Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Question about selling a long gun to a NY resident who lives in Miami

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default Question about selling a long gun to a NY resident who lives in Miami

I have a Colt M4 carbine. Its not full auto its the 6920 marked M4. I put it up for sale and I got a call from a guy in Miami who says he is moving here. He currently has a NY DL.

I am a bit suspicious because he kept telling me he did not have a Florida DL and that he has cash. He said that a gun shop said if he could find a face to face sale, but they could not sell to the him.

I don't really need to sell the gun and surely don't want to do it illegally no matter what the price. I just sold a Ruger 10/22 to a man who is a Canadian Citizen but is residing in FL and has a FL DL and green card. I called the local police and they came out to the parking lot where we were meeting and he said it was fine.

The Canadian sale said and showed me where he purchased three pistols the day before from a gun shop.
The private sale of guns can be very confusing. And I don't want some NY news hack to be buying a gun for some article showing how easy it is to get a AR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6040 Times on 3309 Posts
Likes Given: 11556

Trust your instincts.

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 04-01-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

NY is touchy.

I would not recommend any sale until he has the FL driver's license in hand.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Excuse me-

IT IS NOT LEGAL TO SELL ANY GUN TO AN OUT OF STATER
Unless you are a dealer- then you can sell him a rifle or shotgun IF the laws of his home state permit.

A non-licensee may sell to a resident of his own state only, or to a FFL in any state.

The Canadian is a resident alien- no problem. The Noo Yawker- is a problem. Don't. Really. Don't.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-01-2013 at 03:41 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6040 Times on 3309 Posts
Likes Given: 11556

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Excuse me-

IT IS NOT LEGAL TO SELL ANY GUN TO AN OUT OF STATER
Unless you are a dealer- then you can sell him a rifle or shotgun IF the laws of his home state permit.

A non-licensee may sell to a resident of his own state only, or to a FFL in any state.

The Canadian is a resident alien- no problem. The Noo Yawker- is a problem. Don't. Really. Don't.
I looked it up and you are correct. I have purchased long guns at a few out of state gun shows. They always say no pistol sales to nonresidents but I never once had a problem getting a long gun from an individual or dealer. I had no idea it was wrong.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Did not mean to yell- but a sale by a non-FFL holder to a resident of another state is a Federal felony. And yes, ATF has been prosecuting people.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

MisterMcCool Likes This