Open Carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Open Carry

I'm here today to talk to you about open carry. Open Carry is the carrying of a weapon in plain view. Think "Police Officers". They carry their guns in plain view.

You may have heard that the NRA is trying to push Florida Legislators to vote in favor of open carry in 2013. Some of you may be in favor of this. Some of you will not. Let's look at this for a minute before any of us make a decision.

Florida used to be an open carry state up until 1987, when it was changed to concealed. "Yeah, but not many people carry a concealed weapon." As of June 30, 2012, there were 944,582 ACTIVE concealed weapon permits. The 2011 census shows that Florida had a population of 19,057,542. That's a 1:20 ratio. Let's look at it this way. When you shop at Wal-Mart in Florida, 10 people are carrying a loaded weapon. When you are paying at the register, somebody in line behind you has a loaded firearm.

"Guns are dangerous and kill people." Really? How many times have you been shot at Wal-Mart? Target? The drug store? Publix? None?! Shocker. Guns do not kill people. Baseball bats do not kill people. Axes do not kill people. Automobiles do not kill people. People kill people. The jealous wife shoots her cheating husband. The robber shoots the clerk. The gun did nothing. I have owned a gun EVERY DAY of my life from the time I was 8. I still have my first gun.......and it still hasn't killed anyone.

"Open carry will incite panic. People won't want to go anywhere if there's a bunch of guns." You lock the doors in your car while you drive. You have smoke alarms and burglar alrms in your home. Why? Because they make you feel safe. Wouldn't you feel much safer knowing that if someone tries to rob the store you are in someone can protect you? Maybe the guns on the side of their hips prevent the crime altogether? Now, the clerk, everyone in the store and all of their families were all saved because the crook seen a revolver through the glass. Or look at it from this angle. You put a sign in your front yard advertising that you have ADT or another home alarm company. You have a flashing red light on the dashboard of your car to alert passersby that you have an alarm. Why? To lessen the chance of a break in or theft. Why not do the same for your person? Surely it is better to protect yourself over a car or home. That gun may save your life without even having to use it!

"Well, if you just have your gun all hanging out for everyone to see, the bad guy can just come up and take it from you." First, it's not just hanging out there. Open carry holsters have things in place to retain the gun in it's holster to prevent this. Most holsters are designed to prevent the removal of a weapon from a holster when pulled from the rear or the side. Some have snapped straps. Some have catches that hug the back of the weapon. Some have lever activated locks. Also, the bad guy is going to assume that if you are carrying it, you know how to use it and are probably trained to use it quickly and accurately. Him grabbing your gun will cause you to fight back and cause a struggle, thus defeating the purpose of having the gun. The bad guy wants to make this as easy for himself as possible and rolling around on the floor with you is not in his half-assed plan.

Open carry is no different than concealed carry other than you can see the weapon. There won't be anymore accidents than carrying concealed. There's not going to be wild west type shoot outs over parking spaces. Crime is not going to go up. The State will be safer for it. Please vote in favor of the open carry should it come to vote. Please vote Sheriffs, legislators, etc. who are in favor of open caryy, or, at least, pro 2nd Amendment. Please share this with your friends by posting on forums, blogs, facebook and other social media websites.

Last edited by fapprez; 08-10-2012 at 01:08 AM.
big shrek Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

We are 1 of only 6 states that do not allow the ability to openly carry. Im all for it. Who ever that disgrace of a Sheriff is who basteredized the open carry bill last year should fired.

I should buy a fishing pole just so that I can "warn" people about the potential hazard of fishing in areas that alligators are know to habit.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I wont hold my breath. We have far too many liberals in high places that will not let open carry pass. Need I remind anyone of the raw feces spewed from the mouth of Jim Coates? The hearings last year in July should be a constant reminder to Floridians to turn off the tv and vote.
We have many in power that p*ss on our rights and current laws. Leesburg refusing to allow concealed weapons in public parks, in direct violation of state law for an entire year until GOA sued them.

We have an uphill battle for open carry.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

With elections coming up, this could be a question to ask the candidates their stance on support.

(Especially the Sheriff).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's time to pay attention and vote accordingly

Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I am okay with open carry, though I believe I will still continue to carry concealed.

I am also a hockey junkey who looks at lots of newspapers to see what they might have on the NHL. Unfortunately our Florida newspapers ase violently liberal, and completely anti gun. Here is a column from the Tampa Bay Times written negatively about open carry due to an incident that had nothing to do with open carry.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/the-nras-push-for-guns-that-changes-everything/1245267

The incident was a dispute between two neighbors in which stand your ground was invoked after a shooting. Not being there, I have no idea if it was a good stand your ground or not. However using that as a basis to deny open carry is a bit far fetched.

I found this while looking for antoher columm discussing current Sherrif candidates talking about position on open carry. I saw that the other day and have not relocated it.

In Orlando, the Orange County Sherrif, Chief Demins is anti open carry, and in fact anti carry. His wife, while chief of police of Orlando allegedly went into the house with groceries, and left her service pistol on the roof of her car. So they may be the first family of law enforcement in Orange County, FL. but not who I want making decisions for me.

Here is another column from the same paper on the open carry.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/legislature/marion-hammer-nra-wants-new-open-carry-gun-law-in-florida/1244820

Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/florida-gun-control-unconstitutional-70139/#post901009

Link to thread I just started in the concealed carry and personal protection page. This might be a way for us to get open carry without having to wait for our idiot legislators to pass an open carry bill.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big shrek Likes This 
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
With elections coming up, this could be a question to ask the candidates their stance on support.

(Especially the Sheriff).
Good luck with that...

Our R MI state senate lead will not let a great new bill to reach to the floor. Somebody drove by his house, and it's FILLED with D advertisements {sigh}. Even with our open carry, and the state police putting out an update to all LEO's, we still have legal OC citizens getting arrested. Our sheriff's association came out against the open carry, and CC expansion.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default In Support

I recall when I lived in S.C back in the 70's and they had an open carry law. I thought it was great then and support such now.
Yes, it may scare some people to see me walking around with a gun exposed. Good.
In a situation where I may need it it will be easier to access for me and the real goal is that when it is seen so I will never have to access it.
Will write my gov't reps about this asap.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

IIRC, Open carry is allowed at your place of business if you own the operation.

So if I sell fake Rolexes from my trenchcoat........

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)