Open knife carry - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Open knife carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 446 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
for me a knife is more of a tool than a weapon of sorts. i use my knife constantly throughout the day. several years ago i started buying cheaper knives for work, simply because if i broke one, or i lost it, then it wouldn't be a heartbreaking or wallet denter if it happened. i'd much rather lose or break a $10 knife than a nicer and more expensive knife.

i have several fixed blade knives, but i very seldom ever even use them, much less carry them.
That's how I view knives as well. People who think they are weapons are just idiots. Anything in the wrong hands can be a weapon...

I personally don't buy cheap knives anymore. I EDC a $300 folder, and plan on buying more expensive knives to carry. If you use a knife for what it was designed to do, you won't ever break it. As far as losing goes, that's just unlucky.

I'll eventually carry fixed blades when I have the funds to buy some nicer ones. Maybe a ESEE or a smaller Bark River.

Last edited by Franklin1995; 05-12-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2627 Times on 1832 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I am sure its not a terrible place. Reading from an outside perspective posts like carrying two firearms ,carrying a firearm around the house some taking it to the toilet shower etc with them. The obvious question is are things that bad there if people feel that threatened.
The answer is no, they are not. We are probably the safest large country on the planet. People who like weapons often exaggerate their need to be armed. They like to spend hours preparing for, and discussing the shootout that will almost certainly never happen. I am telling you that as an honest adult.

The Constitution protects our right to keep and bear. No excuses are necessary, for now. Some people work themselves up into the SHTF frenzy, well, because they are free to do so as well.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
That's how I view knives as well. People who think they are weapons are just idiots. Anything in the wrong hands can be a weapon...

I personally don't buy cheap knives anymore. I EDC a $300 folder, and plan on buying more some day to carry. If you use a knife for what it was designed to do, you won't ever break it. As far as losing goes, that's just unlucky.

I'll eventually carry fixed blades when I have the funds to buy some nicer ones. Maybe a ESEE or a smaller Bark River.
i work on various types construction equipment, so i am constantly climbing up on them, getting under them on creepers, and having a fixed blade knifeon my side would be always getting in the way. i use a folder with a clip that is in my front RH jeans pocket so it's easy to get to if i need it.

if i need a weapon, i'm likely to do more damage with the ball peen hammer or the 12" crescent wrench in my hand!

i'm hard on my work knives! i am not gentle in the least with them when i'm working. so far, i have had pretty decent luck with the ones i buy for work. so far i haven't lost one in a while or broke one. i do buy a new one if i see something i like and want to try out, and relegate the older one to a box to be sharpened and kept if needed.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i work on various types construction equipment, so i am constantly climbing up on them, getting under them on creepers, and having a fixed blade knifeon my side would be always getting in the way. i use a folder with a clip that is in my front RH jeans pocket so it's easy to get to if i need it.

if i need a weapon, i'm likely to do more damage with the ball peen hammer or the 12" crescent wrench in my hand!

i'm hard on my work knives! i am not gentle in the least with them when i'm working. so far, i have had pretty decent luck with the ones i buy for work. so far i haven't lost one in a while or broke one. i do buy a new one if i see something i like and want to try out, and relegate the older one to a box to be sharpened and kept if needed.
I'm hard on my knives as well. Check out the Kershaw Blur, that thing can take some abuse. That blade will not rust either, which is a huge plus in my book. You can find them for around $40-$50 online, so not something you'll cry about if you lose it.

Oh, and did I mention the best part? It's made in America!!!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:13 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I carry an ESEE 3-MIL every day, everywhere, and sometimes an ESEE Izula. I refuse to carry a folder anymore after I had a liner lock failure on a kershaw that took a good bite out of me.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter View Post
I carry an ESEE 3-MIL every day, everywhere, and sometimes an ESEE Izula. I refuse to carry a folder anymore after I had a liner lock failure on a kershaw that took a good bite out of me.
What Kershaw was it? I haven't heard of many of those failing unless they were put under some hard hard use.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:22 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
What Kershaw was it? I haven't heard of many of those failing unless they were put under some hard hard use.

It was a Leek. I HAD two of them, and had one for a long long time, one day I went to stab into a fish to make the scale/skin cut along the spine to filet it and the liner failed and tried to close. My pointer fingers bone kept it from closing. I threw them both in the trash can. I have a SOG Twitch that I kept, but it does not get any hard use. Mostly opening mail, and cat food bags.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter View Post
It was a Leek. I HAD two of them, and had one for a long long time, one day I went to stab into a fish to make the scale/skin cut along the spine to filet it and the liner failed and tried to close. My pointer fingers bone kept it from closing. I threw them both in the trash can. I have a SOG Twitch that I kept, but it does not get any hard use. Mostly opening mail, and cat food bags.
I'll use my folders hard, but not to the point where it's abuse. I reserve those jobs for my fixed blades. I don't buy knives with ANY vertical blade play though, that's just asking for trouble.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Best knives ever. Price/quality/warranty is not matchable.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I'll use my folders hard, but not to the point where it's abuse. I reserve those jobs for my fixed blades. I don't buy knives with ANY vertical blade play though, that's just asking for trouble.
I wouldn't call pushing the tip of a knife through the scales/skin of a redfish abuse, it just flat out failed. **** happens, but I'd rather it not happen again.