Chicago Residents - give me the rundown

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Chicago Residents - give me the rundown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default Chicago Residents - give me the rundown

It appears for the foreseeable future I will be taking regular trips to Chicago for work. So far I have been there a couple of times but had no problems but I am well aware of the crime problem.

I'm curious if the area I typically stay in is considered all that bad. I see police on a regular basis and aside from a large number of homeless have not had any real problems. I don't want to get into specifics because I hide my firearms hobby from my employer.

I will say that I typically stay on the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Ave or roughly that part of town. I do have to go around town so I'm not there exclusively, but that is usually where I end up after dark.

Dangerous area or relatively safe? I notice the natives don't seem that skittish but I've never underestimated people's ability to believe in the illusion of their own safety.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

That area is fine and is considered a tourist area. If you go further south of there would be bad.

Last edited by Fathead00; 12-22-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

By farther South, he means once you hit residential.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts

NO part of Chicago is considered safe, period. I grew up in Chicago, lived there for 25 years before I moved out. I now literally live across the street from the Chicago border. I repeat that no area is considered safe in my opinion. I work alot within the City of Chicago. Almost all areas one would consider good, though personally speaking I call it the S hittyty of S hitcago. The whole place is a cesspool in my opinion. Too many people in such a small area never leads to good.

Let me tell you about my experiences.

I have been attacked by gang bangers in areas of the city you would consider good, in broad day light.

I have had my vehicle broken into more times than I can actually remember, and most of which in areas you would consider good. Some in broad day light, some at night. I have friends also who have had similar experiences where they go into a building for 20 minutes and come out to find a broken window and stuff stolen.

I have been chased down the street by gang bangers who were waving guns at me by areas of the city you would consider good.

I have had several bicycles stolen, sometimes while I was riding them. Ouch.

NEVER EVER let your guard down while in the s hitty, always keep situational awareness. It's not called "ChIraq" on accident. The whole s hitty is a WAR ZONE.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7150 Times on 4303 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Usually the Mag Mile is safe. Not too many gang bangers fighting for the 'hood there. I agree, I would never let my guard down. When my children were young, I have taken them to the museums numerous times and never felt unsafe, though I was never careless. And when I go to Chicago I always wear a wedding band so it's not so obvious I am a single woman alone in the city.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Usually the Mag Mile is safe. Not too many gang bangers fighting for the 'hood there. I agree, I would never let my guard down. When my children were young, I have taken them to the museums numerous times and never felt unsafe, though I was never careless. And when I go to Chicago I always wear a wedding band so it's not so obvious I am a single woman alone in the city.
Can I ask a question? Not trying to be rude, but what protection does a wedding band afford? Do you think a mugger or rapist will care that you are married or not, or will even look?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #7

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post

Can I ask a question? Not trying to be rude, but what protection does a wedding band afford? Do you think a mugger or rapist will care that you are married or not, or will even look?
Discourages drunken morons at the least. Maybe. Also lends some doubt that a man might be nearby.

I always go armed. Have to check bags but I keep a knife on me at all times while I am there. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Also no stranger to walking questionable areas, so situational awareness is always on.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
CGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Discourages drunken morons at the least. Maybe.
Also no stranger to walking questionable areas, so situational awareness is always on.
Drunken morons probably don't look at her hand for a wedding band. I never did when I was on the prowl.

I grew up in the city. I once dated a girl in the suburbs. I was with her about age 20 walking her dog down the suburban streets. She said "why are you always looking around and behind you?" Until that day I had no idea I had this habit. After now living in the suburbs for the last 12 or so years, I wonder if I still do. I don't think my wife would notice such a thing as she grew up in a worse neighborhood than me and to be honest I think she's tougher than I am LOL

Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Stay out of a few areas and you should be ok. Try to stay out of the south side. There are ok neighborhoods there but its to easy to end up in a bad one. On the north side stay out of the Humboldt Park and Austin area and you should be ok.

During the night every area could be a kill zone so use caution.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

FYI - don't even think about bringing a firearm into the city unless you want to find out what trouble really looks like from behind bars! Like any big city, you never know what you'll run into. You always need to keep yourself alert as I'm sure you know.

Daylight, generally you shouldn't have any issue so long as you are in the right areas. Night on the mag mile - just stick near other people if you're alone and talk with the concierge as they will know if there's been any funny business in the area lately. There's a lot of police because that's where the money is - businesses and tourists. That's a good thing.

There are some areas of the city that you absolutely have no business in or need to be cautious in. That being said, I've had lots friends and coworkers visit the city along with tourist and slightly less touristy areas. They've all come away with how friendly and clean the city is. If you have some more info on the general areas or cross-streets you frequent, we can probably tell you more.

Or you can try this link to get some idea on crime in a location over time.
http://gis.chicagopolice.org/clearmap/startpage.htm#