C&R transfer question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > C&R transfer question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default C&R transfer question

Hello,

I am a C&R license holder in California, attempting to buy a C&R shotgun from a dealer in Des Plaines, Illinois. After the dealer received a signed copy of my C&R license, they informed me that an ATF agent performing an audit on their business has told them that C&R licenses are no longer valid for out of state C&R purchases, and all outgoing C&R weapons must be shipped to an 01 FFL.
(There is no dispute that the shotgun is C&R and I have presented a valid C&R license.)

The dealer has never heard of this, I have never heard of this, I can find no reference to any Illinois law regarding this, and apparently the current government shutdown prohibits the dealer from getting clairification.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, can you refer me to the law that invalidates a C&R license in Illinois?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Bump.........

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

BS. The entire PURPOSE of the C&R license is to aid in collecting across a state line.

California (state, not feds) will not permit a C&R FFL holder to directly receive a handgun- it must be shipped TO an 01 FFL, who can then transfer it to the C&F FFL (Such limitations apply only to a few states)

There is no effect on transfer of a C&R Shotgun to a C&R holder in CA. I assume this was a buy made on Gun Broker or similar site? Would advise seller this is not correct, it is not supported in the regulations both you and he have.

As far as what he "heard", I heard that redhead down the block fools around. THAT information is probably more factual than what he "heard". Ask him to comply with the terms of his sale, or post a negative feedback and request intervention by the sale site. Utter and total crap.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #4

Thank you c3shooter, those are my thoughts as well.

As I said, I can find no on-line reference to an applicable regulation; state, federal or county that prohibits the dealer from sending the C&R shotgun to me. Yet, according to this dealer, they have an ATF agent telling them as of now they cannot send a C&R shotgun from their dealership to ANY C&R license-holder ANYWHERE. Only to an 01 FFL.

All I could figure is it is some ruling specific to the state or county/municipality (hence my inquiry in this forum) . . . or ?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl7422 View Post
Hello,

I am a C&R license holder in California, attempting to buy a C&R shotgun from a dealer in Des Plaines, Illinois. After the dealer received a signed copy of my C&R license, they informed me that an ATF agent performing an audit on their business has told them that C&R licenses are no longer valid for out of state C&R purchases, and all outgoing C&R weapons must be shipped to an 01 FFL.
(There is no dispute that the shotgun is C&R and I have presented a valid C&R license.)

The dealer has never heard of this, I have never heard of this, I can find no reference to any Illinois law regarding this, and apparently the current government shutdown prohibits the dealer from getting clairification.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, can you refer me to the law that invalidates a C&R license in Illinois?

Unless some laws changed since the last time I looked the person making the claim is full of poo.
I think C3 covered the particulars well enough ...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Update: ATF clarified the earlier ruling and the shotgun was shipped. . . after I provided proof that the shotgun was, in fact, over 50 years old and a C&R -- and there were no restrictions in my state prohibiting the shipment to me.

This Illinois dealer is no longer accepting C&R licenses for C&R items.

The shotgun was in no way worth the hassle. . .