Pardon granted on 25-yr old conviction. Do I need to notify NICS? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Georgia Gun Forum >

Pardon granted on 25-yr old conviction. Do I need to notify NICS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Helloydolly.

As a non dealer I cannot give you useful info like some of the other guys here but I just want ot tell you i wish you lots of luck and wish to congratulate you on your pardon.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellodolly View Post
Thanks for all of the welcomes. I wasn't getting email notices of this thread so I'm a little late.. I posted in the main Legal forum but it looks like you, c3 and the others provided me with everything I need to move ahead.

Does it usually take a long time for a UPIN request? It took almost 2 years for the pardon/restoration to be issued.
The UPIN only took a few days to get, as it was mailed to my wife. We didn't ask if it was possible to wait for it. It is a fairly quick process compared to legal action.

As I understand BATFE rules, again, C3 is correct and I agree: form 4473, question 11.c, should be answered "No." Your pardon is full forgiveness, as evidenced by the specific statement that ALL RIGHTS are restored. You are being restored to full citizen status with no restrictions. Therefore, you do not answer questions as if you are a parolee or convicted felon.

Again, you can only get in trouble for answering 11.c. As "No" if your INTENT is to defraud the government. Since you believe that you are fully restored according to your letter, then you honestly answer "No" with the intent to provide the letter as clarification if you are denied. You have no intent to defraud anyone. Therefore, there is no crime being committed by answering "No" and you should feel free to do so the same as any of us would.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #13

I got my fingerprint card done last week and pulled an updated copy of my criminal history (the pardon shows up there, including the right to own firearms), I got two cards just in case so one original will be sent in, and copies of the criminal history and the pardon from the stae will be mailed in with my VAF app.

I do have a question.. it seems obvious, but on the VAF form it requires a "REASON FOR APPLICATION". Is this a trick question? I'm applying for the UPIN to hopefully make it easier on gun shops and NICS to check my history out. Should I just be blunt and say "firearms purchase" or provide more detail?

Old 01-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #14

I know this is old, but I thought I'd reply in case someone is searching the topic.

I received a "full" felony pardon from the Governor of the State of Nebraska. In that state there are two types of pardons, A "full pardon" which restores all civil rights including the ability to own firearms and a "partial pardon" that disallows firearms. Know which one you have.

I own guns, lots of them. Where I live is a handgun permit state. My permits take longer than the average person and I generally have to submit additional information regarding my pardon. My NICS checks are ALWAYS delayed but come back proceed after a couple of days. I could fix both of these buy obtaining a concealed permit (my state is a "will issue" state).

Old 01-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

Liked 3619 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

Mosten - welcome to FTF, we appreciate your sharing your personal experience with all of us. When you get time, stop by the introduction area and give us a proper howdy do. You may want to hang around here for a while, real decent folks here mostly!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #16

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

"It may have the effect of erasing the conviction, but the record remains."

It may be worth looking into having your records expunged. I've herd that sometimes this works out well, but, most that do this hire an attorney and it does take a bit of time and costs a few dollars.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-11-2015 at 07:07 PM.