Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Open knife carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Open knife carry

Does anyone open carry a fixed blade knife longer than 4 inches? Florida state statue does not prohibit the open carrying of a knife, nor make any restrictions on blade length. I would like to open carry a knife, and would like to know if anyone else OCs a knife in Florida and if they have any problems with it.

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

forumrunner_20131112_232726.jpg

No, not longer than 4" but I carry a pro tech assisted on my belt, not a fan of the front pocket clip, just don't wanna risk losing a $300 knife, holds much better clipped behind the belt.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

In Germany, only hunters can carry knives longer then 3.75 inches. I carry long hunting daggers. I am allowed to go to public places before and after hunting. I know this does not help, but at least you can see how other countries deal with such laws.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I did for a bit as a civilian. But, it kept getting in the way, and I thought to myself, "Do I use this pig sticker in any way that a cheap $10-$15 knife from walmart wouldn't suffice?" The answer to that question was a loud and resounding "NO."

And so, I stopped. And never had any trouble with it when I did carry it, even though I'm pretty sure it was restricted throughout Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas where I was traveling.

I just recently acquired a Kershaw Crown. Their chinese made offering. I found it for 7 bucks. Very good quality considering the origin.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Liked 195 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm sure I've seen plenty of people wearing a fixed blade around their hip inside a sheath and I can't remember ever giving it a second thought.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
In Germany, only hunters can carry knives longer then 3.75 inches. I carry long hunting daggers. I am allowed to go to public places before and after hunting. I know this does not help, but at least you can see how other countries deal with such laws.
That is actually EXTREMELY similar to quite a few state's laws in the US. I think the vast majority of states here with a sizable rural population have a similar exception, if there are restrictions on the books.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Im not in Florida, but I have carried a 9 inch Bowie and a 7 inch as well. Only problem I had was when getting in the car and it jab me in the rids. hurt. It was like most people just ignored it. I did meet one guy from Australia, he couldn't believe I was allowed to have a knife that big at all.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762 View Post
Im not in Florida, but I have carried a 9 inch Bowie and a 7 inch as well. Only problem I had was when getting in the car and it jab me in the rids. hurt. It was like most people just ignored it. I did meet one guy from Australia, he couldn't believe I was allowed to have a knife that big at all.
That's one difference between Australia and the USA,, he's surprised your "allowed" to carry.Its that mindset that got the country disarmed.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx
Does anyone open carry a fixed blade knife longer than 4 inches? Florida state statue does not prohibit the open carrying of a knife, nor make any restrictions on blade length. I would like to open carry a knife, and would like to know if anyone else OCs a knife in Florida and if they have any problems with it.
According to Florida case law any common pocket knife under 4 inches and any normal cutting tool such as a box cutter can be carried concealed. Any knife over 4 inches, or any knife considered to be more than a common pocket knife can be open carried but it cannot be concealed.

The only knife expressly illegal in Florida is a ballistic (self opening) knife.

Your CCL does not cover pocket knives.

From my personal experience, there are quite a few law enforcement officers in different areas of Florida that are very keen on enforcing their obscure statutes that don't apply to the rest of the country. (Including on innocent couples on their honeymoon. And this is based on multiple encounters with multiple deputies and basically being chased out of Okaloosa County over a crack in my wife's windshield and just married chalk.)

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have always found it strange that in most states a CC permit allows a powerful multi-shot firearm. However you are prohibited from carrying concealed pocket knives of specified types??
Arizona's concealed carry laws also allows and covers carrying knives. Now that is a sensible law.