Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Illinois Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   Any stores with 9mm in illinois? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/any-stores-9mm-illinois-86646/)

beastmode986 03-15-2013 10:41 PM

Any stores with 9mm in illinois?
 
Are there any stores in illinois with 9mm? not more than 1.5 hours from naperville area? Me and my dad just called at least 7 stores and they are all sold out.

JolietGunner 03-16-2013 12:52 AM

Gun or ammo?

beastmode986 03-16-2013 02:26 AM

The ammo. Its nowhere to be found

JolietGunner 03-16-2013 02:55 AM

Did you try Mega Sports in Plainfield?

austin92 03-16-2013 11:01 AM

Too bad your not closer to me. There's a little shop here with a couple hundred rounds at normal prices.

beastmode986 03-16-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JolietGunner (Post 1177587)
Did you try Mega Sports in Plainfield?

Not yet, they're pretty big though so I figured they would be sold out.

ChanceMcCall 03-16-2013 07:46 PM

Here is a thought. I know of a number of gun stores that have 9 MM in stock as well as other hard to find ammo. Not one of them would tell someone phoning in to inquire that they have it.

Look at it from the dealer's point of view and see if this makes sense:

You have ammo that is in short supply. You could just (as most are doing) raise the prices to double or triple their profits. I can sympathise with them even if I would not do that.

You have the ammo but you want to build long-term relationships so you don't raise the price. Are you going to want to sell it to a one time buyer who is only in your store because they can't buy what they want online or at the big brand store? If the caller isn't someone you know and like, the standard phone answer is, "Sorry" and that seems justified to me.

I was in my favorite gun store earlier today when someone came in looking for ammo only. He was rude and abrasive when asking about ammo and he certainly was no regular. He was offered ammo in the caliber he wanted but not the brand (.22LR) and he became even more rude by commenting the price was higher than he wanted to pay because the ammo was match grade. (The prices on the ammo offered were about 1/3 of what most of the box stores had been selling off brand dirty ammo for when they had it.) He left with no ammo or anything else. I left with 400 rounds of Remington Hollow Points at $6 per box and 200 rounds of exactly what I was looking for 9 MM ($40) for my wife's Boberg that was not out on the shelf. Had he been even halfway polite the owner might have sold him a box of what I bought at the same price.

We all build or destroy relationships. Maybe I have paid a few bucks more for a few things in there over the years, but I also built a relationship by understanding he has to make a buck as well. Now when I need something, he comes through for me, just like he does for all of his loyal customers.

fickenmeimirish 03-17-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 1177885)

Not yet, they're pretty big though so I figured they would be sold out.

Try mega sports, they may not be, as they have a limit 2 per caliber right now, their shelves are sparse but ive had no problem picking anything up there, with the exception of .45acp, dont know about 9mm tho, dont own any yet

draggin10s 03-24-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChanceMcCall
Here is a thought. I know of a number of gun stores that have 9 MM in stock as well as other hard to find ammo. Not one of them would tell someone phoning in to inquire that they have it.

Look at it from the dealer's point of view and see if this makes sense:

You have ammo that is in short supply. You could just (as most are doing) raise the prices to double or triple their profits. I can sympathise with them even if I would not do that.

You have the ammo but you want to build long-term relationships so you don't raise the price. Are you going to want to sell it to a one time buyer who is only in your store because they can't buy what they want online or at the big brand store? If the caller isn't someone you know and like, the standard phone answer is, "Sorry" and that seems justified to me.

I was in my favorite gun store earlier today when someone came in looking for ammo only. He was rude and abrasive when asking about ammo and he certainly was no regular. He was offered ammo in the caliber he wanted but not the brand (.22LR) and he became even more rude by commenting the price was higher than he wanted to pay because the ammo was match grade. (The prices on the ammo offered were about 1/3 of what most of the box stores had been selling off brand dirty ammo for when they had it.) He left with no ammo or anything else. I left with 400 rounds of Remington Hollow Points at $6 per box and 200 rounds of exactly what I was looking for 9 MM ($40) for my wife's Boberg that was not out on the shelf. Had he been even halfway polite the owner might have sold him a box of what I bought at the same price.

We all build or destroy relationships. Maybe I have paid a few bucks more for a few things in there over the years, but I also built a relationship by understanding he has to make a buck as well. Now when I need something, he comes through for me, just like he does for all of his loyal customers.

Great answer Chance! I live in the People's Republic of Illinois as well! I have built a relationship with an FFL and he gets me the ammo I need at a reasonable price because I have brought him other business! Relationships matter! Mega is a nice store but their Friendliness level seems to have gone down a bit since all this gun ban stuff started. Just my 2 cents.

KJG67 03-27-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draggin10s (Post 1188352)
Great answer Chance! I live in the People's Republic of Illinois as well! I have built a relationship with an FFL and he gets me the ammo I need at a reasonable price because I have brought him other business! Relationships matter! Mega is a nice store but their Friendliness level seems to have gone down a bit since all this gun ban stuff started. Just my 2 cents.

I completely understand what both of you are saying. I know of three stores that I bought 9mm at today, all in the $16/50 round range. Two of which I called and asked politely if they had any in stock and they told me yes. One was a drive-by that had some in stock. None of the WallyWorlds I called that I would be passing by had any, however they've gotten smart and told the operators what they have in stock, as I'm sure Sporting Goods was getting tired of running to the phone for the same question every five minutes.

So the question is as I'm not clear if there is another meaning to your posts, should I pass along to all of you where the ammo is, or keep those relationships to myself? I was going to help my fellow FTF'ers out to help them get ammo and in hope of them starting a relationship with these shops. I will say I likely never would have gone to two of the shops, as they are way out of my way, but I was on the road and gave one a call. The two smaller stores had a good display of firearms and employees at both were super friendly. I will definitely keep them in mind if I'm looking for something in the future. Had one of them not told me they had ammo over the phone, I wouldn't have gone out to either store, and we both would have lost.

So what do I do now?


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.