Home protection while drinking - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Florida Gun Forum > Home protection while drinking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Read number 5
Lol, I failed so hard. How could I miss that

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
Lol, I failed so hard. How could I miss that
If you have spent any time reading Florida Statute it's very easy to do. The punishment is always the last line. Well, they fooled us this time.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #33

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I know this thread is really old, but I thought this was important to add. Florida's Castle Doctrine states that when someone enters your home without your consent you are PRESUMED to be in fear of your life. You don't have to prove or articulate why you were in fear of your life, you are automatically in fear of your life from the law's standpoint.

According to the Castle Doctrine law, they cannot say that because of your intoxication level you weren't able to determine if you were in fear of your life. You are presumed to be in fear of your life when someone enters your home without your consent regardless of your BAC.

When looking at the 790 Statutes, the answer would be yes. You can defend yourself/home with lethal force regardless of intoxication level in Florida.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I know this thread is really old, but I thought this was important to add. Florida's Castle Doctrine states that when someone enters your home without your consent you are PRESUMED to be in fear of your life. You don't have to prove or articulate why you were in fear of your life, you are automatically in fear of your life from the law's standpoint.

According to the Castle Doctrine law, they cannot say that because of your intoxication level you weren't able to determine if you were in fear of your life. You are presumed to be in fear of your life when someone enters your home without your consent regardless of your BAC.

When looking at the 790 Statutes, the answer would be yes. You can defend yourself/home with lethal force regardless of intoxication level in Florida.
Interesting. Good to know. However, I still think there is more than a few DA's out there that would still try to prosecute you. Glad to know that their chances of that are slim.

*Oh and yes, when I saw this thread come back up I just thought "oh boy, this again"!!!*

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

I think if you have had a few and know how to handle yourself you will be okay, However if you are drunk, you will have to anser more questions and there are to many procecuting attorneys looking to make a name for their self.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #36

Liked 28 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

old thread, redacted

Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post

while this is true it will boil down to was it a drunken argument that turned into "self defense" or was it an actual case of defense??

castle doctrine in florida and wisconsin are identical since wisconsin copied florida. it does not mean your in fear of life it only says the presumption is such. the police cannot assume it was murder they have to start from a presumption of defense unless there is evidence otherwise. it is NOT a license to kill anyone in your home.

in other words you cannot claim self defense by shooting someone and dragging them inside to die. or telling some guy "hey come in here" then popping him" and saying he wasnt invited. or coming home to your wife humping the milkman and killing him then claim castle defense.

castle doctrine merely shifts the presumption of homicide to one of self defense. so instead of YOU having to prove it was defense the police have to prove it was NOT defense. its a simple subtle distinction in line with the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. it doesnt mean there wont be an investigation and it doesnt mean you wont be arrested or detained

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
while this is true it will boil down to was it a drunken argument that turned into "self defense" or was it an actual case of defense??

castle doctrine in florida and wisconsin are identical since wisconsin copied florida. it does not mean your in fear of life it only says the presumption is such. the police cannot assume it was murder they have to start from a presumption of defense unless there is evidence otherwise. it is NOT a license to kill anyone in your home.

in other words you cannot claim self defense by shooting someone and dragging them inside to die. or telling some guy "hey come in here" then popping him" and saying he wasnt invited. or coming home to your wife humping the milkman and killing him then claim castle defense.

castle doctrine merely shifts the presumption of homicide to one of self defense. so instead of YOU having to prove it was defense the police have to prove it was NOT defense. its a simple subtle distinction in line with the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. it doesnt mean there wont be an investigation and it doesnt mean you wont be arrested or detained
in Texas, it's pretty close to the same as Florida and Wisconsin in regards to the Castle Law.

anyone who thinks they use deadly force in their home and claims it's self defence and think they are not going to investigate the shooting is either foolish or naive.

now as long as the evidence supports the statements and the events that took place, a person should be alright. the problems start arising when the evidence and the facts aren't lining up with what is being told to LE.

and dragging the body inside? that's just wrong on several accounts. first being, it raises questions, because they can tell a body was moved, such as why would somebody move the body. raises suspicions about the events. second thing is, it's called tampering with evidence. that in itself is a criminal act.

that was why GZ was not arrested and was never charged by the police. the evidence supported what he told LE in his statements.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
in Texas, it's pretty close to the same as Florida and Wisconsin in regards to the Castle Law.

anyone who thinks they use deadly force in their home and claims it's self defence and think they are not going to investigate the shooting is either foolish or naive.

now as long as the evidence supports the statements and the events that took place, a person should be alright. the problems start arising when the evidence and the facts aren't lining up with what is being told to LE.

and dragging the body inside? that's just wrong on several accounts. first being, it raises questions, because they can tell a body was moved, such as why would somebody move the body. raises suspicions about the events. second thing is, it's called tampering with evidence. that in itself is a criminal act.

that was why GZ was not arrested and was never charged by the police. the evidence supported what he told LE in his statements.
In Mo. Stand your ground can be on your property and not just in your house, I would think Texas is the same way.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
In Mo. Stand your ground can be on your property and not just in your house, I would think Texas is the same way.
the Castle Law in Texas covers your home, your property, your vehicle adn even your workplace.