with blue lights on top of poles keep moving.
Saturday night before Easter Michigan Ave is run over by up to 300 teenagers starting fights with shoppers and Police....this has happened quite a few times on Michigan Ave. also known as the Mag mile. Be aware of what's happening around you!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
NO part of Chicago is considered safe, period. I grew up in Chicago, lived there for 25 years before I moved out. I now literally live across the street from the Chicago border. I repeat that no area is considered safe in my opinion. I work alot within the City of Chicago. Almost all areas one would consider good, though personally speaking I call it the S hittyty of S hitcago. The whole place is a cesspool in my opinion. Too many people in such a small area never leads to good.

Let me tell you about my experiences.

I have been attacked by gang bangers in areas of the city you would consider good, in broad day light.

I have had my vehicle broken into more times than I can actually remember, and most of which in areas you would consider good. Some in broad day light, some at night. I have friends also who have had similar experiences where they go into a building for 20 minutes and come out to find a broken window and stuff stolen.

I have been chased down the street by gang bangers who were waving guns at me by areas of the city you would consider good.

I have had several bicycles stolen, sometimes while I was riding them. Ouch.

NEVER EVER let your guard down while in the s hitty, always keep situational awareness. It's not called "ChIraq" on accident. The whole s hitty is a WAR ZONE.
I have lived in or around Chicago most of my life, excepts for my active duty
days in the Navy. Then I was getting paid combat pay and was likely safer.

If you want to be safe do not travel into Chicago or any of the surrounding suburbs, seriously...

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/06/flash-mobs-terrorize-beat-and-rob-chicago-tourists/174704/1

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/02/mag-mile-shops-on-alert-after-flash-mob-thefts/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06-06/news/ct-edit-mob-20110606_1_flash-mob-rash-of-similar-crimes-chicago-police

http://loyolastudentdispatch.com/2012/08/27/are-flash-mobs-returning-to-magnificent-mile/

If you cannot avoid travel to Shi-cago... The bring a gun...

How you can and not break the law, my suggestion, it is what I do. I keep
my 1911 unloaded in the factory case with 4 load mags. Keep it out of plain
sight but easy to get to if needed.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin10s View Post
Saturday night before Easter Michigan Ave is run over by up to 300 teenagers starting fights with shoppers and Police....this has happened quite a few times on Michigan Ave. also known as the Mag mile. Be aware of what's happening around you!
That's like the 3rd time this has happened. 27 arrests this time around.

Imagine 300 people rushing at you. What would you do?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

I wish I could say I know what I would do. Many answers would have the concealed carry argument but how many could you take out before the mob took you out? I guess run or duck and cover are the only options. HOWEVER the lame arguments against Concealed weapons, gun control etc are moot. No way did the PD get there in time to stop this and in fact they were at times over run themselves.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin10s View Post
I wish I could say I know what I would do. Many answers would have the concealed carry argument but how many could you take out before the mob took you out? I guess run or duck and cover are the only options. HOWEVER the lame arguments against Concealed weapons, gun control etc are moot. No way did the PD get there in time to stop this and in fact they were at times over run themselves.
This could be a great arguement for Hi-Cap mags and 9mm ammo.

300 rounds of .45 ACP gets heavy...

I think though as the bodies start stacking up around you
it would be a deterent to the remainder of the mob.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy