Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Florida Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f122/)
-   -   Open knife carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f122/open-knife-carry-99037/)

CJx 10-17-2013 02:25 PM

Open knife carry

Does anyone open carry a fixed blade knife longer than 4 inches? Florida state statue does not prohibit the open carrying of a knife, nor make any restrictions on blade length. I would like to open carry a knife, and would like to know if anyone else OCs a knife in Florida and if they have any problems with it.

304inc 11-13-2013 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 125738

No, not longer than 4" but I carry a pro tech assisted on my belt, not a fan of the front pocket clip, just don't wanna risk losing a $300 knife, holds much better clipped behind the belt.

Jagermeister 11-13-2013 03:33 AM

In Germany, only hunters can carry knives longer then 3.75 inches. I carry long hunting daggers. I am allowed to go to public places before and after hunting. I know this does not help, but at least you can see how other countries deal with such laws.

trip286 11-13-2013 03:36 AM

I did for a bit as a civilian. But, it kept getting in the way, and I thought to myself, "Do I use this pig sticker in any way that a cheap $10-$15 knife from walmart wouldn't suffice?" The answer to that question was a loud and resounding "NO."

And so, I stopped. And never had any trouble with it when I did carry it, even though I'm pretty sure it was restricted throughout Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas where I was traveling.

I just recently acquired a Kershaw Crown. Their chinese made offering. I found it for 7 bucks. Very good quality considering the origin.

GTX63 11-13-2013 01:17 PM

I'm sure I've seen plenty of people wearing a fixed blade around their hip inside a sheath and I can't remember ever giving it a second thought.

trip286 11-13-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1430353)
In Germany, only hunters can carry knives longer then 3.75 inches. I carry long hunting daggers. I am allowed to go to public places before and after hunting. I know this does not help, but at least you can see how other countries deal with such laws.

That is actually EXTREMELY similar to quite a few state's laws in the US. I think the vast majority of states here with a sizable rural population have a similar exception, if there are restrictions on the books.

spack762 11-13-2013 01:33 PM

Im not in Florida, but I have carried a 9 inch Bowie and a 7 inch as well. Only problem I had was when getting in the car and it jab me in the rids. hurt. It was like most people just ignored it. I did meet one guy from Australia, he couldn't believe I was allowed to have a knife that big at all.

304inc 11-13-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spack762 (Post 1430532)
Im not in Florida, but I have carried a 9 inch Bowie and a 7 inch as well. Only problem I had was when getting in the car and it jab me in the rids. hurt. It was like most people just ignored it. I did meet one guy from Australia, he couldn't believe I was allowed to have a knife that big at all.

That's one difference between Australia and the USA,, he's surprised your "allowed" to carry.Its that mindset that got the country disarmed.

DeltaF 11-13-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJx
Does anyone open carry a fixed blade knife longer than 4 inches? Florida state statue does not prohibit the open carrying of a knife, nor make any restrictions on blade length. I would like to open carry a knife, and would like to know if anyone else OCs a knife in Florida and if they have any problems with it.

According to Florida case law any common pocket knife under 4 inches and any normal cutting tool such as a box cutter can be carried concealed. Any knife over 4 inches, or any knife considered to be more than a common pocket knife can be open carried but it cannot be concealed.

The only knife expressly illegal in Florida is a ballistic (self opening) knife.

Your CCL does not cover pocket knives.

From my personal experience, there are quite a few law enforcement officers in different areas of Florida that are very keen on enforcing their obscure statutes that don't apply to the rest of the country. (Including on innocent couples on their honeymoon. And this is based on multiple encounters with multiple deputies and basically being chased out of Okaloosa County over a crack in my wife's windshield and just married chalk.)

nitestalker 11-13-2013 03:39 PM

I have always found it strange that in most states a CC permit allows a powerful multi-shot firearm. However you are prohibited from carrying concealed pocket knives of specified types??
Arizona's concealed carry laws also allows and covers carrying knives. Now that is a sensible law.:)