Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Moving to Jacksonville in November

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Glad to hear it! Maybe I'll run into you up there sometime!
I heard that OP was getting a range somewhere off of Blanding? Is there any truth to that rumor? I know the proposed range at the beach has been shot down

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #12

Liked 142 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

I heard that OP was getting a range somewhere off of Blanding? Is there any truth to that rumor? I know the proposed range at the beach has been shot down
There is one being built on Wells Road Orange Park. Due to open in March. You can see it from 295 next to an RV place. It is called On Target Sports and they already have a website up.

There is also one down on College Drive which is off Blanding but I am not sure if it is open or not yet. I found their Facebook page but that's all.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaddydaddy
I work in Jax, but live an hour out into the country.
Bullseye is an indoor range on the eastside that seems to get good reviews.
Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club on the westside has a large following, is an outdoor range, and has seperate areas for rifle and handgun. Membership is $100 per year.
West of Jax in the Lake City area is a state run, unsupervised, outdoor range in the Osceola National Forest. Free.
I live close to the state line and shoot in Georgia at a WMA just south of Waycross. Outdoor range, covered firing line, 40 yard side, 100 yard side. Unsupervised. Cost is the price of a Georgia Outdoor Recreation Permit - $20 per year.
Hey there. Are shotguns allowed at the WMA range? Having a hard time finding a place to take mine in Jax.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
Hey there. Are shotguns allowed at the WMA range? Having a hard time finding a place to take mine in Jax.
As long as you don't shoot over the berm. I shoot mine there every trip, and there's lots of wads & casings on the ground.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaddydaddy
As long as you don't shoot over the berm. I shoot mine there every trip, and there's lots of wads & casings on the ground.
Ok good to know. I also may check out the one near Lake City. It's a bit closer to me.

I did find out that Gateway which is very close to where I live will allow visitors to shoot shotguns too but in a limited area.

I am thinking of joining the new range on Wells Rd when it opens. Assuming ammo is more plentiful by then.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #16

Liked 676 Times on 527 Posts

try this.....

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/FL

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Ok good to know. I also may check out the one near Lake City. It's a bit closer to me.

I did find out that Gateway which is very close to where I live will allow visitors to shoot shotguns too but in a limited area.

I am thinking of joining the new range on Wells Rd when it opens. Assuming ammo is more plentiful by then.
I have not been out to the Lake City range (Osceola National Forest) in several years, it's 70 miles one way for me, but they used to have signs saying no shotguns. And there are "range officers" there sometimes, from a group called Friends Of The Osceola Forest.
One time I had on a Vietnam veteran T-shirt and was using live 45 ACP rounds for ear plugs (an old Army trick), and one of these "range officers" told me I was scaring other shooters and gave me some foam plugs and insisted I wear them.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #18

Looks like I will be going to Gateway then. I can shoot everything I want to there and I would spend more in gas than range fees going to lake city or up into Georgia.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Looks like I will be going to Gateway then. I can shoot everything I want to there and I would spend more in gas than range fees going to lake city or up into Georgia.
To actually join Gateway as a member is $100 per year. If I lived in Jacksonville I most likely would do so. I understand they have matches for Garands and other programs that interest me.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #20

I know they have IDPA matches. Seen some video on YouTube and spoke to a guy that participated. Looks like fun.