Any new reports on the Pigs down by Mtn Home - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Idaho Gun Forum > Any new reports on the Pigs down by Mtn Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats good I guess.. But still kinda bums me out..

Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #12

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
Thats good I guess.. But still kinda bums me out..
It is good for the farmers...... but it would be fun to have them here. It will just have to be a hunt you travel to.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
It is good for the farmers...... but it would be fun to have them here. It will just have to be a hunt you travel to.
Indeed.. Though I havent even had a chance to go to hunting locally in a couple years.. So chances of me traveling to hunt for a pig are slim at this point.. Would like to have something closer to home with substance enough to eat.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #14

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have two brothers that live in Hawaii and they both eat a lot of pig. It isn't hunting the way they shoot pigs there. Good meat but the pigs are so plentiful it is more of a harvest. In Texas a lot of the pigs don't taste good. The best eating pigs I have read about are the ones that are mixed with Russian Boars. Most of these are on private property. Northern Calif also has great pig hunts.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #15

I like to be able to hunt pigs right here in our own back yard, but from what I read of the destruction they cause in southern states, it is undoubtedly a good thing over all, there are no wild populations in Idaho.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2423 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

And regarding to a study on pigs (The Big Ones!)
It is amazing how they can reproduce! For example:
2 Sows who each produced 6 piglets each the first year and the fact the young pigs can breed in 13 months. If 50% of the young pigs born to the two sows were female this would generate a possibility of 30 pigs total by the beginning of the third year. In fact it was stated that to hold the pig population at an even level 70% of the total population would have to be killed each year. We obviously know that does not happen. If we took the 30 pigs from the beginning of year three and 50% of them were female into year four we could have a total of 90 pigs in year four. So you can readily see why the pig population can rapidly get out of hand. Where I hunt in Texas the farmers there use to raise peanuts. But the hogs litteraly put them out of the peanut business. They would enter a field during the night and completely annihilate the crops eating and rooting up everything in sight! They now raise cotton there. One weekend a rancher we know used a Helicopter for the weekend and shot 300 pigs over the weekend.

I will be in Texas in November to contribute to the pig control as well as to get some more pig breakfast sausage with cheese and Jalapenos mixed in to get me through the next year! And I have my day and night pig thumper ready to go and sighted in! Rock River Arms 458 SOCOM w Night unit which is an ATN Night Vision PS-2 3rd Gen. Shooting Hornady 325 gr. FTX.

rra-458-socom-nv-unit.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

gunsmoke11 Likes This