Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Georgia Gun Forum > Georgia or S Carolina ?(I'm moving)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Georgia or S Carolina ?(I'm moving)

I know this may not be easily answered, but I'm moving to either Ga or SC. I'm curious as to which state is more "gun owner friendly". Any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Wiki is always a good reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Click any of the blue categories on the right part way down the page.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws.aspx

NRA details for each state.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have lived in Georgia all my live up till now. (I hope I have some more left.) I don't know much about South Carolina gun laws but I do know a little about the ones in Georgia. Georgia is a shall issue state when it comes to Concealed Carry. The license is good for 5 years and cost either $30 or $40 (I can't remember which) for that period of time. When you get the first one it cost a little more because of the fees you pay the LEO's their time. After the first time you just go by the probate judges office and fill out the paperwork and write a check and go home and wait for it to come in the mail. I have included a map of what other states Georgia has a reciprocal agreement with for their CCW. As you can see South Carolina isn't one of them for some reason. Maybe a member from the Palmetto State can tell you more about their firearm laws. I have gone through the class III process here 3 times with no issues but thats a CLEO issue and could differ from county county.

gflrmap.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

LibertySuppressors Likes This 
Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3298 Posts
Likes Given: 11512

Georgia. South Carolina is still largely self segregated.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses so far, hoping to get more of them if possible. Again, I know the question is not easily answered. Right now, I live in the Northeast. I'm opening a can of worms, I know, but IN ADDITION to carry laws there are also other firearms laws and they are also important. For example, Ct is a "shall issue" state but has magazine capacity limits, ammo limits, new registration requirements, etc. But even in the bordering nanny state of Mass, you allowed some freedoms that Ct does not have. (Unbelievable, isn't it?). In one state you can't have a LTC, but you can't own a "black rifle". In Mass you have gun registration, but you CAN get a permit to own a Class III. In neighboring RI, you CANNOT own a Class III but you DON'T have gun registration. In New York you can have hollow points but not large capacity magazines. In New Jersey it is exactly the opposite. Vermont is very "liberal" (meanings lots of laws in general) but on the other hand you do NOT need any permit to carry concealed. Go figure!
I try to judge a state by it's general "attitude" as well. I look at things like taxes, speed limits, etc to get a feel on how much freedom the people have. As a motorcyclist, I look to see the laws on helmets. Even if I was not a motorcyclist, I think it would be a good indicator. New York, Mass, New Jersey, Calif etc all require helmets. Texas, Montana, New Hampshire, Ariz etc do not. Of course, there are other factors. I do know the Southeast in general leans more toward helmet laws.... That's why I also look at taxes, speed limits, etc No matter where we go, there is no perfect place and there will be some trade offs.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I don't believe either state has any of those ridiculous laws. When I was looking into living near the border of the two states, just a couple months ago, I believe my research showed Georgia being a little better for gun owners. But considering I lived in Kaliornia at the time, South Carolina wasn't bad at all.

I'll get you specifics in a few hours when I'm not on the road anymore.

Just curious, is North Carolina an option?

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #7

SC gun laws are pretty lenient. We are an "shall issue" state and we can have large capacity mags.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #8

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Georgia:

Shall issue state.
NFA ok
No mag restriction
No permits needed for purchase of firearms or ammo
No hollow point restriction
Carry open or concealed with weapons carry license
Has state income tax and sales tax.
Some local juridictions don't sell alcohol on Sunday in stores, still available in bars.

Don't know much about S. Carolina
Florida is gun friendly,
No income tax, but property tax can be steep.
Permits require a class unless you were military or LE.
No helmet laws when I was over the border in GA.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I don't believe either state has any of those ridiculous laws. When I was looking into living near the border of the two states, just a couple months ago, I believe my research showed Georgia being a little better for gun owners. But considering I lived in Kaliornia at the time, South Carolina wasn't bad at all.

I'll get you specifics in a few hours when I'm not on the road anymore.

Just curious, is North Carolina an option?
Thanks to all for the responses. Regarding N Carolina, I was stationed there while serving in the Marine Corps. I LOVED the area and especially the people, but I also felt that NC was the "massachusetts of the South East". This is in NO WAY to say that NC was like Mass, but it felt that there were more rules and regs than in SC and Ga.....and when I crossed the border from NC I felt the same way as when I left Mass and entered NH. Especially entering SC (this was 35 or 40 years ago), I recall seeing huge billboards exclaiming "Fireworks.... Guns... Next Exit!" and I noticed that often speed limits were higher, etc. And I have just learned that SC has no helmet law while GA and NC do, and I do think that GA is more likely to repeal the helmet law someday compared to NC.
Aditionally, I DO feel that ANYWHERE in the Southeast is better than ANYWHERE in the Northeast and that for the most part I can't go wrong moving South. I do have to look at additional factors such as taxes, respect for freedom, government spending and debt, property values, etc. More input is most welcome.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Thanks to all for the responses. Regarding N Carolina, I was stationed there while serving in the Marine Corps. I LOVED the area and especially the people, but I also felt that NC was the "massachusetts of the South East". This is in NO WAY to say that NC was like Mass, but it felt that there were more rules and regs than in SC and Ga.....and when I crossed the border from NC I felt the same way as when I left Mass and entered NH. Especially entering SC (this was 35 or 40 years ago), I recall seeing huge billboards exclaiming "Fireworks.... Guns... Next Exit!" and I noticed that often speed limits were higher, etc. And I have just learned that SC has no helmet law while GA and NC do, and I do think that GA is more likely to repeal the helmet law someday compared to NC.
Aditionally, I DO feel that ANYWHERE in the Southeast is better than ANYWHERE in the Northeast and that for the most part I can't go wrong moving South. I do have to look at additional factors such as taxes, respect for freedom, government spending and debt, property values, etc. More input is most welcome.
Lots of folks from the northeast have moved to NC, especially the Raleigh/Durham area and in typical transplant fashion brought some progressive baggage with them. I vote GA, I just moved from WI to GA. But I did it to move back to the south, not to change the south.