Buying ammo online question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Illinois Gun Forum > Buying ammo online question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

I never have to sign for ammo when I buy from ammotogo.com,they always just leave it at the door

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Living in "The Peoples Republic" for 38 years, for the most part the answer is yes, however. I noted several company's that would not sell to Illinois and California residents. I assume due to more restrictions or less profit? No moe FOID card for this former resident!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I've had ammo left on the door step as well, but there isn't any markings on the box that would let the ups guy know it's ammo. Maybe that's why they did re-deliver for a signature.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Living in "The Peoples Republic" for 38 years, for the most part the answer is yes, however. I noted several company's that would not sell to Illinois and California residents. I assume due to more restrictions or less profit? No moe FOID card for this former resident!
I don't know about ammo but for firearms if you're a dealer you have to register with the CA DOJ, maybe ammo is the same an companies don't want to deal with it.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Shipment is UPS GROUND, max is 66 pounds. More than 66 pounds becomes HAZMAT. No tracer or HE, primers or powder except when shipped as HAZMAT.

Hazmat shipping has it's own rules, headaches and costs.

I'd like to post this info on another forum, but will need to also give them a link to the regulation that covers it. Do you have one?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #16

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee

I'd like to post this info on another forum, but will need to also give them a link to the regulation that covers it. Do you have one?
thou doth ask c3 for source?!?!?!? BLASPHEMY!!!! C3 knoweth all!

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Gollygee- if there were one simple regulation on this, would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, anything but simple.

The "regulation" is a combination of 19 CFR 142 (Federal Dept of Transportation reg on Hazardous Materials transport) the US Domestic Mail Manual (regs for US Post Office) and the tariffs of UPS and FedEx.

Here it is in a nutshell-

You cannot mail ammunition by US Mail. Period. Brass or bullets, sure. People that get cute with US Mail get to meet US Postal Inspection Service- the folks that have the highest conviction rate of any Federal Law Enforcement agency.

Loaded ordinary ammunition in quantities of 66 lbs or less may be shipped by UPS or FedEx in GROUND shipment only (there is an exception to the GROUND part for Alaska- lack of roads, y'know). The local UPS store may refuse to accept the shipment- those are franchises, not run by UPS. Take it to a UPS Hub, or schedule a pickup.

Smokeless powder, black powder, BP substitute, primers and percussion caps CAN be shipped UPS ground (hell, they even deliver blasting caps) HOWEVER- those items fall into a different shipping classification than ammo. Those items, and large amounts of ammo- or ammo other than "ordinary" rifle, shotgun, or handgun ammo- such as tracer, incendiary, tear gas, etc- gets bumped into the HAZMAT shipping category.

The actual term for regular ammo is "Cartridges, Small Arms". The package carries a shipping label that looks like this:
cartridges-small-arms-orm-label-d1893.gif

The reason that AMMO can be shipped but powder/primers is shipped as HAZMAT- is the hazard of mass detonation. When assembled into cartridges, the brass and bullets provides mass that will absorb energy of a cartridge that should fire- and the whole box does not go off. However, if one primer in a box fires, they ALL may fire.

You can verify this by calling UPS Services, but do so when you have plenty of time to be on hold.

Summary- Never mail ammo. Ship ammo UPS GROUND, 66 lbs or less, use the ORM-D label.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kewl thanx for all the info guys appreciate it i went to the range today so now i need more any way lol

Old 04-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

C3 is correct on the weight limit. my listing of the 70 lbs. is the normal weight limit as to more than 70 lbs. it gets classified as overweight and shipping costs increase rapidly.

what he is talking aboout the HazMat labeling is why if you order powder and primers online or mailorder, they charge you a $25 HazMat fee. this why it is more cost effective to buy powder and primers locally if possible.

thanks C3 for the clarification.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #20

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Many thanks c3shooter! Definitely wasn't questioning your statement! But the hazmat subject has come up on another forum & was presented as being a requirement on ANY ammo shipment, regardless of weight. I wanted to point out the 66 lb. limit & knew they'd ask for proof.

Had a situation a while back where a member ordered some ammo & for what ever reason, the vendor would not ship to his state so he had it shipped to his brother in Texas. Then everyone was telling him his brother couldn't reship to him without first becoming hazmat certified!! If I read you correctly, he would have been okay shipping it UPS or Fedex without that because it was well below 66 lbs.

Edit: Just ocurred to me, how do you get the ORM-D label? Maybe that is why they said an individual had to be hazmat certified, just to be able to get the label?

Last edited by gollygee; 04-29-2012 at 06:21 PM.